Dr Oz new diet? Anyone doing it

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Pretty Strong Words from Behind a Keyboard, there Tex!! (Kittie lea) Like to see ya try it!! Ya know, I made One Post on here and what do I get??? I get threats, put-downs, mocked, and Zero Support. The Reason I have Chosen to keep my Profile Private! Self-Righteous, Rude, and Mean Spirited People. We are all in the Same FAT Boat here!
    And when I said I changed my Foods Drastically...I was on a diet of Pizza, chocolate, and anything Fast Food! And the only reason I wrote that i changed my food is that the Green Coffee Bean Diet says you Don't have to change a thing. I can't imagine that people who have the same Life-Long Struggle could be so Smug! Thanks to the FEW who actually tried to have something positive to say. SO Yes, I have been and will continue to take my Supplements....Because They Work For Me!!!! 24 lbs down and 19.5 total Inches Lost without one drop of exercise! Won't make the same mistake of asking You People for any Diet Advise! Bunch of Bully's! SMH!!!!

The "fat boat"?

I didn't realize MFP was specifically a site for fat people. Who knew? They should put something about that on the home page. On top of that, it appears that MFP is a site for fat people looking for shortcuts and excuses instead of practical knowledge.

I think I'm in the wrong place.
  • BaysiderNY
    BaysiderNY Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    As far as I know Dr. Oz is a practicing doctor. My husband went to his office once. And no not every doctor is a certified nutritionist. That's the biggest misconception I've read here. Just because you are a Cardiologist doesn't mean you can give the best advice regarding food. It does not work like that. You specialize in heart related issues.. every little thing in it. But if you are looking to lose weight and need help with food, a good cardiologist will send you to a nutritionist.
  • FitN50s
    FitN50s Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Pretty Strong Words from Behind a Keyboard, there Tex!! (Kittie lea) Like to see ya try it!! Ya know, I made One Post on here and what do I get??? I get threats, put-downs, mocked, and Zero Support. The Reason I have Chosen to keep my Profile Private! Self-Righteous, Rude, and Mean Spirited People. We are all in the Same FAT Boat here!
    #1...I'm sure the "Threats" you refer to are simply sarcasm...look it up, because if you take it with a grain of salt, its actually pretty funny most of the time.

The truth is, the majority of people here are simply trying to tell you that "the latest Dr. Oz Diet" is usually some ridiculous quick-loss scam that doesn't really work...and THAT is why people aren't jumping on the 'quick fix bandwagon'

....and for the record, NO...we're not all in the "FAT boat"...a lot of people here have lost a lot of weight, are maintaining for a long time, or are here for the fitness side (some are even trying to gain). There are actually a lot of very knowledgable people here if you're willing to listed to advice and not take things so personally.....

Everytime someone here doesn't get the response they're hoping for, they start whining about how 'mean' everybody is....

I think the threat was not so much sarcastic as it was smug and rude. Just because KittiLea, and the others who thought her idea was so amusing and appropriate, may not face the same struggles as others on here doesn't give them the right to behave that way. Our society has degenerated in a lot of ways, but threats of bodily harm are still not acceptable.

This is supposed to be a place of support and education. Not threats, sarcasm, rudeness, mockery and humiliation.

I doubt that most of the people who have been posting against Dr. Oz have ever even watched his show. They see his face pop up on all sorts of advertisements and assume he is actually endorsing all of those products. That isn't the case at all, and he is actively working with his lawyers and the legal system to force those who are using his likeness to stop. He does introduce products and ideas on his show, but he also provides caveats and explanations.

Besides, the OP wasn't asking anyone's opinion of Dr. Oz himself. She asked if anyone had heard of that diet and what their thoughts were on IT. Very few responders actually took the time to find out what the diet was about and provide any helpful advice. She was even chastised for not doing her research before asking the question, when asking the question was the way she was beginning her research!! She wasn't putting the diet out there and saying "wow, this is the diet to end them all and I think it's just awesome". She asked for others experience and advice. That is most certainly not what she received from the majority of the people who answered her.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    No one automatically deserves coddling and support and patience from the world. If you expend no effort researching something and ask a stupid question, and you get sarcastic or dismissive answers, then you should take your lumps. The world doesn't owe you handholding, and no one is obligated to spoon feed you.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    He's still a practicing surgeon.

He ain't practicing on me!

And "No"*

*Used with permission
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I think everyone scared the op off before she had a chance to tell us the diet. It could have been legit.

