Dr Oz new diet? Anyone doing it

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering when was the last time he did an actual heart surgery.
    Apparently, pimping snake oil and fad diets is far more profitable. If his "miracle cures" worked, Oprah would be skinny - and she's not.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I don't think Dr. Oz says anything that is demonstrably wrong... but you need to have a good head on your shoulders and do some research and thinking to intelligently incorporate his advice into your plan.

If his diet says or implies it will reduce belly fat, that's demonsrably wrong.

How so? If you lose weight, you will probably be losing belly fat. Did he say "it will reduce belly fat without affecting fat anywhere else on your body?"

I'm running a calorie deficit. I'm losing belly fat. I'm also losing leg fat, arm fat, etc.

I believe you know of a good and obvious refutation to this, so let's just pretend took the time to type it.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    The first time I ever heard of Dr. Oz was when he was promoting the Duken Diet. I started the diet and had amazing results. I contribute the majority of my weight loss to that diet plan. I have tweaked it a little to make it fit me and my lifestyle or needs more but it still is producing results. Of course, you must exercise to help achieve your goals.

ETA: I don't watch Dr. Oz, nor do I pay attention to all the diets or pills he promotes, I just happen to see the one I use in Women's World magazine, where they were interviewing him about his show on the diet.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    The first time I ever heard of Dr. Oz was when he was promoting the Duken Diet. I started the diet and had amazing results. I contribute the majority of my weight loss to that diet plan. I have tweaked it a little to make it fit me and my lifestyle or needs more but it still is producing results. Of course, you must exercise to help achieve your goals.

ETA: I don't watch Dr. Oz, nor do I pay attention to all the diets or pills he promotes, I just happen to see the one I use in Women's World magazine, where they were interviewing him about his show on the diet.

Must need to put my glasses on...I totally read this as the "Drunken Diet," and wondered how I managed to miss THAT one.

Nevermind, LOL...
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/dr-oz-flat-belly-plan
    1. Shrink Fat Cells
    A recent study found that those who ate three yogurts a day while dieting lost 81% more belly fat than people who didn't eat yogurt. All study participants were directed to eat 500 calories less per day. As part of the Flat Belly Plan, you should eat about 6 ounces of low-fat Greek yogurt before every meal. Why? It's thought that calcium can help stop fat from entering your cells, improve your body’s ability to break down fat and help your body carry out fat through your bowel movements.

2. Shed Excess Pounds With MUFAs
    MUFAs, or monounsaturated fatty acids, are the cornerstone of the Flat Belly Plan. These are plant-based fats, so the easiest way to remember them is to look for healthy fats that aren’t from animal sources, such as avocados, nuts, seeds, oils and olives. A study done through the American Diabetic Association found that a diet rich in MUFAs worked to reduce belly fat.

As part of the Flat Belly Plan, you need to eat three MUFA meals a day.

The foundation of any MUFA meal has:
    3 ounces lean protein
    1 complex carb
    Unlimited vegetables
    1 MUFA
    Each meal should be 350 calories (or fewer)
    Click here to print the MUFA Meals One-Sheet.

3. Reduce Inflammation
    The next part of the plan aims to reduce inflammation. Belly fat has been linked to inflammation and elevated cortisol (the stress hormone). Belly fat is even thought to be "toxic" to your system as it releases chemicals into your body that wreak havoc on your appetite and the way your body metabolizes food. That's why anti-inflammatory foods are thought to be effective in fighting belly fat and breaking the vicious cycle.

As part of the Flat Belly Plan, have an anti-inflammatory snack in the afternoon. Snacks should be rich in flavonoids, which are powerful antioxidants that help curb inflammation. They're the natural compounds that give berries and other fruits their vibrant color. Try a sliced yellow bell pepper with hummus or a bowl of mixed berries drizzled with dark chocolate. Click here for more anti-inflammatory food suggestions.

4. Beat Bloat
    Drink ginger iced tea with mint and lemon to reduce bloat! Ginger naturally aids digestion, mint helps to reduce gas, and lemon juice is rich in antioxidants. Follow the recipe below and sip on this Flat Belly Tea all day long:

Ingredients
    3 bags of ginger tea
    1 cup fresh mint, chopped
    Juice of 1 lemon
    2 cups of water
    2 cups of ice

Directions
    In a large pitcher (about 24 ounces), steep the ginger bags and chopped mint for 5-10 minutes. Strain mixture to remove bags and leaves. Add lemon juice. Stir and serve. Store in refrigerator, serve chilled and sip.

For a week's worth of MUFA meals, click to the next page!

It doesn't sound too bad to me. He just does something new everyday so it's easy to write him off as a wackjob.

Link to the study he is referring too.
    http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/30/7/1717.full.pdf

Edit:
    Added a link to the free version of the study.

This looks like the Flat Belly Diet. This was written by someone who writes for Prevention magazine. I bought the book about 2 years ago. It probably cost around $8-$10 at Target. I never did it, but you can do a search on the forum and the groups for Flat Belly Diet. That's how I found out if it worked for others. I can't remember why I didn't give it a try. I think it was the menu for the first week. Good luck to you!
  • Fat2FitQueen
    Fat2FitQueen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Following anything that Oz says these days is like saying licking windows burns 1000 calories per hour
    133195988076620_animate.gif
    omg lmfao
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Here's the full free PDF version of the study Dr. Oz is referring too. Just found it.

Thanks for the link.

