General Comment About People Who Don't Lift

Options

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Great thread for advice on here.

I've read the best place to start is starting strength, NROLFW or the likes however i'm worried I will injure myself in the process...will such books give me a good enough grounding to get into lifting? I feel like i should be getting help from a trainer or something to use the machines at the gym, i havent done this before..

New Rules will give you a good foundation, and there is also a group on here with a lot of resources, and you can ask questions and keep in touch for support.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The machines are absolutely pointless. Avoid them like the plague. The problem with machines is that the constrained motion isolates a single muscle and that's it. A lift like the squat, however, works entire muscle groups all over your body. The squat works your quads, calves, glutes, core, and lower back as well as helps with balance and coordination. You could work with machines all day and not get the same workout you get with half an hour squatting.

Starting Strength speaks at great length about proper form. You really need to start light and, if you're doing it alone, take lots of video. Trainers at regular gyms are taught to avoid such exercises because no one can hurt themselves on the machines, and they care more about getting sued than they do your fitness.

For this reason I suggest people find powerlifting gyms, crossfit gyms with very good reputations among lifters, or independent trainers.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I work two very physical jobs where lifting and carrying heavy objects is a requirement. I work in the automotive industry and I work as a tree crew ground worker. Both require strength and indurance which I have. I can easilly carry 100 plus pounds and I can yeild a chain saw for 8 hours a day ( along with other equipment). I am 149lbs with a body fat percent of 19. I don't lift heavily and I am still getting the results I want as far as appearance and strength. Most women I have seen who lift heavy look too "bulky" for my taste. I will say that my idea of bulky is probably different tan most so telling me women don't get bulky won't do any good because what I see as bulky might be a little different.

I don't think lifting is a must and frankly I am tired of it being shoved down my throat.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else, but I wont ever stop lifting weights now that I have done it. I can carry my son around without feeling like my arms are going to fall off. Who wouldn't wanna be stronger?

Everyone wants to be stronger. Everyone wants to look toned.

But people are afraid of failure and of the unknown. Therefore they make excuses. "I don't wanna look like a lifter" or whatever. It's all just excuses. No one looks at a shapely, toned dancer or athlete and thinks "man I would hate to look like that."

Girls do this kind of thing all the time. They'll see a picture of an Abercrombie model and tell their friends "oh I don't want a guy who looks all roided up like that" or whatever. They're lying to themselves though because they know a guy who looks like that is out of their league. But when Magic Mike comes out in theaters they all gang up to go see it. When a guy like that walks in front of them at the beach, they look and blush. That's the nature of the game. It's sour grapes.

The key is to conquer your fear and accept reality. You really do want to look good. You want to be toned and shapely. The question is whether you have the commitment to accomplish it.
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Everyone wants to look better, and if lifting weights gets you there then great. My goal is to feel better. I been very weak and sore for a few years. Carrying my son for more then a few minutes is something HUGE for me.

I think people need to do what gets them to their goal. Not worry about what other people think.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Great thread for advice on here.

I've read the best place to start is starting strength, NROLFW or the likes however i'm worried I will injure myself in the process...will such books give me a good enough grounding to get into lifting? I feel like i should be getting help from a trainer or something to use the machines at the gym, i havent done this before..

You start at a weight low enough that you won't injure yourself, and only increase, in small amounts, when you can do so safely.

For instance, I've been doing Stronglifts 5x5, and started the overhead press at 45 pounds. The first few weeks, I was able to increase by 5 pounds each time I did it, then I stalled at I think 60 pounds and couldn't complete all my reps. So I stayed at that weight until I could finish them all. The next week, I added weight again. Also, by then, I was only increasing by 2 pounds at a time instead of 5 pounds. In stronglifts, if you "fail" three times, you decrease your weight by 10% and start over. So when I couldn't get past 65 pounds, I went back to 60 pounds and built up again from there.

