Black Team week 13!!!!!!!!!!

Options

Replies

• 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,759 Member
    Options
    Mother of the Year over here! My youngest will be 10 this month. He's the age the other kids stopped 'believing' in Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc. I sort of bugged him at Christmas to find out what he thought. I realize now, it was for my behalf, it was easier if he didn't believe. He's a smart kid, he had his doubts, but I confirmed it.

I mentioned yesterday how low key our Easter was going to be. We never do that much but I always do baskets with some cany, some little toys and hide them and hide eggs. We didn't do any of that. I got the kids some candy and called it a day.

I went to tuck in Alex and he was sobbing hysterically that since 'I told him about Santa and all that stuff that holidays weren't fun anymore'. He said we didn't do anything today like we usually do. I mentioned to him that none of the other kids were home anyway and he told me I should have made them all stay.

Here's what I overlooked. Even though the other kids were his age when they stopped believing, they still got to do all the fun stuff, because Alex was younger and I kept it going for him. Suddenly when he stopped believing I came to a screeching halt with it. I was more wrapped up in working on the deck than caring if he had a fun Easter.

Mother of the Year for sure. Of course when I told hubs he gave the disgusted 'grow up kid' grunt and said he knows how to play me. He does, I'd buy him a puppy now if it would make it better. I feel so bad. I'm not sure how to make it better. Alex told me I took away all the fun stuff of being a kid. Talk about knife in the heart.

Of course all this came in the midst of my husband having some sort of maniac, rabid dog sun poison itch on his back. I have never seen anything like it. Truly. Never. I have no way to even describe it. The worst part, as he was totally freaking out and jumping up and down and saying rub there, ohhh, not there, down there, ouch, pins and needles, more lotion and on and on and in obvious total agony, all I could do was laugh because the behavior was so out of character and totally bizzare. Add wife of the year to my trophy while you are at it.

Needless to say, it really wasn't a bad day until about an hour ago.......
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Lori-- you just crack me up. Even when I'm feeling so bad for your story, you end up making me giggle.

Hugs to you-- just hate it when the kids lay it on like that-- love to Alex-- and his mama.
  • retrobaby
    retrobaby Posts: 613 Member
    Options

Now everyone route for Duke tomorrow night because if they win….I win the pool!!! $200!

Oh, Donna a woman after my own heart GO DUKE!!! Love your fellow Big, Big, Big DUKE fan!
  • retrobaby
    Options
    Lori- I don't like peeps either. They are so cute and fun to look at, but yuck. I love me some chocolate! Love the pics of your hardwork outside, you're almost inspiring me. LOL You def. are doing a great job!

Tanya- Thanks for the info.

Jeannie- My house is going to explode with all the stuff my kids have. Everywhere I look there is something that belongs to them and it all my stick around. Oh my!

Shuntae- No love for Duke? Really, any hope in changing your mind?

Marla- No FB for me. I think I'm the only person on earth without FB. I'm sure pics are lovely.

Managed to do 60 "girlie" push ups today again and 100 crunches. I don't have a heart rate monitor, but felt like my heart was beating out of my chest (in a good way). Surprisingly, my abs are so sore. Has anyone ever had a cramp in their abs before? WORST feeling eveerrrrrr!!!

Oh and watched 2012 today with hubby what a depressing movie to watch. Ughhhh
  • mumsanutter
    mumsanutter Posts: 3,067 Member
    Options
    Morning all,

Well we have stripped 2 out of 5 beds this am (mine and chris's), sam and john's were changed at the end of last week, so only Tom's to change - he is going to another friends tonight so will strip it once he's gone and can get it clean overnight. Need to go to the shops today, as out of eggs and cranberry juice, and also need new shoes for Tom and a light shade for the little ones room (to try to stop them breaking their light bulbs!)

Marla - your children are adorable and your hubby looks gorgeous

Lori - I am dreading my children getting to the age where they no longer believe, no more being woken at 3am by the russle of wrapping paper on christmas morning as they raid their stockings, or no more stories about hoppy bunny and John bouncing everywhere....... actually I might not be dreading it as much as I first thought :laugh:

Jan - I wonn't watch 2012, as all of those films are majorly depressing and for some embarassing reason I always end up crying :huh:

Donna- glad that your daughter is having a good time. It is sunny at the moment, but as its a bank holiday, it will prpbably rain later :frown: . What i Duke??

Beth - slinky's?? I hope that no one was hurt. We usually end up with major arguements as one will get broken, and it is never anyones fault :huh:

Everyone else, happy monday
  • familygirl37167
    familygirl37167 Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    Howdy my friends..off to work today off tomorrow, I have enjoyed my days off..time to get back at it full fledge...this week I will hire a personal trainer...I think she will kick my tail all around the gym...Hope everyone has a great monday!!

