Can a Dr tell me if this is loose skin or fat? *PICS*

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Look into It Works wraps...it's like $99 for a pack of 4 and you use them over a course of a few weeks. I've had some great results with them, if you google it you can find before and after pics too and a rep to purchase from. This could help that area and get you ready for bathing suit time! Great job on your loss! You look great!

No, except for the 'you look great' bit.
  • jrue1985
    jrue1985 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Those wraps are only a temporary fix, and they only show the pictures of the people that they worked on. There are more people who had NO results, than ones that do have results.
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    You look great. At 24 years old, your body will have more elastin which helps the body retract the skin more quickly. I have lost 200 pounds at 37 and after 22 months, the skin is still getting tighter.

Strength training will help to improve the muscle behind the skin so it can hang better rather than just flop down.

I have seen tummy tuck operations that still leave massive scars all the way across. This is because when they operate they have to leave some extra skin so when standing up, it doesn't go too tight.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Awesome job. That looks like a combination of fat and some skin. If you have a set of calipers (plastic ones cheap) it is fairly easy to tell. When you can grab a skin fold and the measurement is down to a 4-5 millimeters, then it is skin. I am chasing off the last bits around the stomach and they are fighting me everyday.

As far as what to do about it, well, that is a very personal decision. 66lb suggests you probably stretched the tummy around 6 - 8". Not to be a downer, but that is hard on the ol skin. I stretched mine around 9" so I know dat feel. I have read a lot about the various non-evasive measures and am convinced time is the only one that really works. Tanning sure helps hide some of it too.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I think you look pretty damn good! Give it more time.
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    My stomach was 60" and now 36". Hips are down to 32" so that shows I still have a overhang.
  • chickentunashake
    chickentunashake Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Firstly congratulations on losing 66 pounds! And your arms are looking super strong too!

How quickly did you lose the weight? If it was a rapid weight loss, it may be a matter of needing to wait a bit to let your body regain some elasticity.

I would also recommend some core strengthening exercises... your upper body looks strong, but your core muscles look like they could use some strength. Do you incorporate any sort of planking and squats into your training? How about running?

Took me a year and 1/2 to get 66lbs off. I started Aug 2011 at 185lbs. The first week, I dropped to in the 170s (water weight) And by the beginning of 2012 I was 155. Then from 155 to 122 happened slowly through out 2012. Then 122 to 119 since the beginning of this year. I dont really think I lost fast. I think I just have horrible genes. I'm covered in stretch marks too.
    I actually have some abs trying to show through, Just takes the right amount of lighting to see them.
    11237423_2649.jpg

I do deadlifts, bent over rows, bench press, overhead press, squat and assisted pull ups. I'm pretty sure more of them use the core to stabilize. I don't do much cardio, because I am skinny fat. I'm 119lbs & like 25 or so % body fat. I carried most of my weight right in my belly & still do. So I pretty much just lift with a small deficit. I was advised by Sara. So I'm pretty sure I'm got my routine down :)
    I know fthat if you would ad some cardio to your routine, You would lose some of the fat that you carry with you and that would tighten you up even more. Worked for me, I had 6 children and was fit, but through the fat collected during the pregnancies you couldnt see the muscle. I do cardio if I can direct after weight lifting, that way the body goes and burnes fat cuz it don't have no carbs to burn for energy because they were burned by the weight lifting sessions. It did wonders to my body. Maybe you should give it a try before you consider a tummy tuck. Good luck
  • shannonsky
    shannonsky Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think you look AWESOME, and I would not look twice if I saw you on the beach in that bikini. Well, I'd look twice, but only b/c you look hot and I'm jealous ;-)
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I know that a friend of mine that had weight-loss surgery was told to wait about 2 years after losing a lot of weight. You are young your skin may recover.
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    My *kitten* of a doctor said I'd have to go to a plastic surgeon to know what's skin and what's fat...losing almost 200 pounds so far, not much can be fat right ?? :(
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I can't really tell from the pics if you have any stretch marks on that portion of your abdomen, but if not there's still hope. It does look like loose skin to me (tho I'm only a nurse, not a dr.).

You have done a fabulous job! I wouldn't consider surgery if you're undecided about kids. Ya never know what life throws at you!
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    I'm sure a doctor could tell you. But I wouldn't consider a tummy tuck at this point in your life unless you are sure you don't plan to have children. If you want children then you will need that skin to stretch out to accommodate your pregnancy. Seriously though you look terrific and no-one would see anything in a pair of jeans. You are definitely thin.

I want to look good naked tho :( I want to wear a 2 piece out in public & not look gross like this.
    I don't think I want kids either.

CONGRATS on the loss. AND, HECK, have you BEEN to the beach or a public pool lately?!?! You look AMAZING and could SOOOOO totally rock that 2-piece!! There isnt THAT much extra there...you could probably tighten that up over time!

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • poptastic
    poptastic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    One word of advice that I have discussed with a few here - as we get better, stronger, more in tune with ourselves we tend to be more critical of small things and look at issues which we would have found acceptable 6 months prior as major issues.

This - could you ever have imagined worrying about a tiny inch of flab on your stomach when you started out?!

But if you are intent on losing that last little bit I'd incorporate some HIIT into your weights routine, I have found it the most effective way of getting trimmer.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I had a baby and it took me awhile before my belly got back to normal. It feels like forever when youre waiting, but one day you'll compare your new pics to your old and see how much better it got!
  • curejenn
    curejenn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    First off, serious congrats are in order! 66 lbs is AMAZING. That takes lots of dedication and patience and I just find this amazing!!

I think you look GREAT in that bathing suit. I will tell you that I am 4'11" tall and carried a 9 lb baby to 42 weeks pregnant! My stomach was literally 4' around on the day I was induced. I also had an emergency C section. When I left the hospital, my stomach was so saggy it was nearly touching my hipbones and it was covered in stretch marks. I am not going to lie... the sight of it made me weep. For almost the first year of my daughters life, I didnt look in the mirror. I got dressed in a mirrorless room because I just did not want to see my stomach! All of a sudden, nearly 2 years after her birth, my stomach started slowly firming up. I still am overweight and still working on losing fat but my stomach is like 75% better then it was 2.5 years ago. Hang in there. Sometimes it just takes the body time to acclimate and reshape itself!! Do not get discouraged.

And lastly, and I REALLY hope you do not take this the wrong way because it is meant in a total positive way and with much love, I think you need to build your confidence up before you make ANY big decisions like surgery. Because if what you think of yourself is less then 100% then surgery will only provide a little bit of relief. Good luck to you!! And again, congratulations!!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I don't get the whole being against cardio. I took up running to get my BF% down. I went from 24% to 19% in about 5 months by running 3 times a week mixed with moderate strength training on my off days.

The skin may shrink up, it can take 2 years for skin to rejuvenate but my daughter's friend works at a spa and says all those laser treatments and wraps are a joke. At best it's a temporary fix. If you want to hide that little flap you could always go with a boy short bottom for your suit instead of a low cut bikini bottom. Sexy isn't necessarily hanging everything out for the world to see.
  • xXAndrealphusXx
    Options
    Try doing more core exercises, sit-ups, crunches ect
  • jogy
    jogy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You look amazing. I think you should give your body a chance to adapt. If you want to wear a 2 piece bathing suit, then just do! Just buy a higher waist bikini if it bothers you that much. Some 2 pieces also come with a little skirt. Make the clothing work for you, not the other way around.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    This may sound crazy, but try trampolining or rebounding (jogging tramp). The skin and muscles will tighten in response to the gravitational pull while bouncing.
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    You look immense. Very very well done for your loss. I understand that when people on this journey hit goals are not always happy when they get there. Have you tried jillian michael's 6 week 6 pack? Her voice is annoying as hell but the routine kicks your *kitten*. Loose skin is my biggest fear TBH as i cannot do surgery but i have brought myself around by thinking this. Yes i may end up with loose skin, but i am now fit and healthy, A bit of baggy skin is not going to stop me remembering what i have accomplished.