General Comment About People Who Don't Lift

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I would just like to point out that when first lifting heavy you should always know WHAT you're doing! I see too many posts that don't mention this but you can cause serious damage to your back very easily if you lift wrong.

Shouldn't that be a given? If you're going to do something, learn the right way to do it. I haven't seen any threads about mountain biking where they say, "Before hitting the trails, make sure you know how to ride a bike." :wink:

If someone asks where to start, they get answers and pointed to beginner guides and programs. I just answered that in this thread a minute ago.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'm 51, have lifted on and off for years. I had back issues a few months back, had an mri of my spine and was told by the Dr. that I have the bones of an 18 year old. I attribute that to all of the walking and lifting, and probably just old fashioned gardening I've done over the years. I'm sold on it.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Lifting has become a very important part of my training for marathons and smaller races. Quite honestly, I love the look of a toned body. When I look at myself in the mirror I love the muscle I see and my husband says it is really hot :) Lifting not only makes me stronger but it also makes me a better all around athlete. At 43 lifting is also important because as we age our bones become weaker and having strong muscles will help us to age a bit easier.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Great thread
  • jdsmom0104
    Options
    its impossible for women to look bulky/masculine.. we dont have the testosterone to look that way.... i looooooooooooooooove lifting!
  • wildchild06241
    wildchild06241 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've thought about lifting but I don't have weights and I belong to Curves for Women and don't want to join another. Curves says I'm getting strength training because their equipment works with resistance not weights. I also do strength training on my WII fit which includes lunges, pushups etc. And incase I'm not getting enough I also downloaded YAYOG. I did that on Saturday for 16 minutes and discovered the muscles I'm missing (I mean that I haven't exercised!). I'll probably try that once every 2-3 days as well. So do I still need to lift?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I've thought about lifting but I don't have weights and I belong to Curves for Women and don't want to join another. Curves says I'm getting strength training because their equipment works with resistance not weights. I also do strength training on my WII fit which includes lunges, pushups etc. And incase I'm not getting enough I also downloaded YAYOG. I did that on Saturday for 16 minutes and discovered the muscles I'm missing (I mean that I haven't exercised!). I'll probably try that once every 2-3 days as well. So do I still need to lift?

You will get some benefit from doing body weight resistance, but it's not the same and you'd have to do a LOT of it to get the same results. I did body weight resistance for 13 months, and I did increase my fitness because I was doing nothing before that. But in 3 weeks of lifting, I am starting to see results that I didn't get in 13 months of body weight resistance.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'll come right out and say that lifting is more important than cardio, especially for women.

When losing weight, your body consumes muscle faster than it consumes fat. Muscle tissue is extremely important in maintaining metabolism. Even if you don't want to look "toned" or whatever, having muscle underneath your fat gives you structure and makes you look much better. I've seen numerous thin women who started lifting, maintained roughly the same size, but looked a hundred times better because their butts, thighs, and arms went from being a bit saggy to firm.

And of course there are the bone benefits, as have been mentioned. Lifting significantly increases and maintains bone density, which is especially important for aging women.

All else being equal, a woman who doesn't lift and has 25% body fat will be significantly less healthy and look worse than a woman who lifts and has 18% body fat. Period.

Developing and maintaining some quantity of muscle is extremely important. The only effective way to do that is heavy freeweights or tailored bodyweight exercises. Machines are pointless for anyone except bodybuilders trying to target a very specific single muscle.

The answer, wildchild, is "yes; everyone does."
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    Options
    I think this thread may have actually convinced me to incorporate some strength training into my week. In school I used to be the airhead that would lift more in gym class just to show off. That was about the only time I participated though haha. Thanks everyone :)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    The answer, wildchild, is "yes; everyone does."

Actually, as someone that lifts, I'm going to say "no". Everyone does not need to lift, it is however the single most efficient way to develop strength and muscle. But it depends on fitness and esthetic goals and personal enjoyment.

You should do what you can stick to first and foremost.

If you want an effective and efficient program that helps in almost all sport or will help in weight loss or specific esthetics then yes, lift.

