My body can't tolerate bad food anymore! How about you?

Options

Replies

• MissHoney26
    MissHoney26 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yes! I experience this a lot as when I am home from college for a shorter time like thanksgiving break for example, and I have been eating "my way" because I have control over my groceries etc

I can eat something as simple as pizza and I keel over! or I try to treat myself to a frapp at a coffee date with my friends -- I keel over! I see my family has some chips out (i dont even like chips) my tummy is not happy.

at one point i was very frustrated.. i wasnt sure if it was my 'healthy' habits or my bad habits upsetting my stomach.. and it was bad enough that when i stuck to my healthy food i still had the bad feelings which made me confused about which was hurting me...

what i found out is that I just needed, much longer to recover... and since then I only dip into foods that make me feel bad in enough time in between.. I can't say 'oh whatever i had those cookies yesterday anyway' because the pain gets duller each time and then screws me over when i am done cheating

but now that i have a clue, I find it endearing.. it gives me hope that it is sustainable to give up everything i like 'to taste' forever.. and benefit enough to never need them again. its just a matter of just doing it (and forever holding your peace!) that is difficult =)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Totally agree! I have talked with my doctor and nutritionist and ANY processed foods are NOT healthy. With so many people defending pizza on this thread, it's no wonder we have a morbid obesity epidemic!

I used to think this too, until many years my doctor set me straight. I was obese and complaining about needing to lose weight and I had said, "I guess I just like my burritos for lunch too much."

She said, "It's not about NOT having the burrito, it's about having half and saving the rest for another day."

That's what pizza is all about: having it in moderation and saving the rest for another few meals.

People don't get fat on pizza, they get fat on eating too much food, which could be a strictly vegetarian diet. People can also lose weight on a totally junk diet as long as they eat at a calorie deficit.

Your nutritionist and doctor are wrong. TOO MANY processed foods may not be good for us, but not all of them are unhealthy. :wink:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Right about the time I entered my thirties my digestive tract decided to revolt. I spent several years being sick all the time and a doctor finally helped me discover some food sensitivities. They had been mild when I was young, but became progressively worse as I got older.

Nowadays most of the food I eat is homemade from scratch using the most basic, least processed ingredients I can find, and avoiding the foods that trigger my problems. This keeps my digestion running smoothly and I have no "food hangovers" hours after eating.

Just the smell of McDonald's turns my stomach and I used to eat that stuff as a kid. It's like poison to me now. I guess it would be a good way to get the bowels moving, though. (TMI) :sick:
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Don't people get less hungry with age? Anyway, I eat all the foods like Zoidberg. Pizza or asparagus. All good.
  • mouseyhoney
    Options
    This topic is really interesting - before joining my fitness pal I managed to shift 32lbs and then I hit a plateau; my motivation to try a different approach!

I used to eat alot of deep fried foods, pizza and McD's but in order to lose weight I decided to make some life changing decisions. One was to cut out meat. So far I have gone 6 months without and feel so much better. I have replaced meat with Quorn and Soya and now have a really varied and much tastier diet than before.

So during the week, I had this urge for a pizza. It had been a difficult day at work and my willpower was low. I checked the packaging for calories and fat and worked out that as I had enough calories left in my plan I'd treat myself. Although the fat would take me way over - oh well!

Got home,all excited, popped it in the oven. It used to be my favourite brand was I was sooooooo excited; the smell coming from the oven was amazing.

14 minutes later I sat down to my treat.

It was the biggest disappointment .I gave 75% to the bin.
    What a total waste of money; my body was complaining at me; I felt ill and during the night I had dreadful wind.

I have learnt a great lesson; hang around outside a pizza store to get your fix of the smell and then go home for some real food!

Its not only my body shape that has changed in the last 6 months; I have a new found respect for the sensitivity of my body to different foods, and now understand what it needs and when. I am totally in awe at how incredible the human body is and am now even more determined to treat it with more respect than ever.
  • mouseyhoney
    Options
    :smile:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Okay, but pizza isn't bad food!

You're joking right? This wasn't home made pizza!
    Since when did home made pizza become the standard...........pretty nasty tasting so far in my travels.........wood oven from someone who knows how to make pizza or go home.......:flowerforyou:
  • mouseyhoney
    Options
    good point...wood baked pizza smells amazing
    if you look at the fat content in a pizza its usually down to cheese and meats like pepperoni - thata the unhealthy bit....

pile a wood fired base with tomato passata and load with roasted veggies, olives and tomatoes.....and top with just a little reduced fat mozzarella and you are good to go unless you have a gluten intolerance ...and thats another story!
  • npayne90
    npayne90 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I statred eating alot of veggies since last year. But still ate alot of fast foods, but recently I have no desire atall for them, infact last week for lunch we went to a fried chicken shop but I felt sick the whoke time, I just didn't want to eat it, so I ended up ordering a fried chicken breast, and tried to eat the meat and not the batter, and had a few french fries. Usually, the old me, 30lbs ago, lol, I would have ordered the biggest burger, large fries and large coke and downed it all and felt sick and gressy. But now, I actually can't stand it.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    If I had a dollar for every post that's pretty much a re-post I'd be a millionaire.
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Ahhh I'm in there with you! I can't drink Coke, can't eat deep fried chips, or anything deepfried and oozing oil :sick: Well... I probably could, but hello sickness!
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Last year I cut out all sugar from my diet for several months. I hadn't eaten fruit either...however, when I decided to have some banana one day, I found it incredibly sweet - like candy almost!
    Found that to be weird too...
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    had KFC last night, wasnt that my body couldnt tolerate it, just more like i didnt like the flavour any more. would rather something like nandos or oporto (portuguese grilled chicken fast food)
  • Baykon
    Baykon Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i go into such bad food comas whenever I eat pizza. I think it's the yeast that does me in. Unfortunately my brain is much louder than my body so I'll eat it anyway and suffer the consequences. That said, pretty much any food makes my stomach distended unless it's veg.
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have really bad IBS and I get more stomach pain from "healthy" food than I do from "bad" food...

I am the same way... I have gastroparesis which was first diagnosed as IBS. I have a whole list of "good" foods I have to avoid unless I want to be ill. Fiber is a severe irritant so I have to keep that pretty low as well as fat. "Bad" foods are easier to digest.
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My body can still tolerate bad/dirty/junk/whatever nefarious term you want to use food and I still enjoy eating it, I've just become more reasonable in the way I go about eating it. I know it's not something to eat every day, but I won't deprive myself from indulging every week or two. As long as it fits within your calorie goal, no harm done.
  • julianadelbosque
    Options
    My body isn't a fan! I feel like since I've been limiting my carbs more lately (not low carb, just not super carb heavy like I used to eat) I'm especially sensitive to changes in carb intake. I've had a LOT of carbs in the past few days and I am feeling disgusting. My body is craving fruit and vegetables and protein!

I'm a little worried about how my body will react when I eat fried food at the state fair later this week. In general my body doesn't like excessive amounts of grease and fat, but I'm hoping it's worth it. I mean...I'm pretty sure it will be because, hello fried mac and cheese!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Sounds like good reason not to eliminate those foods from your diet.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Amazing. I thought I was the only one with this problem.
    I am on week 9 of eating good foods, small portions, etc, etc.
    A friend took me to lunch Friday.....uh oh.
    I had a California Eggs Benedict. Only ate 3/4 of it.
    And at her insistence 3 or 4 bites of a Chocolate Eclair.
    Beyond rich.
    15 min later in the middle of a furniture store...panic attack...
    Where is the restroom ?
    Won't do that again. Terrible.