Logging 'food preparation?' /rant

Options

Replies

• raynavee
    Options
    I've logged cleaning before. You try breaking down a tree for over an hour at a time. This was not something I do on a daily basis, but occording to your reasoning, " cleaning" isn't exercise. Have you ever been over 300lbs? Do you know how hard it is for some people to do certain activities that you deem as "daily"? No. Why don't you just delete them? If they are losing their weight, what's it to you how they exercise? I don't consider my job, that consists of standing/walking for 8+ hours at a time and lifting 50+ lbs of weight exercise, but another person might log that they walked for 20 minutes. By your logic, this isn't exercise because I do it on a daily basis. Someone that works on a farm bails hay on a daily basis, and yet someone else might find it an exercise to help a friend do the same thing, because their body isn't accustomed to it. Also, I must state that Sedentary means that you take less than 6000 steps a day. It doesn't mean only your work life! That is just an example used by MFP, because most peo ple in the US only get physical activity in at work.

Say what? Breaking down as tree is cleaning?! You have a tree in your house?

I think what the OP (and many many others) have been trying to say is that you got fat when you did cleaning, continuing to do cleaning is not what is going to make you lose weight.

I think some people just need to get real and I, for one, am not going to cheerlead when they are setting themselves up for failure (raynavee - this last bit is not actually directed at you!)

No, but "lawn care" isn't a activity listed in the MFP system and I didn't have an HRM at that time. It wasn't as strenuous as chopping wood and more than light cleaning. But to say that everyone got fat cleaning is wrong. Some people DON'T do daily chores. My point is, just because it's a daily activity for one, doesn't make it a daily activity for another. Some people are so out of shape that ANY activity is an improvement. So, the OP is basically telling all those very unhealthy people that are actually trying to better themselves, that they aren't working hard enough. 2 minutes climbing stairs at 400 pounds is a lot of work! You're only suposed to work at 70-80% Max heart rate. Pushing yourself too hard at that weight can cause heart attacks. Why bash people? If you don't like the way they do things, delete them and don't be a prick about it.
  • rachel4304
    rachel4304 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    "No, but "lawn care" isn't a activity listed in the MFP system and I didn't have an HRM at that time. It wasn't as strenuous as chopping wood and more than light cleaning. But to say that everyone got fat cleaning is wrong. Some people DON'T do daily chores. My point is, just because it's a daily activity for one, doesn't make it a daily activity for another. Some people are so out of shape that ANY activity is an improvement. So, the OP is basically telling all those very unhealthy people that are actually trying to better themselves, that they aren't working hard enough. 2 minutes climbing stairs at 400 pounds is a lot of work! You're only suposed to work at 70-80% Max heart rate. Pushing yourself too hard at that weight can cause heart attacks. Why bash people? If you don't like the way they do things, delete them and don't be a prick about it."

Just FYI, Yard work is listed. I recently helped unload a bunch of wood for our wood stove... And yes, I logged it. Why? because it isn't a normal every day occurrence, got my heart rate up and covered in sweat.
  • briannakaechele
    Options
    Does moving all the furniture out of rooms in my house to prepare for new floors to be installed count?
  • raynavee
    Options
    "No, but "lawn care" isn't a activity listed in the MFP system and I didn't have an HRM at that time. It wasn't as strenuous as chopping wood and more than light cleaning. But to say that everyone got fat cleaning is wrong. Some people DON'T do daily chores. My point is, just because it's a daily activity for one, doesn't make it a daily activity for another. Some people are so out of shape that ANY activity is an improvement. So, the OP is basically telling all those very unhealthy people that are actually trying to better themselves, that they aren't working hard enough. 2 minutes climbing stairs at 400 pounds is a lot of work! You're only suposed to work at 70-80% Max heart rate. Pushing yourself too hard at that weight can cause heart attacks. Why bash people? If you don't like the way they do things, delete them and don't be a prick about it."

Just FYI, Yard work is listed. I recently helped unload a bunch of wood for our wood stove... And yes, I logged it. Why? because it isn't a normal every day occurrence, got my heart rate up and covered in sweat.

It wasn't when I looked. Would have been helpful.
  • onlythetancan
    Options
    Haven't seen that - pretty funny...

Maybe it was something super intense, like butchering a camel.

Or grinding sausage meat by hand.

Or squeezing a tonne of oranges by hand.

Or pulping grapes for wine by stamping on them.

Or kneading a massive amount of dough for one hour.

Or...ok, I'm just getting carried away now. I don't actually think it was any of those things, but it was fun to think about what would be worth logging.

you eat camel?

I would eat camel

I rode a camel once, his name was Charlie Brown
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Who cares? It doesn't hurt anyone. Hell, sometimes I add random things like that just to see what it says, or I do it to be an *kitten*.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't log anything that I would have done when I was getting fatter - it did not stop me from getting fat - so why on earth would it now help me get thin!!

A light shall shine from the heavens on this post. The most brilliantly common sense thing I've ever read.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    There are too many to reply to to pick a specific one to quote, but I guess my point was trying to highlight how some people (yes of course there are cases when people have come out of rehab or really were a lot sedentary before) log these things. It isn't hurting me, but is it helping them? The purpose of this site isn't just to lose weight, but have a healthy lifestyle, and that also means being realistic and having a realistic view upon things.

Maybe it's just me, but cooking dinner (which is something I personally do every day) except for special situations like Xmas, big gatherings and so on, isn't so realistic. People need to be really getting their heart rates up... it may be a bit harsh of a view, but it's important to be aware of what true exercise is (on a general level please, I know there are exceptions)...

I was the one as a child who had to nag my parents for me to be involved in team sports, so don't need people to say I "don't understand" etc etc. I live surrounded by crap food, right next to public transport and am continuously tempted by $10 all you can drink (Japanese are just so light weight but I actually break this budget of theirs), excuses are excuses to me. It's time for people to take control (which is why we are all here!!!) and make an improvement.

Just no more sugar-coating (metaphorically) is what is needed IMO. No more of this 'low fat' or 'last minute' diet BS.. people need to actually exercise (within their limits) and stop being lazy! That's the change I made and I want to see other people do that.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I just saw where someone added cooking dinner to their calorie burned list. :laugh:
  • beatleschic87
    beatleschic87 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Can you log "typing" as excercise? :tongue:
  • beatleschic87
    beatleschic87 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    All the long winded folks need to make sure to log their typing.
    You gotta be burning some cals.

My point exactly
  • Snoopy108
    Snoopy108 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I only log food prep is I am at it for more than two hours and at times it can be most of my day depending on the situation, so yes I log it and I own it and I think its valid.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Does shaving legs count?? :smokin:
  • Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have a baking/pastry class once a week. It's 5 hours, and I'm usually running around the kitchen for about 4 hours of that time. Some of the equipment is really heavy. I might log a few hundred extra calories for that because it's out of the ordinary (100-200), but that's it.
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Who cares? It doesn't hurt anyone. Hell, sometimes I add random things like that just to see what it says, or I do it to be an *kitten*.

:laugh: :drinker:
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Does shaving legs count?? :smokin:

Only if you're shaving other peoples legs in some kind of mad dash record breaking do or die attempt
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm a professional cook. I once wore my step counter thing for 4 hrs and logged 4500 steps.... does that count?
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    depends on what your activity level is--if you're spending 2 hours a day cooking and count yourself as sedentary then I see why you'd log it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Actually, I think it does depend. If someone was truly sedentary...as in they really didn't do much more than sleep, poop, sit, and sleep again, I could see logging meal prep and cleaning. When I first started out, I set myself as sedentary because I have a desk job...I was losing weight way faster than my goal and way faster than I wanted to. I didn't start logging my cooking and cleaning, but I did up my activity level to light active and that did the trick. I easily spend 2-3 hours per day cooking and cleaning and chasing after my toddler and 6 month old.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I don't care what other people log. Only they know what kind of exercise, if any, that they get.
    For me, it depends.... I have several pals who log it but some of them prepare all of their food for the week or log prepping food at a job. I personally only log it if I'm having a party with 100 people coming and I clean my house like a madwoman too..
    But, if I was completely sedentary I'd log it. You all have to remember that some people are morbidly obese and just getting up is exercise for them. I'd rather see them do that than becoming bedridden.
    According to my hrm, standing at the kitchen sink keeps my heart rate at 90-something. Sitting on my *kitten*, it's in the 50's. So, I'd say as long as your'e not sitting, go for it if it encourages you to get up more.