Family member refuses

Options

Replies

• amy_fulk
    Options
    Oh my goodness...I take care of my 94 year old Grandad and would never take him to workout! Your Granny must be in excellent shape if she can go to the gym, so see that itself as quite a blessing for you both! =] I changed my entire eating habits and exercise regimen thinking that my family would see how healthy I am and that would motivate them to get into the routine as well. My family are tall-broad-shouldered-with-wide-hips kind of people and ever since I was in high school I've promised myself to never get to the size of some. I know they are trying a little bit more now, but it worries me that it's just not enough and they lose the motivation that they did have. But I also wouldn't push or force any family member to do anything because sometimes that alone does enough damage.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Just tell granny that if she doesn't start exercising, she'll be dead in 5 years. Oh wait ...
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I want my loved ones to bit fit, healthy and active. I struggle with my mom, who has had a valve replacement surgery and was told to adhere to a low-sodium diet. She seems to think eating everything she can out of a box, can or jar is fine as long as she doesn't add table salt. But the truth is you are really only responsible for yourself – and heaven knows you can't convince anyone to make a change they aren't ready to make. Live your healthy lifestyle, enjoy it and hope that your good health and happiness are an inspiration to others.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Steal her false teeth. Dangle them about 4 feet in front of the treadmill and then turn her loose.
  • Trimi
    Trimi Posts: 57
    Options
    She's 92 and you want her to lift and run? Um... you need to reconsider what you're doing here.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    This post would be so much more fun if (rhymes with) Samberta were here!:noway:
    Edited to (rhymes with) so I don't get reported!
  • sullus
    Options
    She's 92 and you want her to lift and run? Um... you need to reconsider what you're doing here.

I know, right? Where's the nutrition plan?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Just going to go with this: she's 92...what the **** does she care what she weighs? There's no 'getting sexy' at 92. There's no 'increasing your life by another 40 years' at 92. If she truly gave a rat's *kitten*, she'd already have been taking care of herself for the other 80+ years, and not just suddenly switching on for the last couple because you want her to.
  • mlondon8509
    mlondon8509 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Just break up with her
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

It's like youve never even heard of Jack LaLanne
  • sullus
    Options
    Just going to go with this: she's 92...what the **** does she care what she weighs? There's no 'getting sexy' at 92. There's no 'increasing your life by another 40 years' at 92. If she truly gave a rat's *kitten*, she'd already have been taking care of herself for the other 80+ years, and not just suddenly switching on for the last couple because you want her to.

But there's a big day coming up, and she just *has* to fit into that nice coffin she got for it ...
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    OMG! SERIOUSLY??????

She's 92....let her be!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

Yeah, GRANDMA, it's a bit late now, don't you think? Those milkshakes ain't bringing anyone to the yard. Should have thought about this 60 years ago!
  • Shabadu
    Shabadu Posts: 211
    Options
    Just break up with her

lol
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to leave this here. Special offer on Thursdays - same day servicing and free return delivery.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/892980-free-sarcasm-detector-servicing
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I dunno, she's 92.

If I make it to 92, I'm going to eat whatever the hell I want, snort cocaine and have unprotected sex with prostitutes.

^I plan to implement that exact lifestyle in my 80's.

Also, I'm kinda amazed at the people taking this question seriously.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of cardio.

Even if you chase her with the car?
  • shygur
    shygur Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Having been on the other side of this situation, you can't force someone who doesn't want to change. Getting fit is a personal choice. There's nothing wrong with a little encouragement, but in the end it's your grandmother's decision.

THIS!
  • jzebracki
    jzebracki Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have a 76-year old aunt who is about 100 pounds overweight. For years, I have been trying to get her to lose weight. Her doctors have even implored her to lose weight, because the older you get, the more problems the extra weight causes for your body. She has had both knees replaced, which was necessitated by the extra weight, and her recovery time was much longer because it takes so much to move around. I would give anything for her to make some effort, but she won't budge, and I have to accept that. It is her life. She must be motivated, and, as we all know, we all reach that stage at different times and for different reasons.

I don't know how overweight your granny is or how long she has been that way, but it has to be very hard for someone of that age to work out at a gym if she hasn't done anything in years. Rather than bringing her to the gym, perhaps you could start out with some stretches and nice slow walks with her to let her slowly build up her endurance. Muscles and body parts that haven't been used for a long time take time to loosen up -- plus, you must remember she is 92!!! So, rather than chiding her about how long she can do something, you must be supportive of her and remember to work on HER schedule. Five minutes of something today can turn into ten minutes of something by next week and maybe 15 minutes in two weeks. Take it slow. Make it an enjoyable time with your granny. Praise her for the little things. Be happy that she is still well enough to get to a gym at 92!
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Well, she is 92!! I'm sure she does get tired. Not to mention, at 92 years old most people are pretty stuck in their ways.

I agree, If I was 92 years of age the last thing I would be worried about is a treadmill I want to enjoy the last few years I have in this world. Anyways there are other ways and means of taking her out, why not go for a walk? Furthermore I seriously think you should be more worried about yourself then coming down so hard on your grandmother, she obviously done something right to make it to 92. When you get to that age I would love to hear you complain and moan about exercise. What were you like when you were 60lbs heavier?

As for using barbells or whatever, are you really serious??? She's 92 for gods sake!!! Anything heavier than a sandwich is probably going to be too heavy for her to lift.