:laugh:
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    droz_zpsb4da2921.gif

OMG I adore this.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    The problem with Dr. Oz is that he does something new every single day so it can be confusing to the viewer but that doesn't mean his advice doesn't work.

It is just like anyone who sells something...you have to keep things fresh to keep interest and money coming in. Not that Dr. Oz doens't help people, but one just need to look at fitness trends (callesthenics, to aerobics, to step aerobics, to Tae Bo, to Zumba, Brazilian Butt lift, to P90X, to Insanity, to Crossfit, etc). There always has to be some "new and exciting' remoake of exactly the same thing to keep selling stuff - eat less overall, eat stuff that is more healthy, sit less and move more.

If ANY of those mentioned programs are what motivates you, then do it!
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    droz_zpsb4da2921.gif

Love this
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lumlg3iIMK1qzozj1.gif
  • kayla7jackson
    Options
    no___just_no_by_innocentmarina-d4paj5d.gif

This is funny!
  • mbouf94
    mbouf94 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/dr-oz-flat-belly-plan
    1. Shrink Fat Cells
    A recent study found that those who ate three yogurts a day while dieting lost 81% more belly fat than people who didn't eat yogurt. All study participants were directed to eat 500 calories less per day. As part of the Flat Belly Plan, you should eat about 6 ounces of low-fat Greek yogurt before every meal. Why? It's thought that calcium can help stop fat from entering your cells, improve your body’s ability to break down fat and help your body carry out fat through your bowel movements.

2. Shed Excess Pounds With MUFAs
    MUFAs, or monounsaturated fatty acids, are the cornerstone of the Flat Belly Plan. These are plant-based fats, so the easiest way to remember them is to look for healthy fats that aren’t from animal sources, such as avocados, nuts, seeds, oils and olives. A study done through the American Diabetic Association found that a diet rich in MUFAs worked to reduce belly fat.

As part of the Flat Belly Plan, you need to eat three MUFA meals a day.

The foundation of any MUFA meal has:
    3 ounces lean protein
    1 complex carb
    Unlimited vegetables
    1 MUFA
    Each meal should be 350 calories (or fewer)
    Click here to print the MUFA Meals One-Sheet.

3. Reduce Inflammation
    The next part of the plan aims to reduce inflammation. Belly fat has been linked to inflammation and elevated cortisol (the stress hormone). Belly fat is even thought to be "toxic" to your system as it releases chemicals into your body that wreak havoc on your appetite and the way your body metabolizes food. That's why anti-inflammatory foods are thought to be effective in fighting belly fat and breaking the vicious cycle.

As part of the Flat Belly Plan, have an anti-inflammatory snack in the afternoon. Snacks should be rich in flavonoids, which are powerful antioxidants that help curb inflammation. They're the natural compounds that give berries and other fruits their vibrant color. Try a sliced yellow bell pepper with hummus or a bowl of mixed berries drizzled with dark chocolate. Click here for more anti-inflammatory food suggestions.

4. Beat Bloat
    Drink ginger iced tea with mint and lemon to reduce bloat! Ginger naturally aids digestion, mint helps to reduce gas, and lemon juice is rich in antioxidants. Follow the recipe below and sip on this Flat Belly Tea all day long:

Ingredients
    3 bags of ginger tea
    1 cup fresh mint, chopped
    Juice of 1 lemon
    2 cups of water
    2 cups of ice

Directions
    In a large pitcher (about 24 ounces), steep the ginger bags and chopped mint for 5-10 minutes. Strain mixture to remove bags and leaves. Add lemon juice. Stir and serve. Store in refrigerator, serve chilled and sip.

For a week's worth of MUFA meals, click to the next page!

It doesn't sound too bad to me. He just does something new everyday so it's easy to write him off as a wackjob.

Link to the study he is referring too.
    http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/30/7/1717.full.pdf

Edit:
    Added a link to the free version of the study.

This is actually legit sounding but NOTHING NEW. I watch Dr. Oz whenever I am actually home to catch it, and I have learned some interesting things, or learned about interesting foods from other cultures but I don't think there's anything I've actually bought or used from the show. Some stuff is a little ridiculous sounding but the above plan actually sounds pretty smart.
  • FitN50s
    FitN50s Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    No one automatically deserves coddling and support and patience from the world. If you expend no effort researching something and ask a stupid question, and you get sarcastic or dismissive answers, then you should take your lumps. The world doesn't owe you handholding, and no one is obligated to spoon feed you.

It's exactly that kind of attitude that I am talking about. Did it even occur to you that not everyone is on the same level? Maybe some people are doing the best they can by just being here and trying to ask a question. Maybe she wasn't being lazy or asking for handholding. She might not have a clue how to go about doing the research. This site and these forums may be the first time she has ever ventured in the fitness and nutrition arena.

Maybe the next time all of you see a baby taking their first wobbly, unsure little steps you should just walk up and smack them in the back of the head for not being able to run like you can.
  • jonnythan
    Options

It's exactly that kind of attitude that I am talking about. Did it even occur to you that not everyone is on the same level? Maybe some people are doing the best they can by just being here and trying to ask a question. Maybe she wasn't being lazy or asking for handholding. She might not have a clue how to go about doing the research. This site and these forums may be the first time she has ever ventured in the fitness and nutrition arena.

Maybe the next time all of you see a baby taking their first wobbly, unsure little steps you should just walk up and smack them in the back of the head for not being able to run like you can.

If you notice, I actually had the first response in this thread. And it was probably the single best, most helpful response:

"You lose belly fat by running a calorie deficit. There are no magic foods and no magic diets. You need to quit thinking in terms of diets and start thinking in terms of calories and nutrients."

We're all adults here. No one needs an "oh baby it's OK, there there." This site is full of posts and stickies and threads that are helpful. The OP has over 700 posts here.

If you're an adult, and spend enough time on this site to amass over 750 posts, and then start a thread asking about some unspecified new magic diet, you should not be surprised or offended if people have a bit of a laugh about the magic diet.
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Dear OP

If his new diet will lead to a lifelong lifestyle change then I say go for it!

Because that should be the objective sustainable Healthy eating and regular exercise. I believe 90% of what he says will work to loose 20 pounds but what how do you keep it off? How much greek yogurt can a person eat? Fad diets will not help you learn healthy habits for a healthy life, All this is in my opinion.

Sincerely,
    Former Fad diet follower.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

That last part made me laugh.

You do make a point. The truth is that the forums can be a bit harsh at times. Especially when Dr. Oz gets brought up. Many people have started off just where she is and gotten the same treatment. The best I can say is to not take it too personally. Most of it is in good fun.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    As far as I know Dr. Oz is a practicing doctor. My husband went to his office once. And no not every doctor is a certified nutritionist. That's the biggest misconception I've read here. Just because you are a Cardiologist doesn't mean you can give the best advice regarding food. It does not work like that. You specialize in heart related issues.. every little thing in it. But if you are looking to lose weight and need help with food, a good cardiologist will send you to a nutritionist.

the ones who would send you to a nutritionist are the bad cardiologists.

the good cardiologists would send you to a dietitian.

http://www.eatrightdc.org/find-a-dietitian/dietitian-vs-nutritionist

i read of one trainer who actually got their pet dog certified as a nutritionist with the state as a way of showing just how easy it was to get that certificate and how it did not require any sort of formal training whatsoever. i just googled trying to find where i saw that, but didn't have any luck. anyway, before trusting any nutritionist's advice, check out their actual background and experience. caveat emptor.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Today's diet? Or yesterday's? Maybe last weeks diet? Or last months 10 diets. He is so confusing. Last time I listened to him was when 2 days apart he was preaching how black beans are a really good carb for those trying to lose weight. 2 days later he had some girl on saying that you should eat potato chips instead of black beans cuz you could be reacting to black beans. I never put his show on again.. Not even to yell at the TV.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

If you notice, I actually had the first response in this thread. And it was probably the single best, most helpful response:

"You lose belly fat by running a calorie deficit. There are no magic foods and no magic diets. You need to quit thinking in terms of diets and start thinking in terms of calories and nutrients."

We're all adults here. No one needs an "oh baby it's OK, there there." This site is full of posts and stickies and threads that are helpful. The OP has over 700 posts here.

If you're an adult, and spend enough time on this site to amass over 750 posts, and then start a thread asking about some unspecified new magic diet, you should not be surprised or offended if people have a bit of a laugh about the magic diet.

well, that ... and how does one not know how to do research with the Internet?
  • mejackiev
    mejackiev Posts: 12
    Options
    Following anything that Oz says these days is like saying licking windows burns 1000 calories per hour
    133195988076620_animate.gif
    LOL oh know you mean it really dosnt burn 1000 calories oh craaap I have to stop it now