Whats up with the "I quit" threads lately?

Options

Replies

• mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    We'd all love the weight to fall off while we sit around sipping champagne and having big fat chips and mayo/Belgian chocolates/kettle chips (delete to taste) readily to hand. But life's not like that:cry: Just signing up for this won't make you lose weight, any more than buying 10 fitness DVDs will make you lose weight - you have to participate!

I don't join a gym because I know I wouldn't go - and I can not go for free without joining (if you see what I mean). So I cut out those little extras, and I do some exercise so i can fit a little treat into the calculation, and slowly its working. SLOWLY. I know it stalls at least once a month (ahem) and I know it won't all go at once. But if I lose slowly hopefully my skin will snap back too and I won't have bingo wings and wrinkles like an old lizard. According to the calculation I should reach my goal weight right about on cue for my summer vacation. And I can live with that.:happy:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Like anything, I think it's down to not being ready to change perhaps because they wanted to change not for themselves but for someone else. When you want to change something, it may be beneficial to think "What's in it for me?" If you think "I want to lose weight so men find me attractive" or "I want to lose weight to make my husband love me again" or "I want to lose weight so people don't laugh at me" that's all about changing for someone else.

If you want to lose weight so you can live a long, healthy life or so your knees don't hurt or so you can play with your grandchildren then that's doing it for you.

Learn to love yourself.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    The weirdest are the quitter topics where the OP claims to have started like 3 or 5 days ago, or a week...
    Like... what were they thinking?
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    It's February, when all the New Year's resolutionists realize this isn't easy. Or they aren't losing 10 pounds a week, like people on the Biggest Loser. So they quit, or whine about quitting.

People need to realize that this process is slow and hard and you need mental toughness and will power to get through every day. Some people just don't have it.

^^^^ This^^^^
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the whole concept of quitting. What are they quitting? Being thin? Being fit? Being healthy? I understand bad days and taking a break for a treat, but what is there to quit? I have asked this question several times on "quit" threads and have yet to be answered. I think people take this way too seriously and have an unattainable expectation of themselves. My view is that if you ate a dozen doughnuts every breakfast, cut back to eleven, then ten, etc. Don't replace all your doughnuts with two spoons of orange juice. And don't be in such a hurry, you have forever to lose this weight. One of the best pieces of advice I read was that this about caloric equalibrium. If a person ate at the calorie number of their maintenance weight, eventually they would be at their target weight. It just would take longer than a calorie deficit. So every little thing you do, be it walking a little more, throwing away that last bite of a hamburger, skipping the fries, is a step toward reaching your caloric equalibrium. This doesn't have to be a drastic change. If it's too hard to maintain a deficit, go to target weight maintenance for awhile. That is still moving in a positive direction. I hope this ramble makes sense, I am on my first cup of coffee.:yawn:
  • MereExtraordinaire
    MereExtraordinaire Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I think it's a cry out for attention as well. In addition to the realization that this isn't easy, they simply don't have the support they need or want to keep pushing. But the trick is, I think you have to give a lot of support in order to get a lot back. And some people just don't.
  • TheKeithEllis
    TheKeithEllis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I think it's a cry out for attention as well. In addition to the realization that this isn't easy, they simply don't have the support they need or want to keep pushing. But the trick is, I think you have to give a lot of support in order to get a lot back. And some people just don't.

This tbh!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    The weirdest are the quitter topics where the OP claims to have started like 3 or 5 days ago, or a week...
    Like... what were they thinking?

They think that losing weight is like the Biggest Loser, and that you will lose 10+ pounds a week and be at your goal weight within a month.

To OP:
    So let them quit.

More room in the gym for me, and less annoying threads on the boards.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    It's because people here are so mean. They'd all stick with it and reach their goals if people here weren't so rude and told them things they didn't want to hear. They would eat right and exercise and have all the success they wanted, but someone used a cat gif they didn't like so forget it.

<seriously heavy sarcasm>

It's the end of February. Now we see who's serious about this and who isn't.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Quitting won't help with weight loss - I don't understand why the quitters think that resuming what is already not working is their best route. It's a cop-out, in my humble opinion. I hear stuff like "this is too hard" or "I can't do this" or "I don't have time", blah blah blah, blah. Either they want it or they don't; they'll figure it out or they won't.

Anyway, all the best to everyone who is on a journey to better health and good luck to those still struggling amongst themselves.

:flowerforyou:

Quitting is easy. To keep doing what you've been doing is the easiest road to take and let's face it.. as humans, we often want to take the easiest road with the least amount of resistance. Weight loss isn't easy (if it were, NO ONE would be overweight) and people give up too easily. They figure they didn't lose 30lbs in the last 6 weeks, so why bother? They want lightening fast results and aren't looking at the big picture. You can't make them want to do it - they have to want to do it. Nothing we say will change their motivation to continue.
  • Sw33tKnees
    Sw33tKnees Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I can understand these peoples (Some of them) frustrations! For me.. Three weeks and nothing! Not one pound. Not One Ounce. Not One Inch. I really do want to just f-it! But I wont! I will just try something new ie: eat more, watch my macros better but I am not quitting!!! I'm here for the race.. I am here for the life time! But like I said.... I can relate to why some people do want to quit though so I would rather them voice it out, get support and get back on the wagon than hold it in and give up!!
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    apparently, this is the time of the year when the New Year's Resolutioners become disenchanted because they haven't been able to lose 35lbs in 6 weeks, so they start quitting.

/thread
  • Ben_1960
    Ben_1960 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Does not really matter to me, I have stopped losing weight before and put it back on. Each to their own I say. There are a lot of sanctimonious people on this thread! A good job they are all perfect as they would all be on this site trying to lose weight!..........oh I forgot they are!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for the last 28 months and it happen all the time....not just from the resolutionist

You really have to want it

You have to work at it

Sometime it is hard

.....and it is not for everyone.
  • hosegirl
    hosegirl Posts: 157
    Options
    I personally do not like to use the term "quit". People have things that happen in their life that derails them for a bit. It could be an illness, stress etc. Mine was a major automobile accident. At first I did nto think anything was wrong but as I continued to work out my left hip would hurt and then I had difficulty walking. Come to find out that I had cracked my left hip ball and socket. The seat belt latch was the cuprit. It was not only the physical part of the accidnet but the mental part-dealing with insurance companies, dealing with automobile companies. But I am getting back on track. SO not everone means to "quit'. Things in life just happen. Like an automobile accidnet.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    apparently, this is the time of the year when the New Year's Resolutioners become disenchanted because they haven't been able to lose 35lbs in 6 weeks, so they start quitting.

I think this is part of it too.

To those who are thinking of quiting, change can be hard but re-inventing yourself is exciting and well worth the work. Don't listen to your doubts, just concentrate on the long term goal.
  • MrsC160
    MrsC160 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

yep
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who constantly has excuses as to why she can't go for walks, start a workout routine eat healthier ect, I will say here what I tell her and that is you obviosly don't want it bad enough.
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    It's February. The "New Resolution's Hype" is over. Only those who are committed will remain. On a good note, if you go to a gym, now it's back to normal. I workout at home so it doesn't really affect me in any way. Although, I wish people will realize that it took them years to get out of shape, it will take a little more than 1 month to get back in shape.