Options
    Once it rolls over the conversation is over. :P
  • DonnaNCgirl
    Options
    Hurray for that! lol
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Wow, this has been a very strange and argumentative thread.

For my part, I lost over 40 pounds with strictly diet and mild sorts of cardio and walking over the course of about 2 years (yes I very purposefully lost that slowly). I got around goal and went basically to maintenance, but I didn't like my body. Last fall I started in with body weight exercises and this spring I am in the gym lifting weights in the free weights section. Yesterday I pulled out a pair of pants that in this past year I could only button with major tummy tamer and girdle appliances worn. And they buttoned easily and were comfortable to wear all day long without any sort of appliances to hold my gut in. I have actually gained 5 lbs from wear I was when last I wore them and it is a pretty huge difference, but in a good way IYSWIM.

So, if you don't want to lift weights, and you are happy with your body, don't lift them. But for my time and energy, I sure as hell wish I had been around here when I started losing weight to have had more information on this subject.

My 2c, if you have any doubts about your potential level of satisfaction about your body when you get to goal if you are doing it without at least some wort of weight lifting, start now before you have eaten all that muscle away. I lost extremely slowly, well below what most people try to do, and I still lost about 7 lbs of muscle out of that 42 lbs lost total.
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Lifting created the biggest and best changes in my body. I used to do a TON of cardio and barely saw any results. Well, that and I wasn't eating enough. But thats a completely different thread.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

For my part, I lost over 40 pounds with strictly diet and mild sorts of cardio and walking over the course of about 2 years (yes I very purposefully lost that slowly). I got around goal and went basically to maintenance, but I didn't like my body. Last fall I started in with body weight exercises and this spring I am in the gym lifting weights in the free weights section. Yesterday I pulled out a pair of pants that in this past year I could only button with major tummy tamer and girdle appliances worn. And they buttoned easily and were comfortable to wear all day long without any sort of appliances to hold my gut in. I have actually gained 5 lbs from wear I was when last I wore them and it is a pretty huge difference, but in a good way IYSWIM.

So, if you don't want to lift weights, and you are happy with your body, don't lift them. But for my time and energy, I sure as hell wish I had been around here when I started losing weight to have had more information on this subject.

My 2c, if you have any doubts about your potential level of satisfaction about your body when you get to goal if you are doing it without at least some wort of weight lifting, start now before you have eaten all that muscle away. I lost extremely slowly, well below what most people try to do, and I still lost about 7 lbs of muscle out of that 42 lbs lost total.

A most excellent post and example. There is something to be said for weight training being the most direct and efficient route. I think Rtlencar's point was that if someone doesn't enjoy it, they won't do it. So effective and efficient can be 2 different things.

I happen to enjoy weight training somewhat and it is very effective as a means to an end. One thing I thought was very significant about your post is that your overall weight is slightly higher but your body shape is better. I've seen this same story from many women on here. It's counterintuitive but it works. It kind of goes back to the Steve Troutman quote about health, funtionality, performance and physique all being more important than weight and that weight will settle where it should if those things are optimized.
  • erinsueburns
    Options

A most excellent post and example. There is something to be said for weight training being the most direct and efficient route. I think Rtlencar's point was that if someone doesn't enjoy it, they won't do it. So effective and efficient can be 2 different things.

I happen to enjoy weight training somewhat and it is very effective as a means to an end. One thing I thought was very significant about your post is that your overall weight is slightly higher but your body shape is better. I've seen this same story from many women on here. It's counterintuitive but it works. It kind of goes back to the Steve Troutman quote about health, funtionality, performance and physique all being more important than weight and that weight will settle where it should if those things are optimized.

Thank you for responding :) I appreciate it!

And yep, it actually is slightly higher than my lowest weight. Can't say how much of that is from muscle and how much from water weight, because I haven't gone in to the doctor who has that fancy scale I check in on, but the clothes fitting is just so key. And to be really clear, most of that was strictly from body weight training, squats, pushups (I had to start with pushup-as in a single one) and that nerfitness beginner body weight training routine. And I count that as "lifting heavy" because my own body weight was heavy to me at that time. I can do 100 "girl pushups" now! And it is such a change. It has only been since the beginning of this month that I have actually started using real weights in a real gym, I figured I had better be able to lift my own bulk before going crazy. I look forward to further progress :)
  • mmapags
    Options

And yep, it actually is slightly higher than my lowest weight. Can't say how much of that is from muscle and how much from water weight, because I haven't gone in to the doctor who has that fancy scale I check in on, but the clothes fitting is just so key. And to be really clear, most of that was strictly from body weight training, squats, pushups (I had to start with pushup-as in a single one) and that nerfitness beginner body weight training routine. And I count that as "lifting heavy" because my own body weight was heavy to me at that time. I can do 100 "girl pushups" now! And it is such a change. It has only been since the beginning of this month that I have actually started using real weights in a real gym, I figured I had better be able to lift my own bulk before going crazy. I look forward to further progress :)

That's wonderful!! Kudos to you for staying with it and getting it done. You are a wonderful example to others here who are just starting and wondering how they will ever get there. I'm guessing as a woman, unless you've intentionally worked at adding muscle mass, it not much more muscle mass but some sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (increase in water and glycogen in the muscle cells) that's causing the increase in weight. But if clothes look better on you and you like you body shape more, who cares!! lol

Again, great work!! :flowerforyou:
  • erinsueburns
    Options

That's wonderful!! Kudos to you for staying with it and getting it done. You are a wonderful example to others here who are just starting and wondering how they will ever get there. I'm guessing as a woman, unless you've intentionally worked at adding muscle mass, it not much more muscle mass but some sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (increase in water and glycogen in the muscle cells) that's causing the increase in weight. But if clothes look better on you and you like you body shape more, who cares!! lol

Intentionally trying to add muscle, eating at maintenance or so, pushing myself to failure, which as I said, at first was pushup X1 ;) It was also around squats x10, lungesX10 to start. Very low numbers. I was rather embarrassingly weak. I'll be checking in on specifics probably next month. I'm hopeful that over the course of the last several months at least 2lbs of of the 5 is registering as LBM.

Now I can dumbbell deadlift 60 lbs, incline dumbbell bench press 60 lbs, that sort of thing. Not terribly impressive, but pretty big jumps in a relatively short period of time.
  • mmapags
    Options

Intentionally trying to add muscle, eating at maintenance or so, pushing myself to failure, which as I said, at first was pushup X1 ;) It was also around squats x10, lungesX10 to start. Very low numbers. I was rather embarrassingly weak. I'll be checking in on specifics probably next month. I'm hopeful that over the course of the last several months at least 2lbs of of the 5 is registering as LBM.

Now I can dumbbell deadlift 60 lbs, incline dumbbell bench press 60 lbs, that sort of thing. Not terribly impressive, but pretty big jumps in a relatively short period of time.

Challenging yourself and progression are all that matters. My bench number is only 155 1RM and my overhead is only 120. I am much stonger in my lower half where my deadlift is over 300 1 RM and squats are close to it. Getting fitter and progression are what's important. Not what the number says on the barbell or dumbell.
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options

not sure who i am agreeing /disagreeing with here
    i find motivating myself to 'lift' very difficult so i don't do it
    but i do pole dancing 3+ times a week which involves lifting my body weight a lot and supporting body weight with different muscles and for me this has lead to muscle tome and definition because i strength training.
    and now i am loving my new strong fit body and the things i can do with it!