General Comment About People Who Don't Lift

Options

Replies

• strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    also is there no point in me doing weights untill i have lost most of the weight am wanting to lose? :)

That is false.

+1 on this one.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    It's more important for women. Osteoporosis is the big reason. If you are elderly and you fall and break a hip, you are probably done. Bones are cruel to women, and lifting is what saves us.

Also, then you can open your own jar of pickles. ;)
    THIS. Study after study shows that elderly people who strength train have stronger bones and also have less chances of falling.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Importance of lifting (specifically for women)

:)

Every single one of the points you listed applies for men, though it's not as common to hear a dude saying he wants to be toned, the general look many are going for is more easily achieved with the addition of resistance training.
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Here is some food for thought. There are women who say, "I don't want to get too bulky." First of all, you need a lot of testosterone to get big. You just don't have that unless you go in a different route. And that is not included in most exercise routines. But maybe you have seen some girls that to you are "too bulky." I get that.

Now the guy version of this would be guys who say, I don't want to get too big. Ok, here is the problem with both of these beliefs. To get significant muscle, you need a calorie surplus and hypertrophy. Once you reach desired look, you need to stay at maintenance. You won't grow much more after that.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I work two very physical jobs where lifting and carrying heavy objects is a requirement. I work in the automotive industry and I work as a tree crew ground worker. Both require strength and indurance which I have. I can easilly carry 100 plus pounds and I can yeild a chain saw for 8 hours a day ( along with other equipment). I am 149lbs with a body fat percent of 19. I don't lift heavily and I am still getting the results I want as far as appearance and strength. Most women I have seen who lift heavy look too "bulky" for my taste. I will say that my idea of bulky is probably different tan most so telling me women don't get bulky won't do any good because what I see as bulky might be a little different.

I don't think lifting is a must and frankly I am tired of it being shoved down my throat.

You ARE lifting heavy. Most women are not doing anything that physical for their job.

I get that and I would equate it with heavy lifting. I mean I am stronger than some of the men I work with. I guess I have just ran into people who think if you are not in a gym or on a "lifting progam" it doesn't count. Maybe that isn't all lifters.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've noticed some comments on success stories about people thinking that the poster should start lifting heavy and all that after they've lost weight. I understand that if you want to tone up or build muscle. But if you do have a low body fat percentage already, what's so wrong with just looking slim? Especially for women?

Another thing to consider... I look a lot slimmer - at the same weight or more - from lifting. And I'm not alone.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/884447-do-you-lift-heavy-are-you-bulky

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/535512-real-mfp-women-weight-training-befores-and-afters

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/812464-show-me-ur-heavy-lifting-results-please
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Also, then you can open your own jar of pickles. ;)

That's a damned lie. Sure, you open them fine the first time, but it's a double edged sword, you'll put the lid back on tighter than you used to, and once again, the blasted thing won't open.

:laugh:

Plus the day after deadlifts, you can't grip the bugger anyway.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Actually, as someone that lifts, I'm going to say "no". Everyone does not need to lift, it is however the single most efficient way to develop strength and muscle. But it depends on fitness and esthetic goals and personal enjoyment.

You should do what you can stick to first and foremost.

If you want an effective and efficient program that helps in almost all sport or will help in weight loss or specific esthetics then yes, lift.

And cardiovascular fitness has its place - it should not be an argument of either/or but kickin' *kitten*.

THIS!!! ^^

I sometimes lift weights, but I don't enjoy it so know I won't stick with it. I get most of my strength training from things I enjoy more (or perhaps I should say "dislike less") like body weight exercises and resistance bands. I have no desire to look like a weight lifter so my goals from strength training are muscle firmness, strength improvement and maintenance of bone density. All of which I have acheieve with very limited lifting.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I get that and I would equate it with heavy lifting. I mean I am stronger than some of the men I work with. I guess I have just ran into people who think if you are not in a gym or on a "lifting progam" it doesn't count. Maybe that isn't all lifters.

People who try to discount things because they aren't in line with their particular philosophy or paradigm when it comes to personal health and well being are extremely short sighted.

