(To the ladies) Is it really for us? C'mon man........

Options

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I don't even pretend that I do this for my husband. He told me he didn't like my outfit this weekend, and my reply was, "I'm not wearing it for you." I dress and primp because I like it, and because I like to present myself in a very specific way to the public. First impressions are a BFD, and I hope to present an impression that reflects my self confidence and abilities.

My husband is going to like me regardless of what I'm wearing or what color my nails are.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Most men in my life don't even notice when I change hair color....so no....it's for ouself.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    Yep, to impress others so my husband can be like yeah! That is mine!
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I work from home several days a week and stay in my sweats/no shower/no makeup. At the end of the day I make an effort, at least a shower, some makeup, clean sweats (LOL). I also will wear matching bra & panties on our date nights. I certainly don't do any of that for me.

But I also make 1/2 the money so I don't feel bad when I spend it on clothes/nails/facials, etc.

Oh, and it's especially worth it when I am downtown and I coincidentally walk by one of his co-workers who gawks at me, and then realizes he knows who I am and goes back to my DH and tells him how lucky he is.
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no. Not for you. I dress up for the other ladies (most of the time).

yay!! me too :flowerforyou:
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I spend money on all that stuff (my money btw, and stuff I mean clothes, makeup, jewelry, skin care, nail polish, etc) for me. So I feel like I look good.

My hubs - he likes me both ways, but I do all that stuff cause I like the way I look!
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Anytime someone says "I do it for me" what they're really saying is "I do it for the validation it gets me from other people."

No, not true.

Anything I spend money on...which is usually just to get my hair done professionally is because it's what *I* like and what makes me feel good. Others opinions of these decisions don't effect me.

I also don't need to do anything "for" my husband, so I don't say that. I don't go to the gym for him. I don't do my mani's and pedi's for him. I don't take care of my skin for him. I do it for me. I'm happy with me and I glow when I like what I see in the mirror. In return, my happiness makes him happy and he's attracted to me whether my hair is grown out and full of grays or freshly colored...and all is well in the world. Quite simple, really.
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    If girls are buying expensive outfits for work, and they probably don't work together.. then its either she is dressing up to look good for another guy.. or she is spending that money to impress the girls in the office or to look more important by buying expensive outfits.

you sound like my husband...when I feel good about the way I look it trickles down to how I treat people...so its for me...Not to impress anyone, If it happens to impress and I get a compliment along the way then thats just a bonus...

and why does it always have to be about "another guy" ???
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Women totally dress up for each other. Sorry guys. :flowerforyou:
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I do it for the stares. That, and when I do it, the husband keeps me really close and gets all possessive, which I fully admit to liking.

No, I'm not a possession. But it sure is fun to play one on date night.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    You mean there are men out there who believe that crap? :laugh:
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    And there's a lot of truth to what a PP said about men not wanting sloppy women anyway. My husband 'teases' me for spending money on clothes, having to put on make up before I'll leave the house, etc........but if I just stopped caring, he'd care. He'd care A LOT. I like to look nice for him, myself, *and* other people. There's nothing wrong with that.
    Sometime in the last decade or so it's become trendy to be proud of how little effort you put into yourself and I just can't be one of those people. Nope.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    We want to look good for our men, we really do. At the same time we all know deep down we want to look good for our men ACCORDING TO OUR PRECEPTION, NOT YOURS, of what we look good in. If it was just the men's idea, we'd just go naked or a thong and a push-up bra, no makeup, because men don't notice or care about makeup. Hell, they barely notice or care about hair. (Trust me on this one).
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Combination of both. First and foremost, I take care of myself for me. That includes the way I eat, my workouts, how I dress, getting regular pedicures, haircuts, massages, etc. It makes me feel good, like I am the best version of me. But being the best version of me certainly benefits the man in my life, doesn't it?

I think a lot of women do dress to impress other women, and I don't understand that. It does not benefit me in any way for a woman to be impressed by how I look unless I'm getting more attentive service at Saks because the sales associates can tell I have money to spend, but if a hot guy thinks I look good, well, that could lead to something else. Being newly single, I think it's in my best interest to maintain my appearance, and when I find myself in a serious relationship again, feeling beautiful will continue to serve me well.
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Of course it's for her, but isn't it nice that she says what she says?

My wife says the same things with a wink. It's adorable and I love it, but I completely get it. Hell, it's fun to hear it even when I know it's not true.

yep!!! you know what guys like to hear!! :wink:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I met my husband when I was wearing no make up, had my hair in a bun, was wearing a men's shirt and pants that were too big for me. It was awesome. Set the bar really low. He doesn't care if I wear makeup or not, actually thinks my "going out" makeup is usually too-much. He doesn't care if I wear T-shirts and jeans all the time, probably wouldn't care about sweats but I'm against them. He compliments me when I do try and dress nice, but he compliments me more when I'm naked.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    On my first date with the bf, who I met online, I wore jeans and a cute shirt, but no make up, and my hair was certainly clean and brushed but that's it. No jewelry either. He liked me anyway, I suppose, since nearly 2 years later he's still around
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    If my bf says that he likes a certain thing I will wear it for him. I know he likes when I wear skirts so I wear them when I know I will be with him. He has mentioned before he likes a certain outfit I will wear it again for him. But if I ask him what he wants me to wear he says naked every time. Granted, we don't live together so I don't see him everyday but I like to think at least some of my grooming is for him and alot of it is because I like to look nice.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    9 times out of 10 is not for you guys. Sorry.
    I mostly dress up for me, and yes, for other women.
  • Goaskyourmother
    Goaskyourmother Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I do it for me - with my own money. My man likes to pay for every thing when we go out, so I spend my money on looking good.