Can a Dr tell me if this is loose skin or fat? *PICS*

Options

Replies

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    You look immense. Very very well done for your loss. I understand that when people on this journey hit goals are not always happy when they get there. Have you tried jillian michael's 6 week 6 pack? Her voice is annoying as hell but the routine kicks your *kitten*. Loose skin is my biggest fear TBH as i cannot do surgery but i have brought myself around by thinking this. Yes i may end up with loose skin, but i am now fit and healthy, A bit of baggy skin is not going to stop me remembering what i have accomplished.

I'm thinking you didn't mean the word "immense", but rather incredible or amazing?
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    You have gotten some GREAT advice!! Like most things, it takes time.
    I think you need to start believing in yourself, and remembering that you just lost 66 pounds. That's AMAZING!!!! It's easy to get caught up in the hype of looking perfect that we forget what our bodies have just done.

If you are concerned about a bikini while working on the skin/fat issue, I have a suggestion!

Retro!! It's making a come-back, I think they are beautiful suits!!

high-waisted-suit_zps6bb2986b.jpg
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I think you should keep on going and do more core work. getting those abs strong will also help tightem the skin, but the skin will take a bit longer. IT CAN BE DONE!! Just keep going and you will get there!
  • DCpaleochick
    DCpaleochick Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    You have gotten some GREAT advice!! Like most things, it takes time.
    I think you need to start believing in yourself, and remembering that you just lost 66 pounds. That's AMAZING!!!! It's easy to get caught up in the hype of looking perfect that we forget what our bodies have just done.

If you are concerned about a bikini while working on the skin/fat issue, I have a suggestion!

Retro!! It's making a come-back, I think they are beautiful suits!!

high-waisted-suit_zps6bb2986b.jpg

^^^^^this swim suit is Cute*
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    My first thought was 'what loose skin, where?? My second thought was - I wish I looked even a quarter as good.

Please stop beating yourself up - you look AMAZING!

B x
    This and you are joking right?

How could I b jokin? Don't u see how it hangs down in the front
  • carolyn0613
    carolyn0613 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I would agree with everyone who said that you look great, because you do. Tell yourself this many times a day to get it through that layer of self-doubt!

I also agree with people who are warning about the scarring, you said that you have stretch marks? i think having these means that you are more likely to scar worse than other people.

Often the things we are focussed on that, if only they were fixed, everything would be perfect, don't turn out to be quite the cure-all we thought they would be. Once you 'fix' your tummy, how do you think you will feel? Will everything be right then? What difference will it make? No-one is perfect and while it is good to strive and achieve things, it's a very drastic step to go for surgery. I also reckon it's not quite with the MFP philosophy, if there is such a thing. We're all in it for the long haul, making the changes that will give us long happy lives and I think that we know or try to accept that this will take time to get there.
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to tell the difference, but I just wanted to say you LOOK GREAT!!!

Damn.
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    It's funny have everyone is so different, I lost 48 pounds and don't feel like I have much lose skin. But not sure if I was ever ment to have a six pack :-/
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I think what everyone has said on here is right. I was 178 lbs at my heaviest and I'm 5'4" too. I lost a lot of weight years ago and ended up 122 lbs but with around 27% body fat so I was still flabby around the arms, thighs and I never completely go rid of my tummy. I also have horrible genes and was never dedicated enough to keep the weight off and I'm now 145 lbs and around 31% body fat.

My tummy looks a bit like yours now (as I carry most of my fat on my thighs, upper arms and bum so they are much bigger as I'm quite heavy at the moment) and I can tell you I have a thick layer of fat I can feel underneath as the skin is quite thick in my tummy area.

I know that if I lose weight the right way this time and stick with the strength training I will lose the fat including my tummy. I also have stretch marks all over by the way too. I got them when I went through puberty at the age of 11 can you believe. I went from being stick thin to having curves but with a quite low body fat % and that alone was enough to give me the stretch marks. I can't change that and neither can you and I haven't had kids either and it is very frustrating when I see my sister in her bikini in her perfect body after 3 kids but we are all made differently.

Keep up the training and eat in the right macros (I am trying lower carb/higher protein at the moment) and I'm confident the fat will come off and your tummy will look the way you want it to. Even if it doesn't you should be really proud of what you've achieved and you do look great. Even at my smallest/fittest I still wore things which I knew suited me for my shape so remember that not everything will look good on everyone anyway and a tiny tummy really is no big deal.
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    if you want to look good naken why would you want a tummy tuck? it leaves a horrible scar. To be honest I think it's a combination of fat and lose skin. Diet and weight lifting to help but there will come a point when you will need to accept your body.

But scars look better than loose hanging skin :(
    Maybe I could get tht laser thing.
    Have you SEEN tummy tuck scars? They look like something out of a horror movie! Trust me you look FAR better in a bikini now than the Frankenstein scars from a tummy tuck. Personally, I think most of what you're seeing is between your ears! It takes a long time, and sometimes never, to stop seeing the "fat girl" in the mirror. She's not there anymore....you're seeing her ghost!
  • curejenn
    curejenn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think what everyone has said on here is right. I was 178 lbs at my heaviest and I'm 5'4" too. I lost a lot of weight years ago and ended up 122 lbs but with around 27% body fat so I was still flabby around the arms, thighs and I never completely go rid of my tummy. I also have horrible genes and was never dedicated enough to keep the weight off and I'm now 145 lbs and around 31% body fat.

My tummy looks a bit like yours now (as I carry most of my fat on my thighs, upper arms and bum so they are much bigger as I'm quite heavy at the moment) and I can tell you I have a thick layer of fat I can feel underneath as the skin is quite thick in my tummy area.

I know that if I lose weight the right way this time and stick with the strength training I will lose the fat including my tummy. I also have stretch marks all over by the way too. I got them when I went through puberty at the age of 11 can you believe. I went from being stick thin to having curves but with a quite low body fat % and that alone was enough to give me the stretch marks. I can't change that and neither can you and I haven't had kids either and it is very frustrating when I see my sister in her bikini in her perfect body after 3 kids but we are all made differently.

Keep up the training and eat in the right macros (I am trying lower carb/higher protein at the moment) and I'm confident the fat will come off and your tummy will look the way you want it to. Even if it doesn't you should be really proud of what you've achieved and you do look great. Even at my smallest/fittest I still wore things which I knew suited me for my shape so remember that not everything will look good on everyone anyway and a tiny tummy really is no big deal.

The same thing happened to me!! I got stretch marks all over my hips/thighs at age 10!! Oddly enough, I havent grown ANY in height since then! LOL I went from being the tallest 4th grader in my class at nearly 5 feet tall to nearly the shortest adult everywhere. And I got no stretch marks with my daughter until I had her. I went into the hospital with no belly stretchmarks and left looking like I was attacked by a wild animal. It is fascinating how we are all different! And sort of awesome!
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Yes I know! I remember going on a school trip when I was 13 and one of my 'friends' laughed at me when I put shorts on because of my stretch marks. I was so upset but as I knew I'd have them for life and I wasn't even that big until I got into my early 20s I had to accept it. I developed stretch marks on my tummy when I was at my heaviest too which didn't help matters but you can't change the way your body is made!

Plus they show up a lot more on darker skin like mine.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I think you look really good. I see what you are saying but you can easily disguise that with a different style swim suit.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Given your age, you still have a significant amount of collagen and elastin in your skin. You really should just give it time. Just be kind to the skin, keep it moisturized and yourself hydrated.

But the weight loss is phenomenal. You are one amazing young lady.
  • ilovescarymovies
    ilovescarymovies Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I think you look AWESOME, and I would not look twice if I saw you on the beach in that bikini. Well, I'd look twice, but only b/c you look hot and I'm jealous ;-)
    ^^this!
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Remember to stay positive and it is not a case of if it will shrink back but when. It will get better, just takes time. I bet it will look totally different in 6 months time. Make sure you drink enough fluids to keep the skin hydrated and vitamins/minerals from fruit is a good idea too.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    When I went to the beach last summer, my dh and I were the only adults on the beach in swimwear and IDGAF. I don't go anywhere, especially not the beach, to be looked at, I go to have fun. If people look, I can't stop them from thinking whatever they want to think, but it won't determine what I wear. I was happy and I hope they were happy too. I hope they weren't all staying fully clothed just in case someone looked at them...

From the way you write, OP, I would suggest that the way you see yourself, or the importance you put on others' opinions of you, may require more work than your tummy. I hope that exercise will help it turn into the shape you're imagining, but until then, I hope you can enjoy your body for what it is: an amazing vehicle to enable you to enjoy life :flowerforyou:
  • shorty35565
    Options
    I don't understand why you are so against cardio. What do you mean you don't do cardio because you are "skinny fat"? I know what skinny fat is, but what has that got to do with not doing cardio? You can lift AND do cardio as well.

Well I don't have a lot of weight to lose. I really just need to drop as much body fat as I can in like 8 lbs. And I don't really need cardio. I mean I can lift with a small deficit & I know I'll b ok. I did mostly cardio b4 I started lifting heavy & it wasn't really doing anything for me anymore. Besides, I'm just not a huge fan of it anymore
  • shorty35565
    Options
    I lost 95 pounds over a two year period. I had a bit of a flabby FUPA, too. The skin will un-stretch a bit, but for me, the only way that really has taken away the "loose skin" areas is putting muscle on in the area. Like building deltoids and triceps helped with the underarm loose skin. I put on a bunch of muscle on my back, and in my opinion, I think even that helped with the look of my FUPA skin. And of course tons of ab muscles kinda pushing up against the surface (even thought I'm no where near a 6 pack) help make the stomach look less... flabby.

But mainly time. Give it a year or two, unfortunately, for the skin to un-stretch. Good job losing all the weight. Wear ANY bathing suit with pride.

(I even had a FUPA-like skin-fold hanging thing above each of my knees! It was so gross.)

This gives me hope! I hope to b bulking in ab 8lbs, so mayb tht will help everything!
  • shorty35565
    Options
    I think you look AWESOME, and I would not look twice if I saw you on the beach in that bikini. Well, I'd look twice, but only b/c you look hot and I'm jealous ;-)

Aww thank u!!
    I dont see anything to be jealous ab tho
    I can't really tell from the pics if you have any stretch marks on that portion of your abdomen, but if not there's still hope. It does look like loose skin to me (tho I'm only a nurse, not a dr.).

I am covered in stretch marks :(