And cardiovascular fitness has its place - it should not be an argument of either/or but kickin' *kitten*.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options

Also, then you can open your own jar of pickles. ;)

That's a damned lie. Sure, you open them fine the first time, but it's a double edged sword, you'll put the lid back on tighter than you used to, and once again, the blasted thing won't open.

I seriously LOL'd at this!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Women underestimate their strength all the time. They use 2 pound dumbbells, then take sips from a 32 oz water bottle. :laugh:

Ha! In the NROLFW book, Shuler even mentions this. I don't have it in front of me, and I don't remember the exact number - it's on my wife's Kindle at home - but with regards to how much weight to start with, he says the following. For women, take what you think you can do and add 20-25%. For men, take what you think you can do and subtract 20-25%. So true.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I've noticed some comments on success stories about people thinking that the poster should start lifting heavy and all that after they've lost weight. I understand that if you want to tone up or build muscle. But if you do have a low body fat percentage already, what's so wrong with just looking slim? Especially for women?

Can anyone give me some sort of data of the importance of lifting? (Aside from muscle needing more calories than fat for maintenance) Or is it just a personal appearance thing?

I feel that a lot of these suggestions are what has worked for whoever posted it? I disagree with just "lifting" per se. No one needs to lift weights, however I believe in resistance training. Whether someone is doing lat pull downs vs. pull ups (to each his own). Although I do believe the single greatest lift any person can do is the barbell squat.

Theres all sorts things one can do to make their muscles more dense to change their appearance from body weight exercises, resistance bands, kettle bell swings etc. I believe the goal is muscular hypertrophy and theres more than 1 way to succeed at that. My 2 cents.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

You will get some benefit from doing body weight resistance, but it's not the same and you'd have to do a LOT of it to get the same results. I did body weight resistance for 13 months, and I did increase my fitness because I was doing nothing before that. But in 3 weeks of lifting, I am starting to see results that I didn't get in 13 months of body weight resistance.

^^ This right here is a great example of why people should change up their routines. I have seen other threads where many people argue that you can keep doing the same routine all the time and always continue to make progress.

We have to ask ourselves what our goal is. If I want to do 40 pull ups, I am not going to run 40 miles a week and expect my pull ups to increase. Sure, ill probably lose some weight, and be able to do a few more pull ups by that a lone, but the point is if I have a specific goal in mind, thats what I need to train for because different workouts change and prepare our bodies for different things. Okay, there is 4 cents on this thread.
  • frankyk89
    frankyk89 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    bump - love this!
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Great thread. Aside from the numerous health benefits that have already been discussed (many I didn't really know about) and the fact that it makes you look amazing, it feels GOOD.

It really does. I've been going steady for about 6 weeks now after a long break, and I can't tell you how damned good I feel. When I walk, when I move, I feel every muscle in my body. I think I am walking with more power - maybe strutting a little. I have crazy energy, I sleep like a beast, and I eat everything that's not nailed down.

Mentally, the knowledge that I know for a fact I am stronger than I was mid-January is fantastic. I have to up my weights every so often or find something new, and I almost accidentally flung two big frozen chickens across the Safeway the other week. (ooops)

And I'm getting very ready for tank top weather.

Really, I can't think of any reason not to incorporate weights.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I am a recovering cardio junkie. I started lifting about 2 weeks ago (stronglifts 5x5) and I love it. I still run, just not as much. I wish I could lift every day, that's how much I love it. :heart:
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Great thread for advice on here.

I've read the best place to start is starting strength, NROLFW or the likes however i'm worried I will injure myself in the process...will such books give me a good enough grounding to get into lifting? I feel like i should be getting help from a trainer or something to use the machines at the gym, i havent done this before..
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else, but I wont ever stop lifting weights now that I have done it. I can carry my son around without feeling like my arms are going to fall off. Who wouldn't wanna be stronger?
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Skinny girls look good in clothes.
    Toned girls, look good naked and in clothes.

FACT!

I know which one I chose :tongue: :love: