Family member refuses

Options

Replies

• MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    She might find it boring.

I would suggest trampolining (favourite of many old ladies of my acquaintance) or circus school.
  • theJamesHey
    Options
    My Grammy wouldn't run without complaining either, so I tied a rope around her waist and the bumper of the pickup. At speed, you really can't hear her complain.
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    I dunno, she's 92.

If I make it to 92, I'm going to eat whatever the hell I want, snort cocaine and have unprotected sex with prostitutes.

What - no drunken Vegas weekends where you wake up married to some younger 70-something who's name you dont know?

slacker
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    im pissing my pants laughing, the best thread ever.

On a serious note...unless you are a certified trainer, or medical person, you could really seriously harm her by forcing her to exercise. better sign her up for a class for seniors as mentioned by another poster

You obviously don't know the OP. He actually IS a trainer, and a great one at that.

He is super supportive of my Journey, he does boxing with me in the mornings via Skype every day, even though we live an ocean apart.

Please be more sensitive to people here.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    put Matlock or Murder She Wrote on the tv infront of the treadmill she will be totally entertained and not even realize she has been walking for an hour

Another brilliant suggestionn

The only problem I see with it is that it might make everyone else at the gym fall asleep.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    HI everyone

I've been on MFP for a while now. I lost 60lbs lifting heavy and eating in a calorie deficit and doing occasional cardio. My problem isn't with me. It's with my granny. She's 92 years old and absolutely refuses to lose weight.

I take her to the gym and stick her on the treadmill and after 5 minutes she complains she's tired?!

I got her started on Stronglifts 5x5 and she refuses to even lift up the barbell?

Do any of you have lazy family members? What did you do to kick their rear in gear so to speak?

I love my granny and want her to be healthy.

Dont be ridiculous 92 yrs old, come on, I would tell you to go fly off an airplane yourself without a parachute and leave me to my self. At that age you would be lucky to survive another year without worrying about whether or not you need to lose weight.

That said, yes there are lazy people in every family. I would worry about myself and not care about if they are working out with me. My life change will eventually rub off on them.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

On a serious note...unless you are a certified trainer, or medical person, you could really seriously harm her by forcing her to exercise. better sign her up for a class for seniors as mentioned by another poster

You obviously don't know the OP. He actually IS a trainer, and a great one at that.

He is super supportive of my Journey, he does boxing with me in the mornings via Skype every day, even though we live an ocean apart.

This.

Jeez, some people are so cruel...
  • Cr01502
    Options

Thank you.

And my Granny thanks you.

People here are RUDE!!
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Several of the replies on this thread just plain worry me. Seriously. Granny with a barbell. Awesomeness hahaha.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyi4-zG8PhQLVlcX-aiij8j6UlW4uXRpwXRSdUgsdUreXfac42_w
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Have you tried attaching any weight to her knitting needles? She might not notice the needles are "changed" if her vision is quite bad, and she'll be getting in a good upper body workout that way.
  • Cr01502
    Options
    Have you tried attaching any weight to her knitting needles? She might not notice the needles are "changed" if her vision is quite bad, and she'll be getting in a good upper body workout that way.

Thanks for your suggestion.

I did try something similar.

She pulled the old "arthritis" card and used it as an excuse to smoke a doobie and "veg" out.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Have you considered entering her in some form of Blood Sport? Great way for her to supplement her pension and stay fit!

Couple tears dropped from laughing....
  • scrapscot
    scrapscot Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    So, have her watch this exercise teacher who is 97 years old:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m0KjKeF_hY
  • Wickedone1973
    Options
    This has to be a troll. No way it's a real post.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I don't want to seem insensitive and I really don't know how to ask, but is she in a nursing home?

She refuses to go.

I think she'd be happier there.

I'm just trying to find out how you can get to her meds. There's a pre-workout supplement called JACK3D which is basically all amphetamines. It'll get her motivated and give her enough energy to actually do something with herself instead of coasting to the end of life's Journey.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options

Thanks for your suggestion.

I did try something similar.

She pulled the old "arthritis" card and used it as an excuse to smoke a doobie and "veg" out.

She's not lazy she's stoned out of her mind. Put her wheelchair on the treadmill, release the brake, done.
  • Cr01502
    Options
    I don't want to seem insensitive and I really don't know how to ask, but is she in a nursing home?

She refuses to go.

I think she'd be happier there.

I'm just trying to find out how you can get to her meds. There's a pre-workout supplement called JACK3D which is basically all amphetamines. It'll get her motivated and give her enough energy to actually do something with herself instead of coasting to the end of life's Journey.

Another brilliant plan.

I've already replaced most of her food with Meal Replacement Shakes and whey protein but never thought to give her preworkout fuel.

I'll look into Jack3d.

Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My mother is 82 and is not pencil thin, nor is she obese. And she eats a healthy diet. She has been within 10# of the same weight for the last 20 yrs or so. She complained to her Dr a few weeks ago how hard it was to lose weight now and he told her that at 82, she could darned well stop worrying about trying to lose weight, and celebrate being 82.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    The problem is that nobody wants their family to interfere in their lives.

Pitch it to The Biggest Loser folks to focus on geriatric obesity on the next round the way they did childhood obesity this year. Then sign granny up. When Jillian shows up at her door, she'll have no choice but to fall in line, and as a bonus, they'll send a nutritionist to her house to get rid of all her junk food! She'll be an inspiration to millions of viewers, and be none-the-wiser about your role in the whole thing.