From this paper, the high carbohydrate diet shifted fat from the legs to the trunk. In the high MUFA diet, the opposite was seen. There was no increase in overall fat loss in either case - just a redistribution.

As a prediabetic myself, the high MUFA diet looks interesting, as the area under the curve for postprandial glucose levels was lower. But for an average, healthy person looking to lose weight, merely have a slight redistribution of fat hardly seems a huge benefit. Yes, you might lose some belly fat, but you are going to gain thigh fat.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Here's the full free PDF version of the study Dr. Oz is referring too. Just found it.

Thanks for the link.

From this paper, the high carbohydrate diet shifted fat from the legs to the trunk. In the high MUFA diet, the opposite was seen. There was no increase in overall fat loss in either case - just a redistribution.

As a prediabetic myself, the high MUFA diet looks interesting, as the area under the curve for postprandial glucose levels was lower. But for an average, healthy person looking to lose weight, merely have a slight redistribution of fat hardly seems a huge benefit. Yes, you might lose some belly fat, but you are going to gain thigh fat.

Thanks for the summary. I didn't feel like reading it.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    All you guys think you're so much better than Dr. Oz? WELL GUESS WHAT, YOU'RE NOT! He's a doctor, and he has his own TV show. You just post on the internet thinking you know everything. I trust Dr. Oz way more than you muscleheads.

Honey Boo Boo and Snooki also have their own TV shows, your point is null and void
    I don't know who they are. Are they also doctors? What time are they on?
    They are on after your bedtime.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    All you guys think you're so much better than Dr. Oz? WELL GUESS WHAT, YOU'RE NOT! He's a doctor, and he has his own TV show. You just post on the internet thinking you know everything. I trust Dr. Oz way more than you muscleheads.

Honey Boo Boo and Snooki also have their own TV shows, your point is null and void
    I don't know who they are. Are they also doctors? What time are they on?
    They are on after your bedtime.
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !

Good one. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I agree!!! Makes me a little scared to ask ANY questions in here...especially if everyone is going to make you feel like an idiot for asking!!!
    In any conversations, including speaking in person, over a phone, with text, or online, as a general rule the quality of responses tends to vary based on the original question. A good recommendation would be to research before hand and properly formulate a question so that you would get the quality of answers you seek. This is pretty well known so I wouldn't be surprised if there was some old adage that said it much more efficiently than I just did.
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I agree that dr oz has some new diet every week. I was just asking to see. I think eat right exercise and drink water. You will lose.
  • RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering when was the last time he did an actual heart surgery.
    Apparently, pimping snake oil and fad diets is far more profitable. If his "miracle cures" worked, Oprah would be skinny - and she's not.

Good point, lol!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Agreed! The OP asked a question and has been barraged with sarcasm, rudeness and ugliness. I hope she isn't new here, or she will assume that everyone on this site is a harsh, judgmental bully. I've been a member a long time and even I have a hard time believing some of the horrid responses.

:laugh:

Wow! That was an ironic comment. Rude and ugly, eh? Just wow.
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Sorry I even asked!,,,
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Sorry I even asked!,,,

I don't think you should be sorry. But you can see, most people think he's pushing the latest fads and he loses credibility when he does this week in and week out.
  • RavenMoon528
    Options
    Thank You!!!!
  • RavenMoon528
    Options
    Pretty Strong Words from Behind a Keyboard, there Tex!! (Kittie lea) Like to see ya try it!! Ya know, I made One Post on here and what do I get??? I get threats, put-downs, mocked, and Zero Support. The Reason I have Chosen to keep my Profile Private! Self-Righteous, Rude, and Mean Spirited People. We are all in the Same FAT Boat here!
    And when I said I changed my Foods Drastically...I was on a diet of Pizza, chocolate, and anything Fast Food! And the only reason I wrote that i changed my food is that the Green Coffee Bean Diet says you Don't have to change a thing. I can't imagine that people who have the same Life-Long Struggle could be so Smug! Thanks to the FEW who actually tried to have something positive to say. SO Yes, I have been and will continue to take my Supplements....Because They Work For Me!!!! 24 lbs down and 19.5 total Inches Lost without one drop of exercise! Won't make the same mistake of asking You People for any Diet Advise! Bunch of Bully's! SMH!!!!
  • RavenMoon528
    Options
    TOTALLY and the OP was ME!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Pretty Strong Words from Behind a Keyboard, there Tex!! (Kittie lea) Like to see ya try it!! Ya know, I made One Post on here and what do I get??? I get threats, put-downs, mocked, and Zero Support. The Reason I have Chosen to keep my Profile Private! Self-Righteous, Rude, and Mean Spirited People. We are all in the Same FAT Boat here!
    #1...I'm sure the "Threats" you refer to are simply sarcasm...look it up, because if you take it with a grain of salt, its actually pretty funny most of the time.

The truth is, the majority of people here are simply trying to tell you that "the latest Dr. Oz Diet" is usually some ridiculous quick-loss scam that doesn't really work...and THAT is why people aren't jumping on the 'quick fix bandwagon'

....and for the record, NO...we're not all in the "FAT boat"...a lot of people here have lost a lot of weight, are maintaining for a long time, or are here for the fitness side (some are even trying to gain). There are actually a lot of very knowledgable people here if you're willing to listed to advice and not take things so personally.....

Everytime someone here doesn't get the response they're hoping for, they start whining about how 'mean' everybody is....