Heading out to the gym and then work then running 5 miles this evening...cant wait!!
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! Just stopped in to say I have no time to stop in:wink::laugh: I managed to get almost everything packed last night...but a few last minute things that I can't pack until Im finished using them this morning (think toiletries stuff lol).

Ok, gonna run for now. I hope everyone has a beautiful day!:flowerforyou: It's supposed to be storming off and on today in the direction I'm driving. Ugh. I hate driving in the rain! Will check in tomorrow morning and report how the first meeting after 22 yrs went!:wink:

P.S. Tanya-- Duke is a college basketball team here in the states. They made it to the NCAA championships and won...I'm with Shuntae on this one...cant stand Duke! But, they won and I'm only happy for whoever it was (I think it was Donna?) that won $200 thanks to their win!:laugh:
  • Marla64
    Options
    Well, Roni's half right-- Duke is a university that made it to the NCAA championship-- but they haven't won, yet. Championship game is tonight.

can't imagine what Roni's mind is on, that she would make such an obvious gaffe-- ha.

My kids love Duke, and 4yo had Duke to go all the way from the very first day the Brackets came out. (more championship talk, Tanya-- brackets are big here in March) So, Josh is a pig in poop today.

Sarah and hubs just left for Daytona (Florida, for my English friend ) for her first professional event. All good golf vibes coveted. Tournament starts Friday, I believe.

Have some typing to do, then need to get the house back in order. Easter festivities and the lovely weather took the focus off the inside of the house. Amazing how quickly the laundry piles up-- sheesh.

Roni-- have a great trip.

Everyone else-- have a great day.
  • 72lori
    Options
    Tanya- I won't watch 2012 either. I don't like movies like that. I prefer a nice chick flick or comedy any day over the end of the world, suspenseful, guns and fighting stuff and horror is completely out of the question.

Roni- can't wait to hear!

Tamara- glad you enjoyed your break from work

Marla- try spending every minute of energy outside working on a hot tub/deck project for the past month, then see what happens to your house. I've had to make myself take care of the house before I head outside or it would be a total disaster in here.

After last night and the guilt trip from Hel! from Alex I know I need to make some changes. I had been thinking that this project has been all consuming and I needed to figure out how to work on it within reason anyway, that just confirmed it. I'm not very good at the 'oh it will get done when it gets done' philosophy. When I have something to work on, I'm full speed ahead until it's done and most likely wanted it done yesterday. Patience is not a strong suit of mine, never pretended it was.

The past two weeks I had gotten back to the gym, but not like I need to. This week putting the time in at the gym is a priority. Next comes my house/errands/mom crap that needs accomplished. Then I will allow myself some time to work outside, within reason. I will set a stop time and stop then, whether I am finished with what I am doing or not. (Sounds good anyway......) I also think I will add back in my early morning walk with my neglected dog. Good thing he can't talk, I'm sure that would be another guilt trip!

I don't even work outside the home and I still feel like I'm pulled 1,000 directions all the time. I can't even fathom having a 40 hour a week job.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

I don't even work outside the home and I still feel like I'm pulled 1,000 directions all the time. I can't even fathom having a 40 hour a week job.

Well, at least you can be real with yourself. That is a big step Lori!! I am the type to not really care about HH chores to begin with so no one notices if they dont have any towels to dry with! I will wash a load and put them in our room for DH and I.........the other 2 are adults, they can wash their own! :wink:

It will get done. how about a schedule? Like 1 hr each day or something? I picture you with a huge white board running plays on it for who needs to be where, when and what needs to be done~! I had one of those for about 3 yrs after I left one of my kids at karate at 9 pm............in the dark :ohwell:
  • Marla64
    Options
    I had been thinking that this project has been all consuming and I needed to figure out how to work on it within reason anyway, that just confirmed it. I'm not very good at the 'oh it will get done when it gets done' philosophy.

I'll send my husband down to finish your deck-- or, uh, NOT finish it, as it were. The above seems to be his philosophy-- I share yours. Get the sucker done, at all costs. And THEN relax and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

My kitchen floor, that he began December 12 is still not done. Like all of his projects, it's 90% done, and then he goes off to do 90% of something else. To say it pisses me off does a disservice to the word "pisses."

I asked him about 3 weeks ago, "Can you please make sure you get the floor done before you go to Florida?" Yes, I know, life's been crazy-- his mother's situation-- David coming back home-- always financial worries-- he'd gotten bitten by the dog and his hand was hurt back in February-- blah, blah, blah-- yeah, yeah, I know all of the excuses.

