Logging 'food preparation?' /rant

Options
12345679»

Replies

• Caitlinhappymeal
    Caitlinhappymeal Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    There are some on here who will have their activity set to sedentary because of disability, so walking up the stairs for example could be a workout in itself for some.

But you can giggle at this one, I've logged grating fresh horseradish before because it was massive and it took my 20 mins on a micro grater!! I burned something like 70 cals as I was wearing my heartrate monitor!!
  • DonnaBee2013
    Options
    My sister would have to add all these activities you are mocking in order to NOT lose weight and keep herself healthy. She has been battling crippling arthritis and Still's disease since she was 2 1/2 years old. She just came out of surgery last week after having both ankles rebuilt. She already has 2 artificial hips, both of which need to be replaced again within the next month or so. She is a wife and mother of a hyper 4 year old son, and a teenager. Every single thing you do as "a regular daily activity" is a chore for her, takes her twice as long, and gets her heart rate going. All this, and I'm sure she weighs less than the majority of the people who are bashing people on this thread.

My point is, you don't know WHY people are logging things the way they do. To make comments such as "lazy", "fat", "just wants to eat more", etc shows some ugly character traits that you might want to work on.

Saying that you didn't mean "special cases"...is even more of a joke. Every person on this website is unique, and their circumstances are different. Who are you to judge who is "special" and who is not?

If you called my sister a "special case", she'd probably knock you out. lol
  • runningwild00
    Options
    I burn a lot of calories peeling an orange. You guys must be doing something wrong!
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Hey, so as I warned this is a rant... I want your opinions on this.

I have seen people logging food preparation, washing dishes, even 2mins walking up stairs. Is this getting a bit ridiculous? I see those everyday actions as being part of my net personally.

Should I log it every time I use the bathroom? And add extra calories if it's a little more difficult than usual? Like seriously people, be realistic... unless you are doing a strenuous amount of housework I don't see why this should be logged. But do prove me wrong, please, I'd like to giggle at the reasoning.

Cheers,

A grumpy Aussie

Agreed. Your TDEE calculation will already factor in every day activities, even if you put sedentary it assumes you are doing some activity throughout the day (as opposed to just laying in bed for 24 hours). It doesn't bother me that people log this stuff, just know that you may be overestimating calories burned and can slow your weight loss progress.
  • cdgabbert
    cdgabbert Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I can't even explain it other than they are trying to make themselves feel better!! I mean those burned calories should have been calculated in the BMR... I could understand if you over did something in a day ... like did stairs at the Empire State Building... but not the two minutes you spent going up and down steps... Wow - so I can log in my running around office to give the phone to someone? NO - I will log in when I work in shipping area or do heavier cleaning or the cleaning at work, more so I know I did it... burning more calories then I do in a "normal" work day, or did beyond daily cleaning I did - like scrub floors on hands and knees...

I can't make you laugh other than remember they are special people! Just like the ones who eat "fish and chips" and McDonald's and whatever other things those of us who are serious about our efforts... so sit back and read it and say - wow - glad you brushed your teeth today because they must not do it every day!
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I have a dear friend here on MFP who does log housework and food prep. However, she is disabled a bit and that is her exercise. There are times she can take a short walk. She is losing weight slowly. She has a very sweet heart and is one of the most supportive friends I have here on MFP.

Before throwing stones at others for reasons you may not know...you might want to think a bit that their lives may not be so perfect or easy. Single parents with kids working two jobs...another friend of mine.

I would spend more time finding ways to encourage and support those around you. If we all took the time, I am sure we could find ways to needle and nitpick one another apart.

We are human and we all have a story.

"Mercy triumphs over judgement."
  • XxfitforeverxX
    Options
    I usually log whenever I clean the house or something, but what you mentioned is just too much. You burn calories throughout the day in everything you do.
  • DonnaBee2013
    Options
    I can't even explain it other than they are trying to make themselves feel better!! I mean those burned calories should have been calculated in the BMR... I could understand if you over did something in a day ... like did stairs at the Empire State Building... but not the two minutes you spent going up and down steps... Wow - so I can log in my running around office to give the phone to someone? NO - I will log in when I work in shipping area or do heavier cleaning or the cleaning at work, more so I know I did it... burning more calories then I do in a "normal" work day, or did beyond daily cleaning I did - like scrub floors on hands and knees...

I can't make you laugh other than remember they are special people! Just like the ones who eat "fish and chips" and McDonald's and whatever other things those of us who are serious about our efforts... so sit back and read it and say - wow - glad you brushed your teeth today because they must not do it every day!

You sir, have the intellect of a flea.
  • JuliaWomp
    JuliaWomp Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Haven't seen that - pretty funny...

Maybe it was something super intense, like butchering a camel.

Or grinding sausage meat by hand.

Or squeezing a tonne of oranges by hand.

Or pulping grapes for wine by stamping on them.

Or kneading a massive amount of dough for one hour.

Or...ok, I'm just getting carried away now. I don't actually think it was any of those things, but it was fun to think about what would be worth logging.

you eat camel?

BWAHHHAhahahahhaha

Though kneading dough for only TEN MINUTES a day these past couple weeks has actually made a noticeable difference in my arms. But that says more about my wet-noodle arms than it does about kneading dough. ANd I'm certainly not going to log it as exercise, or I'd have an excuse to eat loaves and loaves of warm bread instead of normal pieces ;p
  • ThePinkPenguin
    Options
    I log when I walk my three dogs, and this weekend, my parents are away, so I will get some extra time to walk them. I consider it exercise, especially when I feel like I am nearly dragging them up the street LOL. I think I have heard stuff before about how people with pets get more exercise or something, so even though that's a day to day thing, a 20-minute walk can still be exercise.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Just wow.

I wouldn't think to log it personally but like some people have said here, the people logging might be 90% immobile so any activity is good.

However.... If we are talking someone under 200lbs as a woman then they need to get a grip.