General Comment About People Who Don't Lift

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Re-read her message. She asked about doing them before switching to weights, not in place of.

I read her message. She asked if it was the same. You said "yes." That is wrong, and I corrected your incorrect information. I gave her the truth - that she could use them, but it's not the same and won't produce a fraction of the results.

I think you are wrong there too, since resistance bands can provide the same results as lighter weights, which is where one would start. But it did make me smile when you quoted my "Yes" and cut off the rest so could you pretend I was saying weights and resistance bands were the same and "correct" me. So thanks for that little laugh. :laugh:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I think you are wrong there too, since resistance bands can provide the same results as lighter weights, which is where one would start. But it did make me smile when you quoted my "Yes" and cut off the rest so could you pretend I was saying weights and resistance bands were the same and "correct" me. So thanks for that little laugh. :laugh:

They don't. That's a simple fact. Sorry.
  • DonnaNCgirl
    Options
    For those intently following this thread...

Although there are lots of headbangers currently busting concrete, there is still plenty of space available.

:smokin:
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I'll echo the above poster: how do you get a "firm" toned body without heavy resistance work?
    They're moderate resistance work.
    I have agreed from the beginning that people can achieve physiques they desire by doing things other than lifting. That is a simple fact.
    If it can be done, why is it 'silly'?
    If your goal is to "lose weight and get in shape" then chances that the best way to do that isn't to start orienteering. If you love orienteering then that's great.
    If you love orienteering and hate lifting weights, orienteering is a "better" way to get in shape. Once again, consistency trumps efficiency long term
    The point I've been making since the beginning is that orienteering, treadmills, ellipticals, and surfing will not produce the results lifting will.
    I have agreed from the beginning that people can achieve physiques they desire by doing things other than lifting.
    Lifting is more effective at producing the results the vast majority of people want than the stuff they currently do.
    CONSISTENCY TRUMPS EFFICIENCY LONG TERM
    But don't pretend that your hours on the elliptical with pink dumbbells or doing yoga is going to produce the same kinds of results.
    At the risk of repeating the consistency v efficiency argument one more time, lets take a hypothetical scenario. I hate body pump classes. I'm a large guy who's clumsy and feel horribly out of place in them. I tried going once with my wife and failed miserably. That being said, if I found out today that I could achieve my goal physique in a year doing body pump for an hour daily, or I could achieve it in five years doing what I'm doing now (lifting, cardio, and martial arts) I'd choose what I'm doing now. I enjoy it more, I'll be happier, and I'm more likely to stick with that for five years than the year of hell that would be body pump. I don't know that you understand the point I'm trying to make.

Also I use resistance bands regularly in my workout, they can be quite useful.

Pumping Iron is great, but there's more to it than that.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    You have grown boring and tiresome. Now is the time on schprockets when we dahnce!!!
    388137_o.gif
  • jonnythan
    Options
    If it can be done, why is it 'silly'?

Because it's extremely inefficient and, for the most part, people hate doing it anyway.
    If you love orienteering and hate lifting weights, orienteering is a "better" way to get in shape. Once again, consistency trumps efficiency long term

No argument regarding that point.
    if I found out today that I could achieve my goal physique in a year doing body pump for an hour daily, or I could achieve it in five years doing what I'm doing now (lifting, cardio, and martial arts) I'd choose what I'm doing now. I enjoy it more, I'll be happier, and I'm more likely to stick with that for five years than the year of hell that would be body pump. I don't know that you understand the point I'm trying to make.

I understand that point. And that's fine. Do what you want to do. Assuming body pump was significantly superior to lifting in terms of results, then I'd say "fine, do what you want to do, just don't try to tell us that lifting is every bit as good as body pump."

Lifting works better than anything else to achieve the results most people want. If you don't want to lift, then don't lift. But you should accept that what you are doing will produce inferior results.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    For those intently following this thread...

Although there are lots of headbangers currently busting concrete, there is still plenty of space available.

:smokin:

It's like a train wreck, I can't not watch.
  • jeanmariemcp
    jeanmariemcp Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Simple.

I lift so I can carry and swing a weapon to kill zombies.
    I do cardio so I can outrun zombies.
    I do yoga so I can outmaneuver the zombies.
  • popo0509
    popo0509 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Simple.

I lift so I can carry and swing a weapon to kill zombies.
    I do cardio so I can outrun zombies.
    I do yoga so I can outmaneuver the zombies.

????
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options

then I'd say "fine, do what you want to do, just don't try to tell us that lifting is every bit as good as body pump."

Lifting works better than anything else to achieve the results most people want. If you don't want to lift, then don't lift. But you should accept that what you are doing will produce inferior results.

the body pump classes Ive taken are in fact the same if not better than lifting....we use barbells, not smith machines... we do compound lifts and increase weights as we progress.... the only difference is body pump uses music and is in a group setting
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I understand that point. And that's fine. Do what you want to do. Assuming body pump was significantly superior to lifting in terms of results, then I'd say "fine, do what you want to do, just don't try to tell us that lifting is every bit as good as body pump."

*sigh - I give up

You can't separate efficiency from effectiveness. You keep claiming it's superior or better because you think it's faster.

“The most fatal illusion is the settled point of view. Since life is growth and motion, a fixed point of view kills anybody who has one.”
  • jonnythan
    Options

*sigh - I give up

You can't separate efficiency from effectiveness. You keep claiming it's superior or better because you think it's faster.

“The most fatal illusion is the settled point of view. Since life is growth and motion, a fixed point of view kills anybody who has one.”

We seem to agree on the facts, but disagree on the semantics.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    the body pump classes Ive taken are in fact the same if not better than lifting....we use barbells, not smith machines... we do compound lifts and increase weights as we progress.... the only difference is body pump uses music and is in a group setting

I have no idea what body pump is, but if you're doing "compound lifts" with progressive weight....... that's lifting. ;)
  • glassxxballerina
    Options
    Not that I'm in immediate danger of either, but I'd rather have a dancer's body than a lifter's body.
    have you seen dancers nowadays? at least broadway dancers. RIPPED

I just had to LOL at this because apparently there's still a misconception that female dancers must be twigs.

6419319917_a308ed8903_z.jpg

Dayna O'Connell, professional ballet dancer with Odyssey Dance Theater. RIPPED.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Not that I'm in immediate danger of either, but I'd rather have a dancer's body than a lifter's body.
    have you seen dancers nowadays? at least broadway dancers. RIPPED

I just had to LOL at this because apparently there's still a misconception that female dancers must be twigs.

6419319917_a308ed8903_z.jpg

Dayna O'Connell, professional ballet dancer with Odyssey Dance Theater. RIPPED.

And of course, there are no special muscles there a lifter wouldn't/couldn't have.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Why are you sorry? Because for once you agreed with me?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Are you mature enough and capable enough to let anything go ever?? Or is argueing an endurance sport for you?
  • bcattoes
    Options

Are you mature enough and capable enough to let anything go ever?? Or is argueing an endurance sport for you?

Yes. No, but I do enjoy it.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Yes. No, but I do enjoy it.

Obviously several people do.
  • DonnaNCgirl
    Options
    Some of us check in to view the carnage. Feel free to continue headbanging.