But, we HAVE all the supplies. He can have all of it done in one afternoon-- ONE afternoon--

Is my floor done per my request?

of course not--

So, Lori-- I don't know-- can't jump on your bandwagon. No, you can't do everything-- inside might suffer a bit-- children may take a backseat for a bit-- maybe my priorities are whack, but in my opinion it's better to teach the children to finish a job, take pride in your work, et cetera--

(but take that from a woman who's just sore that yet another home project is left undone......)
  • retrobaby
    Options

Lori- I went back to work 2-3 days a week to get a break from home life...that's where the real work is *sheesh*
  • 72lori
    Options
    Jeannie- I don't have a white board, but my calendar is pretty full

Marla- I SAY I need to limit myself but I know me. I will continue to work until 7 PM and then say, "Crap, what's for dinner?" Not to mention, no sooner did I type the words (cause they sound good and realistic) I was thinking of what I was doing today, thinking I need to start a list of what needs done and prioritizing it.... and on and on. Welcome to life in my world.

If I really look at it and am truthful with myself, the kids haven't taken a back seat (minus one little Easter thing :ohwell:). They ignore us half the time anyway. The house is in OK shape, we've been making the kids do more laundry, dinner clean ups and empty dishwasher and stuff because we are outside, which is good for them anyway- spoiled children. Last week they were on spring break and I feel a little bad we didn't do anything, but in fairness to me, I offered to take them to the beach and they said the water would be too cold. Plus, the kids all did their own things with friends here and there. Ian actually spent several days helping on the deck, he's learning things and enjoyed it, so he hung out with me.

As a mother, there's always something to feel guilty about. Add it to my list. Plus, I'm guilty of what? Giving them a hot tub? A nice new deck? A place to have fun with their friends? (They are already planning parties and asking when it will be done.)

Alrighty folks. Off to the gym. Just realized I neglected to charge my iPod, it's hard to run with no tunes! I hope it holds out! Just one more thing that took the back seat? Huh? :wink: :wink:

Marla- enjoy your hubby free time! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Marla64
    Options

Marla- enjoy your hubby free time! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

7pm coffee tonight with a friend of mine who has her own rebellious teen stories to share--

Panera Bread, here I come-- woo-hooooooo--

(although I must say-- call me kooky-- minus his beard, hubs is just a softer and gentler individual-- even my 14yo said, "Dad isn't nearly as scary without his beard. Hubs admits the beard all these years was an intended barrier, begun in his teen years as a defense-- masks a lot-- and now we can see his dimples, see the hidden smile in his face when he's really trying to be cranky-- go figure-- truly it's like being married to a new man-- kinda fun)
  • Marla64
    Options
    yeah, me again-- cat's away, mouse posts-- wanna make something of it? (although I've already vowed not to lose control this week-- I've been so productive around the house)

But anyway-- really narrowed down a connection between the arthritis pain and eggs this weekend-- two days of hard-boiled and deviled eggs-- oh my gosh-- soooo much pain today and yesterday-- hands and feet, hips-- youch.

Good to know-- veggie juice, here I come-- need to detox!!!!!!!
  • tamelab
    tamelab Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Good Monday morning. The kids went back to school today and I am sad. I always hate it when they have to go back. My youngest had a hard time getting ready and almost started crying. He got plenty of sleep so I think it was just reality setting in. We did something with him every day last week while he was off and then we went camping and kayaking over the weekend, so I'm sure it is hard to go back to school. My oldest dumped us for his friends most days. I guess we better get used to that. He turns 16 in a couple of weeks. He will be working for the summer for the first time so we have a lot of changes coming up. Anyway, I had gained a couple of pounds during the week and somehow lost them while we were camping. I think it was all the hiking, bike riding and kayaking. We stayed pretty busy. I have set a goal for myself to lose 12 pounds by my birthday, which is May 24. That will still leave me 10 pounds from my goal but so much closer. Hope you all have a wonderful day.
  • ksproston
    ksproston Posts: 6,936 Member
    Options
    Happy belated Easter friends! I've eaten way too much this weekend. Scale is up even more today. Yes, I know about fluctuations. I know I've not logged nor really cared too much about two or three servings of dessert. I know TOM is taking it's own sweet time getting here. I know the girls are bigger than normal and maybe that's where the gain is at.

DH is at work today. I'll be going back tomorrow. Need to catch up on laundry and I told the kids we were having a garage sale this spring and that we would use the proceeds for our Fun City fund. (Fun City is an indoor/outdoor water park/hotel/arcade/go kart racing/bowling, etc "fun house".) Maybe I can get downstairs to sort toys into 'toss' 'sell' and 'keep' piles. We'll see. I'm going to be safe though and say, "if laundry gets done, today will be a success."

Lori FL - The deck looks fantastic. Our oldest, who is 7 1/2 said she didn't think there was an Easter bunny that the parents hid the eggs. I told her that if there were parents who hid eggs, it's only b/c their kids' haven't been good enough for the Easter bunny to come to their house.

Jan - You're not the only one who isn't on FB. Me, DH and my best friend and her DH don't have accounts either. Another good friend of mine just signed up about a month ago. She said it's been a lot of fun. I've tossed the idea back and forth. I think my DH would have a panic attack if I did.

Alright, well, I'd better get busy. Laundry awaits. So does putting in my contacts, brushing my hair and my teeth.

TaTa folks!
  • Marla64
    Options
    Kati and Lori-- Easter Bunny and Santa Claus-- sighhhhhhh--

Well, here's the thing here-- we just never did the Santa or Bunny thing-- or tooth fairy. Yes, I had 'em growing up. Hubs didn't. And I had the age 7 triple whammy of tears one Easter morning when my father, while we were visiting grandma in Ohio no less, decided it was time to tell me Easter morning that there was no bunny, or Santa or fairy for that matter. Oh, the pain-- ha.

But, for us, while we watch Santa videos and decorate the house and do all the bunny and Santa holiday fun stuff, when it comes down to it, the kids, all of 'em, just have never been told that they're real.

For us (and this is in no way intended an indictment) we just never wanted to tell our kids something that wasn't true. Just simple as that-- I can't knowingly lie to 'em--

The tricky part-- oh my-- sending them out into the neighborhood to play with their Santa and bunny believing friends-- or going to the stores around the holidays...."Did Santa bring you everything you asked for?"

neighbor kids are the trickiest-- thankfully, I've only had one call from a disgruntled neighbor years ago, when her little Nelson was engaged in an argument with my son, David-- (aged 6 and 7, or so at the time) about Santa.

Nelson was talking about Santa....David says, "well, Nelson, it's actually your parents who bring the gifts. When you're older, they'll tell you the truth.'

The mother heard, scolded David and said, "That's not true, David. Santa is real."

"No, he isn't, Mrs. Abrams. That's not true. There is no Santa Claus. He's a fairy tale."

Ha-- I couldn't stand the lady anyway--

But, seriously-- I had to tell the kids not to go out of their way to tell their friends. It's the parents job to do that when they feel they're ready-- but, the kids are also taught to tell the truth-- sighhhh-- tricky stuff.

One lady asked us once..."so, you don't celebrate Christmas?" Yes, we celebrate Christmas-- we have a great holiday, full of trees and lights and presents and Christmas videos full of Santa Claus-- and our Easter is full of eggs and chocolate and pictures of bunnies-- sighhhh--
  • retrobaby
    Options
    Marla- My hubby and I have taken that same approach on the Bunny, Santa, etc. subject. My daughter is 6 and knows that the Easter Bunny, Santa, Tooth Fairy are not real. My 2 year old is oblivious to it all at this point (LOL). My 6 year old shared with me yesterday that when her classmates are talking about Easter Bunny or Santa she listens to them, but does not tell them they are not real. I am actually very proud of her, because she is so mature for her age. I am glad that she understands that "to each is own".

Black Team I'm checking in for push up duty. I managed to do 10 proper pushups(killed me) and 55 "girlie" ones. I also took the advice of Tanya(Black Team member) by exercising whenever I get a chance and ran up and down the hall with the kids for 10 minutes. I'm trying to rethink this exercise thing and get it in where it fits in. That's all I can manage for now.
  • 72lori
    Options
    Marla- there is a part of me that 100% gets what you are saying on the holiday stuff. It's fun for the kids, but in truth, we are lying to them. In fact our oldest was mad and said just that, "You mean you lied to me!" Well, yes we did. I thought all of it was fun when they were wee little, the older they got, the smarter they got, the more they learned about fairy tales, it seemed sort of silly. We sort of just talked less and less about the fake stuff as they got older until they approached me and asked me. I never lied when they came right out and asked.

The problem came yesterday, not so much with no Easter Bunny, but with the fact that we didn't do our egg hunt and baskets, etc. Alex knew at Christmas there was no Santa and could have cared less, because we still did all our normal 'stuff'.

I admittingly dropped the ball on Easter this year. It's not about the fairy tale part of it, it's about the fun stuff we always did. I never made a huge deal about the Easter bunny, but I made it fun. I lost sight that he's still little and wants that fun stuff to continue. Sometimes because the kids are so close in age and he tries so hard to be like the older ones I forget he is still younger. Lesson learned for Mom.

I hit Walmart and the 50% off Easter stuff. We will be having an Easter egg hunt at our house this evening. :ohwell: :ohwell: