Pregnancy weight gain.......some are gaining too much

Options

Replies

• Chameleongal
    Options
    How eager were you to come back to the board to tell us about those " several mothers with new babies who were very overweight. I'm not talking 40lbs, but in the realm of 80lbs and higher" under the guise of "giving advice" You know what? N'er mind. **Ignored**

*eyeroll*

I swear, ppl sometimes.
  • Chameleongal
    Options
    I love when men nag about **** that has nothing to do with them.

:)
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I thought through my first pregnancy (at 17) that I could eat like I always did (typical teen) gained about 30 lbs, lost 20 of it and got pregnant again when my son was 2 months old, continued to eat the same, but gained 80lbs with the second! took me about 10 years to lose it all, then quit smoking and gained alot again... lol. Mom always said eventually my metabolism would not be so efficient!
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    So I was at Kaiser today for my DD's standard checkup at 8 years old. While I was waiting in the lobby (DW was in with DD and doctor), I saw several mothers with new babies who were very overweight. I'm not talking 40lbs, but in the realm of 80lbs and higher.
    A lot of my clientele are females who are losing baby weight, but all of them are only trying to lose 25llbs-35lbs. This should be the normal amount a female should be gaining when pregnant.

To moms to be: you aren't eating for two. Your nutrition should be much better, but realistically, calories shouldn't really exceed more than 300-350 calories per day on average. It's not a free for all to eat everything. Trust that more you gain, the harder it will be to take off and if that weight doesn't come off, then chances are HIGH that you will end up that weight the majority of your life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    With my first kid I gained like 60-80 pounds. The doctor said not to worry about it- you are eating for 2. Don't worry the weight will come off easily once the baby is here. I think he was trying to be supportive or something. With the next 3 kids whenever someone said you are eating for two, I would think yes, but one of them is less than a pound. Eating healthy is much more important. Wish I would have started earlier to get back to my pre baby weight.
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I agreee!! I actually just gave birth 1 month ago, I used this site my whole pregnancy and exercised my whole pregnancy. I still managed to put on 34lbs, but i know I did everything I was suppose to do. I still have 15lbs to lose, but its prooving to be difficult to lose. ugh
  • lawandfitness
    lawandfitness Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Here's why excessive weight gain in pregnancy is a valid concern for ALL.

Babies are growing too big and needing caesarians to be removed.

We could not have thrived as a species if this was normal.

I used to work in a big office. 6 women were pregnant, 5 had caesarians.

It is not the only reason caesarians are more common(pain killers are a big reason too), but it is one reason.

Really..... this is interesting, I was overweight before I got pregnant with my son(about 245), I gained 40 pounds over the course of the pregnancy and needed a caesarian, why.... not because I overfed my baby, but because my birthing canal was too narrow to push him out, your comment is just another assumption..... Also, I went 2 weeks overdue, and in those 2 weeks, my baby continued to grow in size and gain weight, not because I ate like a pig, but because he was overdue and continued to grow in size. Just because you pass your due date doesn’t mean they are going to just induce you when there is no activity going on down there, I had to wait 10 days to get induced....
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    So I was at Kaiser today for my DD's standard checkup at 8 years old. While I was waiting in the lobby (DW was in with DD and doctor), I saw several mothers with new babies who were very overweight. I'm not talking 40lbs, but in the realm of 80lbs and higher.
    A lot of my clientele are females who are losing baby weight, but all of them are only trying to lose 25llbs-35lbs. This should be the normal amount a female should be gaining when pregnant.

To moms to be: you aren't eating for two. Your nutrition should be much better, but realistically, calories shouldn't really exceed more than 300-350 calories per day on average. It's not a free for all to eat everything. Trust that more you gain, the harder it will be to take off and if that weight doesn't come off, then chances are HIGH that you will end up that weight the majority of your life.

IDEA Fitness member

True maybe if I hadn't gained all the weight I did (70lbs) when I was pregnant I maybe wouldn't have caught my husband emailing other women.....

Aww don't say that! That was HIS fault!

it can be both ...
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

While I agree with you, I also would suggest that you give these new moms a break. Pregnancy REALLY messes with our bodies, and then the hormones add to our emotional psyches. Being a guy, you will NEVER, EVER, understand the extreme changes that take place. And until you can push a cabbage patch doll out of your nostril, you might want to keep your thoughts and comments to yourself. Plenty of us who have been through pregnancy don't care to hear a MAN's opinion or judgmental comments. Even husbands need to know when to keep their mouths closed.

And of course, once those babies are BORN, and the majority of the care is left to the mom, the LAST thing mom cares about is her weight (unless she is very vain to begin with). Add sleep deprivation and we're basically hot messes until things settle down again.

It takes about 6 months before our heads are back on straight. So, again, while I think women shouldn't use pregnancy as a opportunity to eat whatever, whenever, and as much as possible, POST pregnancy women deserve a little more patience and understanding.
  • estrange22
    estrange22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I was 125 pounds when I became pregant. I lived with my in-laws who kept telling me EAT, EAT, EAT, we want a healthy grandbaby. ugh. I ate ate and ate and every single time I went to see my ob he told me I was gaining too much, too fast. I developed pre-eclampsia and had to have a c-section at 32 weeks. I had gained exactly 50 pounds on my 5'2 frame. My weight had never bounced around before I was pregnant and now it does. i work out and eat mostly healthy and lean portions. I wish I had listening to my doctor, not my mother-in-law:-(
  • underw64
    underw64 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What was your pregnancy like? Oh wait you're a bloke! Are you a midwife, doctor or gyno? No? Then why are you dictating what these women should do? You come across as judgemental because you can't relate to the situation and if you can't relate then keep your opinion of these women to yourself. They are carrying a life inside of them, is that not enough pressure for them? Not all women will be yummy mummys and they don't have to be.

Amen. I am currently 30 weeks pregnant, and I know that I have probably gained too much weight. You try being pregnant, and exhausted all the time but also starving. I lost 60+ pounds before I got pregnant, and while I haven't gained nearly that back, it has to be at least half. To go along with the exhaustion + constant hunger, there are enough other emotional stressors and issues that go along with being pregnant that I think sometimes weight gain is put on the back burner. I do not advocate eating for two, but stressing about your weight and how much you are gaining can be just as detrimental to the health of your unborn child.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I gained nothing with my first pregnancy. The day i found out i was pregnant i weighed exactly the same the day i went into labor. I gained 8 lbs total with my 2nd pregnancy. I was also obese. Now that i'm nearing the "normal" weight category i'm curious to see what would happen if i decided to have another child. I agree, you are not eating for 2.
  • mestacy010
    mestacy010 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

True maybe if I hadn't gained all the weight I did (70lbs) when I was pregnant I maybe wouldn't have caught my husband emailing other women.....

it can be both ...

It can be, my husband is an athlete, and I am not, its not that fun to be with someone who is overweight.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Just curious, he has his credentials in his signature. Has anyone ever bothered to confirm them?
  • sullus
    Options
    And until you can push a cabbage patch doll out of your nostril, you might want to keep your thoughts and comments to yourself. Plenty of us who have been through pregnancy don't care to hear a MAN's opinion or judgmental comments.

I've got a reliable source that says childbirth is a walk in the park compared to passing a kidney stone.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    I've seen documentaries where pregnant women/young girls are so terrified of gaining weight they start to bind their stomachs and use calorie deprivation as a way to keep from getting "so disgustingly fat". NOTE THE SARCASM HERE.

These women are putting their health and the health of their unborn child at GREAT risk. There are extremes to both sides -- knowing how to create a great balance can be a problem for women already worried about the weight gain.
  • sullus
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

it can be both ...

It can be, my husband is an athlete, and I am not, its not that fun to be with someone who is overweight.

I didnt mean it can be both peoples fault .. not directly anyway. What I meant was .. it's possible that the guy is a jerk AND started looking around due to the wife's weight gain.
  • shrinkingsusie
    shrinkingsusie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    In a perfect world, maybe. When you have out of control hormones and morning sickness to the point of desperation, the voice of reason hardly stands a chance.

My body has been through a lot, gaining 50-60# with each pregnancy. I wouldn't worry so much about the pregnancy weight as I would about my everyday lifestyle.
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    My OB would be all over this. I LOST weight the first half of my pregnancy. I did not have morning sickness, I did not have nausea, and, except for plain milk, I did not have food aversions. My body just refused to gain weight. I was told to eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, and I did. I ate all the things. It wasn't until halfway through that I started gaining again, but I was still 10 pounds under where I started when I went into labor.

I understand you are trying to help, but the whole "one size fits all" stuff in the OP is not particularly helpful. It's too generalized and doesn't take into account individual circumstances. I would hate to see someone like me take that advice and have serious complications just because they were fearful of gaining too much weight.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    And until you can push a cabbage patch doll out of your nostril, you might want to keep your thoughts and comments to yourself. Plenty of us who have been through pregnancy don't care to hear a MAN's opinion or judgmental comments.

I've got a reliable source that says childbirth is a walk in the park compared to passing a kidney stone.

I have had a kidney stone. And yes, I'd go through natural labor with a local anesthetic before I EVER go through another kidney stone. The pain was beyond unbearable.
  • LaurenOliver
    Options
    Wait a minute - it's challenging to lose weight?! Shut the front door. I'll keep that in mind if I ever become pregnant and am tempted to eat double and triple what I normally do.