Found money...what would you do?

Options

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I would try to find out who it belonged to and return it. Would do everything in my power to get it back to them........but I would not hand it over arbitrarily where if they don't claim it it goes to the state etc.....
  • amilypic
    Options
    I already know I am not a good person.

Me neither. 11 grand would definitely help my little family out a ridicuous amount.
  • BlackStarDeceiver
    BlackStarDeceiver Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    obligatory hookers and blow comment
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I like to think I would turn it in (and hope the person it belonged to would reward me for that deed!)

I know wishful thinking, I'd probably keep it, I have a kid going to college in a few years!!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely turn it in.
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    If there was any possible way to identify the owners and/or track them down, then yes, I would most definitely turn it in...I still have to live with myself, and I would hope someone would do the same if I was the one to have lost something.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I'd return it. The people were tourists from out of the country, and I'm sure the pictures they took during the trip would mean a great deal to them. If I were in their position, I would want somebody to return my belongings also. I operate under to motto "treat others how you want to be treated".

^^^ This....
    I would try and find the owners...
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Return it. Keeping it is theft and I am not that kind of person.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Who travels with $11,000 for a vacation? Who the hell has $11,000 in cash? I'm lucky to have $11.
  • Yolanda_85
    Yolanda_85 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    In todays world with cell phones and cameras no one would be suspicious that they werent being watched???

Especially in California. I guess no one has seen enough episodes of Punk'd or the other show that films people to see what they would do??

Based on that and paranoia that some mob or gang was watching me I would have to turn it in. My luck it would be some gang initiation that whoever took the money gets whacked.

I agree with this. I would either turn it in or walk away.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, I'd be more tempted to keep it if it were LESS money. A few hundred dollars isn't as hard to recoup as $11,000. That much my conscious would get to me, knowing it was probably someone's savings they brought to take that trip.

Of course I would expect a "Yea we are stupid dumbasses who carry around too much cash so thankfully you were honest enough to turn it in" reward.
  • Countryboy_
    Options
    Return it. Keeping it is theft and I am not that kind of person.

I agree that turning it in is the right thing to do...

But how do you figure keeping it is theft? If someone just leaves something lying around, what says i can't pick it up if I want it?
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I've found a purse with a big bank role in it. I didn't count it though. It seemed like the person cashed their check then lost it. I turned it in immediately. I believe in karma and doing the right thing. Besides, I know how it feels to have money taken from you. I lost my ATM card on a payday afternoon and didn't realize it until I went to pay for dinner at 9:30pm (thank goodness for credit cards). By that time someone had went on an almost $1700 shopping spree.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I would return it if legitimate owners could be found. I would not be able to spend money someone lost.

I found money in the parking lot at work once (didn't count it, but the envelope was fat). I know the gal had just gone to the bank and cashed paychecks for family members (small family business). Without thinking twice, I brought it in without looking. Didn't even occur to me to keep it.

I would like to say I hope someone would do the same for me, but judging by these responses, I will continue to keep a close eye (and hand!) on my money.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Without hesitation, I would look to return it or turn it in.
  • Loopygigglelips1968
    Options
    I'm far too honest, Id turn it straight in
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    obligatory hookers and blow comment

best response!

I am happy to know that I am not the only one who would keep it...I do like the point of considering that you may be being watched for like Dateline or something.

Keep in mind you don't know who lost it...you don't know that it was tourists that would be completely screwed with out it. There were credit cards with names, but being from out of the country its not like you can look up their phone number to return it. It could be drug money, ransom, fake.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I would turn it in. If it had been me in a forgein country and lost THAT MUCH MONEY, id be freakin devastated.

This... I'd put myself in the other person's shoes and would hope someone would be kind enough to turn in a lost valuable item of mine, especially that much money! I found $400 on the ground outside of the laundromat once. I picked it up, counted it and stood there waiting to see if anyone would come by to claim it. I saw this guy walking toward the building with a frantic look on his face and knew it had to be his. He walked up to me to ask if I'd seen it and I handed the money over. He was very grateful and I chalked up some karma points.

I'd also hope the people who lost the money rewarded the couple who found it!
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Being in the position of having lost a large amount of money and not having it turned in, I would try to find the person first and return it.
  • MyPsalm63
    Options
    I would absolutely return it, without a doubt. I can't imagine keeping it. Someone would be missing that money, greatly. It would be very wrong to keep it. Accidents happen, things get lost/misplaced.