are there any good butt exercise i can do with dumbells?

Options
124»

Replies

• cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

Haha was just gonna suggest that...so good right :tongue:
    omg like I get to lift 3-5 lbs AND get free frilly underwear recommended for squats 'cause I am all over that. Am I just like ever so paranoid about showing my panty line. Well I be able to talk as much as her during the workout? Great. I need enough energy to put down fitness models like she did.

She didn't breathe.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    hi so how many reps should you do ? and how how many types of squats? I wanna get home and start squatting lol !!!!

Also I read that you need to make sure your glutes are activated before you do these exercises, can anyone suggest some and how many you do? thanks !
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    hi so how many reps should you do ? and how how many types of squats? I wanna get home and start squatting lol !!!!

Also I read that you need to make sure your glutes are activated before you do these exercises, can anyone suggest some and how many you do? thanks !
    Now that we have accomplished you should lift heavier then 5lbs...You are getting to the point people will argue with reason :P

I'll throw out a recommendation for the stronglifts 5x5 workout. The info is available for free, and it's great for noobs and explains in detail. You can find the info if you google it, should be the first link. As far as the reps and types. It really depends on how much weight you have. Make sure to take a rest day in between if you're going to be doing them heavy/excessively. With the part of Spartacus with squats I was doing 3x14=42+ squats with light weights (up to 20lbs) plus 9 other exercises done 3 times. I started with 5lb dumbbells but found them to light. I'd hand most people 10lbs but sometimes 7.5s. 7.5s were always to light for everyone so far (there's 9 of us now). With Stronglifts it starts with 5x5=25 squats but works up to a heavier weight and starts with 45lbs. There's usually 3 exercises each workout instead of 10 like Spartacus.
  • michaelalouise3915
    michaelalouise3915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Just to show how much you guys motivated me... It's 3am now and at 1am I left for the gym! I tried 20 kg on barbell to squat with but couldn't manage it, so dropped to ten. Will try 15 after next session :) bed now though.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I dunno.. I was squatting 100 pounds which really isn't very heavy. but then I had to cancel my gym membership.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Squats?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Just to show how much you guys motivated me... It's 3am now and at 1am I left for the gym! I tried 20 kg on barbell to squat with but couldn't manage it, so dropped to ten. Will try 15 after next session :) bed now though.

I'm not sure if you know this, but remember to add the weight of the bar. It weighs 45 pounds, so that is about 20.4 kilograms.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Squats and lunges squats and lunges squats and lunges and then more squats. Great for... everything! :laugh:
  • michaelalouise3915
    Options

I'm not sure if you know this, but remember to add the weight of the bar. It weighs 45 pounds, so that is about 20.4 kilograms.

Ohh good point! I gave it ago anyway :) glad I did.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Ohh good point! I gave it ago anyway :) glad I did.
    So you tried to do a 40.4kg/89lb squat on your first try? Hardcore :P Yeah next time start with just the bar and go up a few lbs every time you go back.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

*Cheers* :flowerforyou:
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Dumbell Deadlifts for the *kitten*
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    If you're in the gym, the large chrome bars with approx. 2" ends that go through approx. 2" holes in weight plates weigh 15-22.5KG.
    The Reebok ones... I've no idea.

They guys at the gym have been lying to you, it's not your fault.

The shops have lied to you. Your dumbbell set probably came in a carry case???

To give you an idea of what you're already capable of;

The fizzy drinks bottles that are 2l. A litre is 1kg, so they're 2kg each. How many of those can you put in carrier bags and make it to the car with?

A child or labrador can easily weigh 30kg, but you can pick one of those up, at an awkward angle, with the load wriggling excitedly.

Your friend that did that running hug thing, where you picked them up (although briefly)? 50-70kg, at speed, with no hand holds.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Oops.

To answer the original question, I like the heavy dumbbell travelling lunge. With as much as you can keep your balance with for about 12 steps at this stage.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    It is only when you start to lift heavier that you see the progress. I had the little weights for years too, but last year I got serious and invested in some heavy equipment.
    I can lift 10 x heavier than I started out with and my favourite possession is my squat rack!
    You have the right attitude and when you try you will be amazed how far you can progress and what you can lift.
  • michaelalouise3915
    Options
    If you're in the gym, the large chrome bars with approx. 2" ends that go through approx. 2" holes in weight plates weigh 15-22.5KG.
    The Reebok ones... I've no idea.

They guys at the gym have been lying to you, it's not your fault.

The shops have lied to you. Your dumbbell set probably came in a carry case???

To give you an idea of what you're already capable of;

The fizzy drinks bottles that are 2l. A litre is 1kg, so they're 2kg each. How many of those can you put in carrier bags and make it to the car with?

A child or labrador can easily weigh 30kg, but you can pick one of those up, at an awkward angle, with the load wriggling excitedly.

Your friend that did that running hug thing, where you picked them up (although briefly)? 50-70kg, at speed, with no hand holds.

Yes they did come in a case, i feel lied too lol. It's mad when you think about it. And come to think of it, with the 3kg I said hurt when I lifted above my head, only 8 hours before had I spent a good 45 minutes restraining a 6ft huge guy on the floor, laid across his legs whilst he got an injection (sounds a lot more barbaric than it was lo!). He was obviously struggling and I think I've hurt my right arm. I'm guessing that's why, not because I'm a weak duckling.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

If it was a 20kg bar that's a huge amount to start with!

I think it's great that you're going ahead and doing it, but I just wanted to say that I found squats one of the hardest exercises to get right. There are so many things to think about. It matters where the bar is on your back, how you're holding yourself, your leg position, your wrist position, etc. and particularly how deep you go (you can lift about twice as much if you don't go so deep, but it won't work your body in the same way).

I'm not saying all that to put you off at all, because I think it's a great exercise! I do think it's worth reading lots about it, watching videos and getting somebody who knows what they're doing to watch you. I found it really helpful to video myself because you can't really see what you're doing. It's important to be safe. As someone else said, even with Stronglifts you're meant to start with light weights and work up. It doesn't matter if the weight is too light, because you'll add weight every workout (3 times a week for squats) if you can and soon be up to a weight that feels challenging!

I always warmed up before doing squats as well. I'd start off on the rowing machine. And then I'd do squats with the empty bar, and gradually build the weight up, rather than jumping in at my work weight.

Good luck and have fun!
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

Yes they did come in a case, i feel lied too lol. It's mad when you think about it. And come to think of it, with the 3kg I said hurt when I lifted above my head, only 8 hours before had I spent a good 45 minutes restraining a 6ft huge guy on the floor, laid across his legs whilst he got an injection (sounds a lot more barbaric than it was lo!). He was obviously struggling and I think I've hurt my right arm. I'm guessing that's why, not because I'm a weak duckling.

I am so glad I no longer am in mental health. I do not miss this at all.