Pregnancy weight gain.......some are gaining too much

Options

Replies

• MrsSardone
    MrsSardone Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I DO understand where you're coming from though OP. during my first pregnancy people would be like " you should eat more! You're eating for two now." And I'd just say "actually that's incorrect. I'm only supposed to be eating an additional 300 calories a day. The baby is barely the size of my fist. He doesn't really need so much food."
  • ToFatToBeSick
    Options
    I love when men nag about **** that has nothing to do with them.

i agree,

Sorry he's concerned with the health and well-being of both mother and child. He works in the fitness industry, it's his job to care about the health of others.

It's nice he cares so much about the health and well being of women he's never even met, instead of focusing on his actual clients and posting information without preaching.

I don't think he was "preaching" at all. He just made an observation from a fitness standpoint. He's not claiming to be a doctor or health professional, so stop accusing him of doing so. I don't think he had any mean intentions when writing this post, so no one has a right to be mean to him.

Actually, just as you have the right to speak your mind and agree with him, we have the right to disagree and speak our minds. Unless you've been pregnant yourself, you wouldn't understand.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,641 Member
    Options
    I don't think he was "preaching" at all. He just made an observation from a fitness standpoint. He's not claiming to be a doctor or health professional, so stop accusing him of doing so. I don't think he had any mean intentions when writing this post, so no one has a right to be mean to him.
    I knew coming from a male that I would more than likely get more heat than maybe if a female who just had a baby authored it. Thanks for sticking up for me, but be assured that I don't take any of the disagreeing comments personally.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    It's nice he cares so much about the health and well being of women he's never even met, instead of focusing on his actual clients and posting information without preaching.
    Yes because posting FREE information, that I actually charge clients for, shows that I don't care about people's well being.

IDEA Fitness member

You mean FREE information anyone can search the internet and find on their own if the topic is of interest to them without the added benefit of you "opinions".

Totally!
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Yeah, hind site is 20/20. I gained 64 lbs during my pregnancy and I was already about 20 lbs overweight when I got pregnant. I was doing WW while I was trying to get pregnant and they don't have an option for pregnant women as far as maintenance goes. So I stopped counting points and just ate all the food. Wish I had been on MFP or had just kept using WW under the maintenance feature b/c it's been an uphill battle losing the weight. Can't call it baby weight 3 years later but I've yet to get back to my pre-pg weight. Getting there!
  • ekaustin7
    ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options

i agree,

Sorry he's concerned with the health and well-being of both mother and child. He works in the fitness industry, it's his job to care about the health of others.

Actually, just as you have the right to speak your mind and agree with him, we have the right to disagree and speak our minds. Unless you've been pregnant yourself, you wouldn't understand.

I completely agree with that. I just wish disagreeing didn't always have to come in the form of being mean and rude.
  • shoshi68
    shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

i agree,

I love it when men and woman agree on what is good health, and can talk about the scientific evidence that supports such claims. Geez. Forest for the trees, ladies.

Oh, and I am a health care professional carrying a caseload of 36 women currently pregnant, having attended hundreds of births, and I am apprised of the research. Relax.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Unless you've been pregnant yourself, you wouldn't understand.
    Lol, males say this all the time about having a pen**.

IDEA Fitness member
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

i agree,

Truth
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You mean FREE information anyone can search the internet and find on their own if the topic is of interest to them without the added benefit of you "opinions".

Totally!
    Yep. And for some odd reason, I'm inundated in my inbox daily asking for FREE advice that's FREE on the internet. Why? Maybe because I've actually helped people here achieve some goals. But really that's not worth me opining about with other people who ask because I should just say, "Hey, it's free info on the internet, go find it".

Yep.

IDEA Fitness member
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

i agree,

I completely agree with that. I just wish disagreeing didn't always have to come in the form of being mean and rude.

I wasn't being mean, I was expressing my opinion. I didn't say anything negative about the poster, I said he tone was preachy and he maybe doesn't have the credentials to be talking about this topic from an "expert" perspective. Period.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Totally!
    Yep. And for some odd reason, I'm inundated in my inbox daily asking for FREE advice that's FREE on the internet. Why? Maybe because I've actually helped people here achieve some goals. But really that's not worth me opining about with other people who ask because I should just say, "Hey, it's free info on the internet, go find it".

Yep.

IDEA Fitness member

Point is: Most people don't appreciate advise they didn't ask for. By all means, help they people you ask you -- but maybe consider that general posts in forums shouldn't be given in the same way, if you feel so compelled to help EVERYONE.
  • mestacy010
    mestacy010 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    So I was at Kaiser today for my DD's standard checkup at 8 years old. While I was waiting in the lobby (DW was in with DD and doctor), I saw several mothers with new babies who were very overweight. I'm not talking 40lbs, but in the realm of 80lbs and higher.
    A lot of my clientele are females who are losing baby weight, but all of them are only trying to lose 25llbs-35lbs. This should be the normal amount a female should be gaining when pregnant.

To moms to be: you aren't eating for two. Your nutrition should be much better, but realistically, calories shouldn't really exceed more than 300-350 calories per day on average. It's not a free for all to eat everything. Trust that more you gain, the harder it will be to take off and if that weight doesn't come off, then chances are HIGH that you will end up that weight the majority of your life.

IDEA Fitness member

True maybe if I hadn't gained all the weight I did (70lbs) when I was pregnant I maybe wouldn't have caught my husband emailing other women.....
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    So I was at Kaiser today for my DD's standard checkup at 8 years old. While I was waiting in the lobby (DW was in with DD and doctor), I saw several mothers with new babies who were very overweight. I'm not talking 40lbs, but in the realm of 80lbs and higher.
    A lot of my clientele are females who are losing baby weight, but all of them are only trying to lose 25llbs-35lbs. This should be the normal amount a female should be gaining when pregnant.

To moms to be: you aren't eating for two. Your nutrition should be much better, but realistically, calories shouldn't really exceed more than 300-350 calories per day on average. It's not a free for all to eat everything. Trust that more you gain, the harder it will be to take off and if that weight doesn't come off, then chances are HIGH that you will end up that weight the majority of your life.

IDEA Fitness member

I gained 50 :( not proud of it. But after the weight fell off - by her first bday i lost all that I gained plus 10 more pounds. Have since gained back 25 though :((
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    i gained 80lbs with my first two pregnancies and that wasnt my fault...i had a medical condition that made me retain water like crazy! so given i agree with no gaining that much but at same time some ppl cant help it if they develop something they cant control.

There's a difference between gaining extra weight that is baby and fluids and piling on fat. I gained 50 lbs with my first but the day after she was born I was 20 lbs over my prepregnancy weight and 6 weeks in back to normal. I carried a large baby and a LOT of amniotic fluid. Now if 6 months after the baby is born you've still got the 50 lbs hanging around, that's just plain over eating.
  • KristyHumphrey
    Options
    True maybe if I hadn't gained all the weight I did (70lbs) when I was pregnant I maybe wouldn't have caught my husband emailing other women.....
    [/quote]

What a dirtbag! Girl - i was HUGE -that's no excuse!
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options

:)
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Or he may just be a d1ck. Sorry that happened, but your weight gain isn't any excuse for your husband to disrespect his marriage vows.
  • KristyHumphrey
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

MeStacey - What a dirtbag! Girl - i was HUGE -that's no excuse!
  • MrsSardone
    MrsSardone Posts: 194 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Aww don't say that! That was HIS fault!