Fasting diet

Options
1235»

Replies

• xjckemx
    xjckemx Posts: 95 Member
    Options

Thank you. I think I could do the 2 500 days. As I find in the week I'm so busy
    I haven't got time to eat and practically force it in to get near goal. Yet other days I have no problem. It's the other days that worry me lol eating to much or still watching calories and not wanting to go over my usual 1400. And I know it's stupid but I think I find it hard to get my head around eating around 1800 rest week without piling on weight.
  • xjckemx
    xjckemx Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    What's 20:4. And does it work the same
  • SlinkyAndHerAmazingBunsOfSteel
    Options
    I had planned on doing the 5:2 diet . I tried it yesterday and did not like it one bit. I felt tired and miserable and thought about nothing but food all day. I couldn't do it and ended up quitting. I'll just stick to 1500 cals a day. It just wasn't for me! Good luck! :)
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options

20:4 or any other combination (16:8, 18:6, etc) is intermittent fasting. you fast for 20 hours and eat within a 4 hour window. you do this everyday. i'm not the expert but the concept is the same.

all of it comes down to calorie deficits. how you make that calorie deficit is up to you. this is just a way of eating. in the grand scheme of things, i average a weekly caloric intake of 10,500 calories or 1500 calories a day. so if you can manage to eat 1500 calories in a 4 hour window, go for it. it can be tough to eat so much in so little time so that's why i eat lots of nuts, cheese, fatty cuts of meat, salmon, full-fat dairy, etc. i eat craptons of green leafy veggies, zucchini, cauliflower, eggplant too. lots of olive oil and butter as well. overall i feel great eating this way. but i'm not going to recommend it to anyone as everyone is different.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options

Its another type of intermittent fasting, where you eat nothing for 20 hours (including sleeping time) and have a four hour eating window. I think it's a variation on the lean gains 16:8 where you have a 16 hour fast.

If you google lean gains you will find lots of info on it, I think it has many of the same health benefits as 5:2 fasting,
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    There's 2 groups dedicated to 5:2 approach here on MFP:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8005-5-2-fasting
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8628-5-2-diet

It's not for everyone - diabetics in particular or anyone who has to watch their blood sugars. And anyone who has a tendency to disordered eating shouldn't try it.

The first fast is tough, but it does get easier, and the results seem to prove largely good - but again, not for everyone. As with any eating approach, you need to experiment and see what works for your body.
  • sat70
    sat70 Posts: 1
    Options
    I bought the Fast Diet book today. Figured I'd read it before beginning. I like the idea of intermittent fasting because I have zero willpower, especially when it comes to eliminating something from my diet. It seems easier to say 'I can have some of that tomorrow'. But my question is this... On MFP I would eat 1300 calories per day = 9100 per week, on the fast diet I would eat 2000 per day x 5 days per week + 500 x 2 on fasting days = 11000 per week. How will this jump start my weight loss???
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I bought the Fast Diet book today. Figured I'd read it before beginning. I like the idea of intermittent fasting because I have zero willpower, especially when it comes to eliminating something from my diet. It seems easier to say 'I can have some of that tomorrow'. But my question is this... On MFP I would eat 1300 calories per day = 9100 per week, on the fast diet I would eat 2000 per day x 5 days per week + 500 x 2 on fasting days = 11000 per week. How will this jump start my weight loss???

Intermittent fasting (which is what the 5:2 eating style is) will not jump start your weight loss. It is a way to manage adherence and fit calorie restriction into your lifestyle.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Intermittent fasting (which is what the 5:2 eating style is) will not jump start your weight loss. It is a way to manage adherence and fit calorie restriction into your lifestyle.

Totally agree. Just like 6 meals a day doesn't increase your metabolism, neither does one a day twice a week assuming same total weekly macros.

And also agree with the person above who said diabetics should not try this. I would hope that most diabetics would know this though.
  • athandtia
    athandtia Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey fellow dieters! Fasting diet going well, though I am hungry today due to a non-fasting, non-dieting 3 wonderful days spent in Devon. Surprisingly I only gained 2lb, so will be interesting to see what happens by the end of this week. It's not the easiest diet I've ever done, but absolutely beats calorie counting, points counting, etc. Don't think a little bit of absitence will do me any harm :laugh: and of course, there's always tomorrow. Happy Monday, have a good week!
  • beachbum79
    beachbum79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How's your progress on the 5:2 fasting? Curious as to if you fast on consecutive days or intermittent. I'm considering this for Mon/Thur.
  • athandtia
    athandtia Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Diet going really well, I've lost around 8lb so far! I usually have my 500 calories on a Monday (Tuesday this week due to Bank Holiday) then again on Thursday. I dont think there are any hard and fast rules as to when you do it, but I dont think I could do two consecutive days. Good Luck! Let me know if you need any other info:happy: