What cereal?

Options

Replies

• LdyPsych
    LdyPsych Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    And Count Chocula! I was in that first (large range) group of children regaled with jiffy pop and pop tarts and cartoon cereals and frozen dinners and soda and tang and ...... And no doubt part of the first children to live most of their lives on a huge percentage of processed foods. I understand why it happened, no one meant to cause damage, but we surely were, in effect, an experiment that didn't end so well. So many here, in their 40's-60's are trying desperately to undo the results. But Count Chocula was pretty tasty just the same!
  • neonemesis
    neonemesis Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    definitely doesnt taste great for some but i eat a mix of three cereals. i make a batch of 20 cups and keep it in a rubbermaid cereal container

1/3 cup old fashioned oats
    1/3 cup bran flakes
    1/3 cup straw bran

1 Cup serving is
    Cals 210
    Protein 7
    fat 3
    Carbs 42
    Sodium 173
    Fiber 13
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    quaker instant oatmeal - plain ...add some fruit or something if you do not like it plain...
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I'm a cereal freak. I can't start a day without cereal. These are the one's I eat on a regular basis. They keep me full, they keep me 'regular', the give me energy, and they are yummy!

Kashi Go-Lean Crunch Honey Almond Flax
    200 cal, 36 carb, 5 fat, 9 protein, 8 fiber, 6 calcium per cup

Post Great Grains Protein Blend
    330 cal, 56 carb, 8 fat, 12 protein, 9 fiber, 3 calcium per cup

Barbara's Bakery Shredded Spoonfuls Multigrain (tastes like Life Cereal)
    160 cal, 32 carb, 2 fat, 5 protein, 5 fiber, 3 calcium per cup

Nature's Path Multigrain Oatbran Flakes ( I usually add a packet of Splenda to sweeten it a bit)
    147 cal, 32 carb, 1 fat, 4 protein, 7 fiber, 3 calcium
  • ClaireCeline
    ClaireCeline Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I alternate between Special K Protein Plus and Old fashion oatmeal. The Special K Protein Plus is high in protein and fiber.
    To the 1/2 cup of Old Fashion Oatmeal I add Cinnamon, 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of Motts Apple Juice, no sugar added and
    microwave it for 4 minutes.(Make sure bowl is big enough) You may like it with a little extra water. Smells and taste great.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Cheerios, bran flakes, wheat chex (or generic), Honey Bunches of Oats, or frosted mini wheats. I often add fruit to the first 3.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Grapenuts with semi skimmed milk and a sprinkling of mixed nuts, seeds and raisins on top.
  • fkwilhelm
    fkwilhelm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Half a cup of quick-cooking oats, quarter cup of frozen berries, three-quarters cup of milk (I like mine whole and am ready to defend it) and no additional sweetener. I did this with maple syrup in the past but the berries are sweet enough and you start realizing that oats actually have some flavor.
  • MissJJ74
    MissJJ74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I watch sugars. Regular cheerios... only. Multigrain cheerios has more sugar per serving than cookie crisp. I also do REGULAR rasin bran.

I use almond milk because of lactose problems but whatever else would be fine.

I'm in the same exact boat and this is what I stick with. You would be surprised by the amount of sugar there is even in "healthy" cereals. Anything over 8g is too much. Also almond milk is an easy alternative to regular milk to switch to and it's only 30-40 calories.

I also stick with plain oats and will add berries and cinnamon to it.
  • tiffanympm
    Options
    I watch sugars. Regular cheerios... only. Multigrain cheerios has more sugar per serving than cookie crisp. I also do REGULAR rasin bran.

I use almond milk because of lactose problems but whatever else would be fine.

I'm in the same exact boat and this is what I stick with. You would be surprised by the amount of sugar there is even in "healthy" cereals. Anything over 8g is too much. Also almond milk is an easy alternative to regular milk to switch to and it's only 30-40 calories.

I also stick with plain oats and will add berries and cinnamon to it.

Exactly. For me it doesn't matter how much I eat but the quality of what I'm eating.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I love cereal..... I soak 70 grams of porridge oats overnight in water, with pumpin seeds, dried cranberries and sprinkle some cinammon on....Hot in the microwave for a couple of mins..... So yummy!!! And I have a handful of almonds too : )

Weekends I like lots of mushrooms in an omelette, with mixed peppers and mixed seeds, and some tomatoes on the side....Dont know why, I dont like tomatoes in my omelettes...Makes them too wet and soggy!!!!

Love breakfast.....Dont know how people go to work and not have anything to eat.....

Eat like a king for breakfast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : )
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    I'm a cereal freak. I can't start a day without cereal. These are the one's I eat on a regular basis. They keep me full, they keep me 'regular', the give me energy, and they are yummy!

Kashi Go-Lean Crunch Honey Almond Flax
    200 cal, 36 carb, 5 fat, 9 protein, 8 fiber, 6 calcium per cup

Post Great Grains Protein Blend
    330 cal, 56 carb, 8 fat, 12 protein, 9 fiber, 3 calcium per cup

Barbara's Bakery Shredded Spoonfuls Multigrain (tastes like Life Cereal)
    160 cal, 32 carb, 2 fat, 5 protein, 5 fiber, 3 calcium per cup

Nature's Path Multigrain Oatbran Flakes ( I usually add a packet of Splenda to sweeten it a bit)
    147 cal, 32 carb, 1 fat, 4 protein, 7 fiber, 3 calcium

these all look like awesome ideas. i always reach for cereal when i'm to tired to cook dinner or in the morning when i havent planned breakfast.

any more high fiber, high protein suggestions guys?
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean.

They use the best tasting GMO soy crisps and IDGAF.

Nah, it's actually decent with just the right amount of sweetness and whole grain flavor.
  • ToFatToBeSick
    Options
    All I eat is cereal (for the most part). I'm obsessed! Try kix. Calories are 110 in 1 1/4 cup.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    When I have cereal I usually have 1 serving of Wheat Bran Cereal Dry cuz I don't like the taste of milk. I put it in a coffee cup so its easier to measure than in a bowl. and I have either a 100 calorie old home yogurt with it or a yoplait 2x protein greek yogurt with it.
  • ToFatToBeSick
    Options
    cherrios, captain crunch, fruity pepples, honeycomb.

And Lucky Charms.

You can't forget Lucky Charms.

I love Lucky Charms.

Lately I've been eating Chocolate Marshmallow Mateys. I prefer them to chocolate Lucky Charms. They are basically Coco puffs with marshmallows. The days I eat them are usually the only days I reach MFP's iron recommendations. Unfortunately, they aren't very high in fiber.

I didn't really care for the Fiber One cereals as cereals, but they make an awesome healthy pie crust.

I've eaten that cereal everyday for the past 2 weeks. Fantastic stuff.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Cherries(Like Multi-Grain or Banana nut best) with Strawberries and Bananas
    Oatmeal with mixed berries and/or bananas and strawberries.
  • Gemini_at_36
    Options
    special K is a choice, 1 cup serving has 120 calories. But if you are looking for protein, I have been doing the scrambled egg and 1 piece of Arnold protein bread, this morning I couldn't even eat the entire piece of bread -- the hounds got bread and scrambled egg.:smile:
  • LaurenEileen74
    LaurenEileen74 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I love 2 cups of Cherrios with 1 cup of Almond Milk for breakfast :smile:
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal as I don't eat cold cereal too often.

Something else I like to eat is 2 tbsp of Wow Butter with 6-8 dried black cherries with 1/2 cup of Highwood Crossing Flax and Sunflower seed Granola (all of it is certified nut, gluten, egg and dairy free!) It's filling and delicious but high in calories and carbs lol. Worth it.