If you're lifting heavy *kitten*, you're strong. Doesn't matter if it's at a gym, in your basement, or on the job.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    if you are happy where you are at, then do you and don't worry with what others say and do. I lift, because I like the results I see.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I think most of the "you need to lift" comments come off sounding worse than they're really ment to since they generally come from someone who looks really buff already and the comments are generally 100% aesthetic oriented rather than about overall fitness. The comments about lifting that explain how it can benefit everyone even if you don't end up 13% body fat with a six pack are way better.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

My boyfriend has huge muscles, from work, he doesn't have to go to a gym. Nobody would tell him he should go to the gym, I can't imagine anybody who saw you would say you should either. Advice here is based on the assumption that most women aren't doing that kind of physical work.
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Not that I'm in immediate danger of either, but I'd rather have a dancer's body than a lifter's body.

I think it's a huge misconception that women will get what people seem to classify as a "lifter's body" just because they lift. I for one lift and love to lift. I do it because I want to look fit. I do it because I want to be strong. I do it because I enjoy it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Random question but does weight lifting effect your breast size? am losing a lot of weight and i am aware that i may lose a couple of sizes but am not too worried as i have more or less been the same bra size at my heaviest and lightest weight, but i know it will help my body if i do a bit of weight training, i just don't want it to effect my breast size to much :laugh:

Depending on how light your lightest was, if you have been the same size at your heaviest and lightest, then you probably will maintain most of your breast size. The amount of fat vs. other tissue is breasts is genetic, but if you've been thin with larger breasts then most likely yours are not all fat. At least that has been my experience (mine don't change much when gaining/losing weight either).

But strength training - weights or other - is a good way to help keep your breasts firm. Firm muscles behind the breast = perkier breasts.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Not that I'm in immediate danger of either, but I'd rather have a dancer's body than a lifter's body.

Dancers are usually just as strong as lifters. They have big, strong muscles too. I think you're imagining a woman who lifts as a body builder. Those are very different things.
  • beckieboomoo
    beckieboomoo Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Random question but does weight lifting effect your breast size? am losing a lot of weight and i am aware that i may lose a couple of sizes but am not too worried as i have more or less been the same bra size at my heaviest and lightest weight, but i know it will help my body if i do a bit of weight training, i just don't want it to effect my breast size to much :laugh:

Depending on how light your lightest was, if you have been the same size at your heaviest and lightest, then you probably will maintain most of your breast size. The amount of fat vs. other tissue is breasts is genetic, but if you've been thin with larger breasts then most likely yours are not all fat. At least that has been my experience (mine don't change much when gaining/losing weight either).

But strength training - weights or other - is a good way to help keep your breasts firm. Firm muscles behind the breast = perkier breasts.

okay thankyou :)
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options

Agree. I've been weight training while losing weight. I went from a 36C to a 34DD. They don't look like DDs to me but they are perkier and appear fuller! I think it's the lose AROUND my breasts that makes them bigger.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I am all for it! I started because I want to be able to get over the 10 foot wall at Rugged Maniac by myself. Now I do it because I freakin love it! I feel so good afterwards.

Oh, and I don't have to ask the Dr I work for to lift things for me. I can do it myself now!
  • beckieboomoo
    beckieboomoo Posts: 590 Member
    Options

Agree. I've been weight training while losing weight. I went from a 36C to a 34DD. They don't look like DDs to me but they are perkier and appear fuller! I think it's the lose AROUND my breasts that makes them bigger.

cheers :) my breast are a 36 GG but i don't think they look that big :laugh: and the perkier the better! :)
  • ericarae33
    ericarae33 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with just wanting to be thin. I thought that's what I wanted initially, and while I looked good in clothes - it was a different story when I was out of them.

To the person who said they prefer a dancer's body, there basically the same body type a a female lifter, just more flexible.

Example Misty Copeland, very famous ballet dancer:

misty-copeland100.jpg?w=449&h=396

This exactly, my cousin is a dancer and she is very muscular!