General Comment About People Who Don't Lift

Options
I've noticed some comments on success stories about people thinking that the poster should start lifting heavy and all that after they've lost weight. I understand that if you want to tone up or build muscle. But if you do have a low body fat percentage already, what's so wrong with just looking slim? Especially for women?

Can anyone give me some sort of data of the importance of lifting? (Aside from muscle needing more calories than fat for maintenance) Or is it just a personal appearance thing?

Replies

• davesurf20
    davesurf20 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Although many think of lifting weights as a masculine activity, many women have discovered the numerous benefits and the health improvements that come with regular strength training. Benefits come to anybody who participates in strength training, but adult women have an additional motivation specific to their health needs as they get older.

Identification

Strength training is a workout technique that requires you to perform movements against some type of resistance, which can come in the form of dumbbells, barbells, machines or your own body weight. As you perform the movements against resistance, your muscles become overloaded, fatigued and suffer from minor tears. The muscles heal, adapt and grow so that they're better able to handle subsequent strength training sessions.

Program Design

Women typically have busy schedules, but fitting in an effective strength training program does not have to take up too much time. Twenty minutes is plenty of time to fit in adequate exercises. Women should strive to lift two to three days per week, with a day of rest in between. New England Wellness suggests that women choose a weight that causes muscle fatigue at around eight to 12 repetitions and to complete one to three sets of eight to 12 repetitions. Choose exercises that work all of the major muscle groups.

Benefits

Strength training strengthens muscles, ligaments and tendons, which subsequently affect the ability to perform daily activities, such as mowing the lawn or picking up a child. It improves balance and self-confidence. The increase in muscle mass from consistent strength training results in a faster metabolism, which means that more calories are burned per unit of time, even while at rest. This facilitates body fat loss and promotes a healthy body weight.

Importance Specific To Women

Although strength training is important for everyone to participate in, women specifically should take part in a regular lifting regime to assist in the maintenance and developing of bone density. Because of hormonal differences, as females get older, they naturally lose density in their bone. The stress that lifting weights places on bones slows deterioration and can even cause bones to grow stronger, reducing the risk of osteoporosis.

Considerations

Many women are hesitant to participate in strength training because they're afraid of developing big muscles that many consider unattractive. It's important to note than women are physiologically unable to build large muscles like men unless they possess an abnormal amount of testosterone or receive assistance through artificial means.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/156719-importance-of-strength-training-for-women/#ixzz2LI4pRdNu
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    no sense in being a skinny weakling.... when you are elderly not suffering from osteoporosis you will appreciate lifting weight
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Not that I'm in immediate danger of either, but I'd rather have a dancer's body than a lifter's body.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There are many more benefits to strength training. Those who lift will generally have lower body fat, additionally, building your muscle will improve the support they provide to your body. A strong muscle is less likely to allow you to injure yourself. Also, weight training will improve the chances you lose less muscle during your weight loss journey which means you will need to lose less weight to "get skinny".
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Not that I'm in immediate danger of either, but I'd rather have a dancer's body than a lifter's body.

What is your image of a weight lifters body?
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    It's more important for women. Osteoporosis is the big reason. If you are elderly and you fall and break a hip, you are probably done. Bones are cruel to women, and lifting is what saves us.

Also, then you can open your own jar of pickles. ;)
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options

What is your image of a weight lifters body?

This. A Dancer's body is a lifter's body. But for the record, I just want the FLOTUS' body.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    have you seen dancers nowadays? at least broadway dancers. RIPPED
  • emelia_
    Options
    I would just like to point out that when first lifting heavy you should always know WHAT you're doing! I see too many posts that don't mention this but you can cause serious damage to your back very easily if you lift wrong.
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options

That's a damned lie. Sure, you open them fine the first time, but it's a double edged sword, you'll put the lid back on tighter than you used to, and once again, the blasted thing won't open.
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I want to start doing it for a few reasons:

1. It helps prevent osteoporosis. A very common problem in women as they age that makes their bones brittle. I don't want to be a senior and fall and break something and be bed ridden

2. It helps prevent high blood pressure which puts you at risk of cardiovascular disease and strokes

3. Lean muscle helps you burn calories making weight maintenance easier

4. It can strengthen your joints which can help with joint pain or arthritis

5. Reduces your risk of diabetes

6. People who have lean muscles look great
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to me, listen to what the Mayo Clinic says about the benefits of weight training:

"Improved bone health: Strength training increases bone density and reduces the risk of osteoporosis.

Reduced risk of injury: Weight training can contribute to better balance, coordination and agility — reducing the risk of injury. Strengthening makes joints more stable and helps muscles take a greater role in absorbing stresses exerted on joints.

Improved weight control: Muscles burn calories. Muscle gains through strength training help burn more calories, making it easier to reduce body fat and control weight. At first, strength training may not result in much weight loss because muscle weight gains may offset losses in fat weight. Reduction in measurements such as waist size and a leaner overall body are likely to occur.

Reduced back pain: Strengthening lower back muscles is a proven way to ease back pain.

Improved cognition: A recent study found that older women who participated in strength training once or twice a week improved cognitive function."

Source: http://www.mayoclinic.org/news2011-mchi/6358.html
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand why people make it like you have to do one or the other. I do both. I don't see a problem with either, I enjoy both and I feel like I am getting what I need from both sides of it.
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone think that if a woman lifts weights they will look like the incredible hulk?? This is a complete falsehood
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Second everything southcarolina said. Weight baring exercises helps to protect your bones from osteoporosis as well as everything else they said. Also, there is a difference between "looking" slim and being "skinny fat". In fact that was me a year ago. I "looked" slim but I was at 34% BF. Terribly unhealthy. A diverse program is good for everyone. (And I appreciate the sarcasm jdholland lol)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    It's more important for women. Osteoporosis is the big reason. If you are elderly and you fall and break a hip, you are probably done. Bones are cruel to women, and lifting is what saves us.

^^ This.

Plus, adding muscle mass means you get to eat more calories and still look good. Always a big deal for me!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with just wanting to be thin. I thought that's what I wanted initially, and while I looked good in clothes - it was a different story when I was out of them.

To the person who said they prefer a dancer's body, there basically the same body type a a female lifter, just more flexible.

Example Misty Copeland, very famous ballet dancer:

misty-copeland100.jpg?w=449&h=396
  • KazSmith68
    Options
    I enjoy the strength training/weight lifting, it's a nice change from doing cardio so long to lose lots of weight. I can do a variety of machines and before I know it an hour has gone...Loving it! :happy:
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Great thread :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Big reasons include osteoperosis prevention, injury prevention (just preventing injuries from regular activity or other sports), and better metabolic function (blood sugar, for example, is better stabilized by people who resis.tance train). Also, better flexibility, joint mobility, and decreased pain (like for people with chronic lower back pain)

But do whatever you want. Your goals are your goals- if you don't want to do it- don't. But there are literally tons of reasons it's beneficial.