General Comment About People Who Don't Lift

Options

Replies

• crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Everything that's already been said, plus why WOULDN'T you want to be stronger? I'm really looking forward to the day when I don't have to ask the guys I work with to move something heavy for me.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Don't want to, then don't do it. But, there are lots of great reasons why.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Good general muscle tone helps with the involuntary muscles. So, it helps keep all your private parts where they need to be, assists during labor and delivery, and helps you hold your pee after you've had a baby/gotten old.
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with just wanting to be thin. I thought that's what I wanted initially, and while I looked good in clothes - it was a different story when I was out of them.

To the person who said they prefer a dancer's body, there basically the same body type a a female lifter, just more flexible.

Example Misty Copeland, very famous ballet dancer:

misty-copeland100.jpg?w=449&h=396

She looks amazing!! And I bet she can lift a ton!!
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Not that I'm in immediate danger of either, but I'd rather have a dancer's body than a lifter's body.

What is your image of a weight lifters body?

cea5785d52.jpg
    This is Kellie Epperheimer, a dancer who lifts

misty-copeland100.jpg
    This is Misty Copeland - can you tell if she is a dancer or a lifter?
  • bananapancakebella
    Options
    As to the dancer's bodies:
    my brother's girlfriend is a principle dancer with the new york city ballet.
    girl lifts heavy weights in the gym. they make her a better dancer.
  • kwilliams386
    kwilliams386 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It's more important for women. Osteoporosis is the big reason. If you are elderly and you fall and break a hip, you are probably done. Bones are cruel to women, and lifting is what saves us.

Also, then you can open your own jar of pickles. ;)

Very true!

Plus, as a single woman, I have to open/move/lift/carry a lot of stuff on my own.. weight lifting makes it a bit easier!
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I love lifting myself. There has been so much research in support of weight bearing exercise. If you aren't into exercise or weight training you can add weight bearing activities into your day. A lady at work is 62 and has no plans of retiring until she has too. Not because she needs money, her husband and her are comfortable in that way. But because she wants to stay active and doesn't like 'exercising' . We lift and move a lot at work. So she keeps working in a ****ty factory for the social, mental and exercise benifits lol
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm 41. I strength train for my bones.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Not that I'm in immediate danger of either, but I'd rather have a dancer's body than a lifter's body.

cea5785d52.jpg

misty-copeland100.jpg

These girls look hot ! I bet they eat too ;)
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

My son is a ballet dancer with a great body. He does bodyweight exercises all day long, as most dancers do, both the guys and girls. In his free time, away from dancing, he lifts weights. Female dancers do that too, believe it or not....
  • Lupercalia
    Options

cea5785d52.jpg

misty-copeland100.jpg

These girls look hot ! I bet they eat too ;)

Yeah, they eat lots of food--they're dancing all day. If they don't eat right, they bonk. xx
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I think adding lifting to a general wellness program is beneficial. A lot of the time on these boards it seems like an either/or situation, which isn't the case.

There used to be general health guidelines in regards to strength, endurance and flexibility. Many people just focus on part of it.
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    As for a female bodybuilders, I know a woman who has won championships and she doesn't look the least bit 'bulky'. She looks very feminine.
  • Lupercalia
    Options
    I am also 41 and strength train because I love it, and I love being strong. I also love how it makes my body look.

Besides that, I find it also helps balance out my hormones, increases bone density (I don't want osteoporosis), reduces aches and pains that come with age, and my brain likes it. I find it to be a very positive, goal oriented pursuit.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    no sense in being a skinny weakling.... when you are elderly not suffering from osteoporosis you will appreciate lifting weight

I do regular strength training, I rarely lift and when I do it's not "heavy". And, while I am not yet elderly, I am a woman who will soon be 52 yo and I have suffered no bone loss. I am not weak (or skinny). You need resistance to build/maintain strength and maintain bone density. Lifting weights is but one way to provide that resistance.
  • himilayaneyes
    himilayaneyes Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Strength training helps prevent osteoporosis. It also helps with balance and strength...so you won't break a hip when you're elderly. Broken hips can lead to fatal consequences.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Benefits of resistance training...

Maintain flexibility while you age
    Maintain lean body mass while you age. People who resistant train generally have a lower lean body mass.
    Maintain bone strenght your chance of osteoporosis decrease
    Body definition
    Better balance
    Shorter recovery time if you fall
    Better form and posture in day to day life
    Increased metabolism
    Ability to open olive jars!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Here is a story of a power lifter. She eats 3000-4000 calories and benches most than most guys. She doesn't look bulky IMO.
  • gr8pillock
    gr8pillock Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    See, Strength Training I am 100% behind and have been doing the whole time I was losing weight. I just recently (literally on Thursday) asked my trainer to start making me do weighted squats because I want a butt.

The thing I often see on threads that gets me is the push of 'lifting heavy' which is what I thought this thread was referring to. I don't think you NEED to lift heavy, but strength training is truly beneficial if you want to maintain the weight loss you achieve.