Personally, I loved "failing" because it meant I was really pushing myself to my limits. :smile:

As for free weights vs machines... I wouldn't say machines are completely useless, but having done both, I'm completely sold on free weights. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/744311-free-weights-vs-machines-holy-crap
  • Selunca
    Selunca Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    This isn't a medical or really valid answer, but .. I felt better. After I started lifting I really started to feel more confident in my body. While I was thin, things still jiggled. There is a lot less jiggle, and a lot more appealing curves on my arms/stomach now that I've started lifting/strength training.
  • beckieboomoo
    beckieboomoo Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Random question but does weight lifting effect your breast size? am losing a lot of weight and i am aware that i may lose a couple of sizes but am not too worried as i have more or less been the same bra size at my heaviest and lightest weight, but i know it will help my body if i do a bit of weight training, i just don't want it to effect my breast size to much :laugh:
  • deksgrl
    Options
    I work two very physical jobs where lifting and carrying heavy objects is a requirement. I work in the automotive industry and I work as a tree crew ground worker. Both require strength and indurance which I have. I can easilly carry 100 plus pounds and I can yeild a chain saw for 8 hours a day ( along with other equipment). I am 149lbs with a body fat percent of 19. I don't lift heavily and I am still getting the results I want as far as appearance and strength. Most women I have seen who lift heavy look too "bulky" for my taste. I will say that my idea of bulky is probably different tan most so telling me women don't get bulky won't do any good because what I see as bulky might be a little different.

I don't think lifting is a must and frankly I am tired of it being shoved down my throat.

You ARE lifting heavy. Most women are not doing anything that physical for their job.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Random question but does weight lifting effect your breast size? am losing a lot of weight and i am aware that i may lose a couple of sizes but am not too worried as i have more or less been the same bra size at my heaviest and lightest weight, but i know it will help my body if i do a bit of weight training, i just don't want it to effect my breast size to much :laugh:

You might, you might not. Depends on your genetics. But they will be perkier even if you lose some.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Lifting by itself doesn't, though making the pecs behind your breasts larger can make them a little more prominent.

Losing weight, however, generally makes breasts smaller.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I used to lift weights, but haven't in a long time. Now I do resistance training using just my own body weight, and it seems to work just fine. I'm not trying to become competition level bulky or trying to bench press a VW, so this is working just fine to develop nice shapely muscles.

I do a ton of hard cardio every week. This may also be helping me develop some nice muscle tone and definition.
  • beckieboomoo
    Options

You might, you might not. Depends on your genetics. But they will be perkier even if you lose some.

okay thankyou :)
  • beckieboomoo
    Options

Lifting by itself doesn't, though making the pecs behind your breasts larger can make them a little more prominent.

Losing weight, however, generally makes breasts smaller.

okay thanks :)
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    There are other ways besides lifting to become strong and toned. I don't believe in doing exercise that you hate, and I can't stand lifting, so I do yoga and barre instead.
  • beckieboomoo
    Options
    also is there no point in me doing weights untill i have lost most of the weight am wanting to lose? :)
  • deksgrl
    Options
    also is there no point in me doing weights untill i have lost most of the weight am wanting to lose? :)

That is false.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Totally false. If you lose weight without lifting, you will be sacrificing much of the muscle you have now. The body tends to break down and use up muscle tissue faster than fat when losing mass.

It's much much harder to create muscle than it is to maintain it.

So enjoy the benefits of the muscle you already have. Lift while you lose weight and you won't have to try to recreate that lean mass later on.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Sure, you don't have to, you can just be slim. That's ok too.

Importance of lifting (specifically for women)

1) More muscle. When you lose weight, you lose muscle. It happens. Even if you don't build any overall, lifting while losing fat, helps to maintain more muscle. More muscle generally equals more "tone". A lot of women talk about wanting to look "toned". This is one of the easiest ways to go about achieving that.

2) You become stronger.; Being able to lift more helps in daily life, simple as that.

3) Bones become stronger/more dense. As you get older you lose bone density, making you more susceptible to osteoporosis. This is more common in women, because of hormone differences.

4) It's fun. Well, for most people who do it it's fun. If you hate it so much that the above mentioned points aren't worth it, then don't. I personally found that while I liked it to begin with, I loved it even more once I started getting stronger!

5) You get to eat more. I see so many women losing weight, eating so little! Not only is weight-training exercise, thus burning calories. It also tends to burn more calories in the 24 hours afterwards, than regular cardio. Burn extra calories while sitting down? Sounds good to me! Also, more muscle tends to equal an overall larger calorie burn,
  • beckieboomoo
    Options

Totally false. If you lose weight without lifting, you will be sacrificing much of the muscle you have now. The body tends to break down and use up muscle tissue faster than fat when losing mass.

It's much much harder to create muscle than it is to maintain it.

So enjoy the benefits of the muscle you already have. Lift while you lose weight and you won't have to try to recreate that lean mass later on.

okay thanks :) i am bit clueless when it comes to weights :laugh: