General Comment About People Who Don't Lift

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Not that I'm in immediate danger of either, but I'd rather have a dancer's body than a lifter's body.

Aw it's cute you think dancers don't do strength training.

A dancer who lifts, will look different that someone that only lifts.

In what way?
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of issues (arthritis in my left thumb that makes it hard for me to grip--and sometimes hard for me to sleep--and a crushed disc that affects my strength and grip in right arm) so wasn't sure how much lifting I could do. But just consulted yesterday with the personal training manager at my gym and they have a physical therapist who is a trainer who works with designing lifting programs that accommodate differences. I'm looking forward to gaining strength and balance. My balance is already so much better with just the weight I've lost so far. But I know that working on core strength will really help my lower back and I definitely need the help with the abdomen.

I've never seen lifting as something that makes you have any particular body type; that depends on what you lift and how you lift and how you feed yourself, doesn't it? Pretty much every kind of athlete out there does some version of lifting, but each sport has a different body type profile.
  • dngrwmn
    dngrwmn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well Said!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Yes, because the dancer will be concentrating on certain movements, doing things like jumps and toestands hours every day.

But if you think you can't replicate that look with targeted workouts in the gym, you're dead wrong.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'm a dancer and I do strength training.....I've been told I have a dancer's body and a lifter's body, some even say I have a swimmer's body. I just think I have my body. The book New Rules of Lifting for Women that every one is talking about isn't really NEW......I learned those techniques a long time ago, I have been lifting the same way for over a decade!!! And no one is saying that you have to lift like a Body Builder....that kind of lifting is actually not as healthy or beneficial as "normal" strength training. And yes you can lose weight without lifting but you will not be as healthy!
  • KatrinaWilke
    Options
    Not that I'm in immediate danger of either, but I'd rather have a dancer's body than a lifter's body.

Aw it's cute you think dancers don't do strength training.

^^This. As a dancer, we were told not to run. We had weights in one of our studios.......lifting was not forbidden!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    ^^This. As a dancer, we were told not to run. We had weights in one of our studios.......lifting was not forbidden!

Dancing is hard enough on your leg and ankle joints. Running is even harder. Dancing *and* running is a recipe for wrecked knees!

Lifting makes all those joints stronger, too. Lifting helps prevent joint injuries. Haven't people noticed that physical therapy for torn ligaments and tendons invariably includes strength training around the affected joint?
  • mmapags
    Options
    I'm a dancer and I do strength training.....I've been told I have a dancer's body and a lifter's body, some even say I have a swimmer's body. I just think I have my body. The book New Rules of Lifting for Women that every one is talking about isn't really NEW......I learned those techniques a long time ago, I have been lifting the same way for over a decade!!! And no one is saying that you have to lift like a Body Builder....that kind of lifting is actually not as healthy or beneficial as "normal" strength training. And yes you can lose weight without lifting but you will not be as healthy!

What would your thoughts be on the difference between a dancer's and a lifter's body? Any significant differences?
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    commenting because I want to read more later

I don't lift per se but I do pole dance which involves loads of body weight lifting with legs abs and core. and it has made a huge difference to my body and it's loads of fun!
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand why people make it like you have to do one or the other. I do both. I don't see a problem with either, I enjoy both and I feel like I am getting what I need from both sides of it.

Agreed. I do both as well, but I don't lift heavy just what I can manage. If I'm not mistaken, lifting heavy is how you get the "hulk" look. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Yes, because the dancer will be concentrating on certain movements, doing things like jumps and toestands hours every day.

But if you think you can't replicate that look with targeted workouts in the gym, you're dead wrong.

I don't believe I am. You need the stretching and cardio of dancing, along with the strength training to get a dancers body. You need to dance.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand why people make it like you have to do one or the other. I do both. I don't see a problem with either, I enjoy both and I feel like I am getting what I need from both sides of it.

Agreed. I do both as well, but I don't lift heavy just what I can manage. If I'm not mistaken, lifting heavy is how you get the "hulk" look. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

hulk look?? impossible for a woman not on 'roids
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

You're wrong. :smile:

Steroid use is what would give women the hulk look.

This is a 17 time World Champion Powerlifter.

SPwNtEilECsTRrmwcDVtQiQKBJwVVAPFYDAWe.jpg

weik58f.jpg

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/894293-ladies-weight-lifting-will-make-something-bulky
  • KatrinaWilke
    Options

What would your thoughts be on the difference between a dancer's and a lifter's body? Any significant differences?

It depends on what you mean by a "lifter". If you are talking about a normal person who does total body workouts.......they would look very much like a "dancer". Keep in mind some dancers, especially in ballet do not lift and do not have the same muscle definition, but are also very unhealthy! They subside on very unhealthy calorie levels. So if you wanted to look like an emaciated ballerina, you should become anorexic. But if you wanted to look like the healthy, fit modern, contemporary dancer, lifting weights will not hinder that.

But if you are talking about a professional lifter or bodybuilder, no they would not look like dancers. But their strength training is highly specialized and target specific muscles. They are sculpting their bodies and different muscle groups to look like that. But again normal people who do full body strength training and train each muscle group proportionately will not look like the body builders!
  • mmapags
    Options

I don't believe I am. You need the stretching and cardio of dancing, along with the strength training to get a dancers body. You need to dance.

And a lifter and dancer's body would look different how?
  • jonnythan
    Options

Not so. Yes you need cardio, but you don't need to do any dancing at all to look like a dancer. I'm not even sure what "look like a dancer" means anyway. I watch SYTYCD and see all kinds of various body types on there. But you can pick and choose which muscles to work at what intensity and make them certain sizes. I don't know why you would want to look specifically like a dancer and not something else, but you certainly could.

There's no mystery to any of this. Muscles get bigger when fed and worked the right way. You can easily target certain muscles to get certain proportions. This is precisely what bodybuilders do. They tend to avoid high volumes of squats, because quads can get big enough to look disproportionate, for instance. They target the biceps with curls because the human biceps does not normally get enough work from compound lifts.
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Women are not going to get the "Hulk Look" without a lot of supplements and 'roids. It's not in our genetics.
  • mmapags
    Options

It depends on what you mean by a "lifter". If you are talking about a normal person who does total body workouts.......they would look very much like a "dancer". Keep in mind some dancers, especially in ballet do not lift and do not have the same muscle definition, but are also very unhealthy! They subside on very unhealthy calorie levels. So if you wanted to look like an emaciated ballerina, you should become anorexic. But if you wanted to look like the healthy, fit modern, contemporary dancer, lifting weights will not hinder that.

But if you are talking about a professional lifter or bodybuilder, no they would not look like dancers. But their strength training is highly specialized and target specific muscles. They are sculpting their bodies and different muscle groups to look like that. But again normal people who do full body strength training and train each muscle group proportionately will not look like the body builders!

Thanks! Yes, i was refering to the full body strength training that most do and not body building which is a kind of specialized thing. So, from what you are saying, there would be little difference between a dancer's and a lifter's body appearance. That's what I thought but obviously a few here see it differently although they have not yet said what is different.
  • KatrinaWilke
    Options

When I was lifting consistently I could out sqaut most of the guys at the gym. I would always catch them looking at me.........I think it was because they were not expecting me to load all those 45lb plates when I would walk up to the squat rack!! AND I DO NOT LOOK LIKE THE HULK!! I wish I did! People wouldn't mess with me then!!!
  • KatrinaWilke
    Options

Thanks! Yes, i was refering to the full body strength training that most do and not body building which is a kind of specialized thing. So, from what you are saying, there would be little difference between a dancer's and a lifter's body appearance. That's what I thought but obviously a few here see it differently although they have not yet said what is different.

Yes I agree with you!! And most modern dancers lift each other.....so they are doing squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, etc....with various peoples body weights. They are lifting way more weight than most women do at the gym!!!