What to do with all those egg yolks?

Options
I have started eating just the egg whites, even when I eat the hardboiled eggs. But I'm wondering what to do with the yolks rather than just toss them. It just seems wasteful to me. Any suggestions?

Replies

• ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    pound cake!

just kidding.
    I'll use one whole egg and one or two whites when making an omelet. The dog gets the yolks.
  • Wickedbookworm1977
    Options
    Eat the yolks, just limit yourself if you've got to watch your cholesterol.
  • tycamsdad
    tycamsdad Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I never thougth about putting them in with the dog's dry food - she would probably love it and it would help her coat.

I am trying to keep my cholesterol in check so the doctor will take me off medication when I go back for my annual physical in a couple of months. The last time I had blood work done my cholesterol was in the higher end of the normal range so he wanted me to stay on a low dose. I am trying to get rid of all medications (blood pressure which is genetic and cholesterol).
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    Trust me, you've received some bad advice.........all the win (nutrients) is in the yolk and it improves cholesterol ratio's. :happy:
  • dollhousedolly
    dollhousedolly Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You are watching your cholesterol. I say don't eat it.
    Good luck on getting of the medications :)
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    i would say if you eat MORE egg whites, I would just purchase "egg whites" (at the store). Try buying a smaller carton of eggs for whatever else you use them for :)
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have started eating just the egg whites, even when I eat the hardboiled eggs. But I'm wondering what to do with the yolks rather than just toss them. It just seems wasteful to me. Any suggestions?
    Eat them? Nothing wrong with an egg yolk, you get alot of important nutrients from the yolk that you can't get from the whites!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    do you have a dog or a fish???
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I give them to my dog
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    definitely eat it. realllly healthy. if you only have 1 or 2 a day its not terrible for the cholesterol. whole eggs are a great complete protein.
  • mrincredible93
    Options
    If you want to get rid of them, dogs love them or you can put them into garden bio-mulch.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    If you aren't going to eat them, feed them to your dog or feed them to the birds outside.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Trust me, you've received some bad advice.........all the win (nutrients) is in the yolk and it improves cholesterol ratio's. :happy:

This but your dog would benefit from them too. You should both eat the yolks.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Eat them!
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Eat them, for Pete's sake. :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have scrambled eggs every morning with one whole egg and one egg white...my dog also gets the other yolk. The yolks are where the nutrition is at...omega 3s, etc. Even as someone who's combating high cholesterol, I eat the yolk...more recent studies indicate that dietary cholesterol has little impact on blood serum...still, I keep it to one yolk....mostly because I can't seem to ever fit those extra calories in without giving up something else I really want during the day.

By the by, my cholesterol numbers have been dropping like a rock. My doctor has mentioned to me that diets high in saturated fats and carbs (especially processed/added sugars) are increasingly the target of cholesterol research...much more so than dietary cholesterol. The link between high triglycerides from over consumption of carbs and high LDL is pretty interesting stuff. I'm eating a much higher protein diet and more heart healthy fats...HDL is on the way up too. I limit my carbs to about 40% and most of them come from fruit, veg, and whole grains. In 5 months my triglycerides have gone from 463 to 135...LDL was unreadable at 463 triglycerides. LDL is now high, but only a couple points from normal and total serum is very close to normal.
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I usually eat one whole egg, then add egg whites to it. I buy the Lucerne brand premium egg whites in the carton at Safeway grocery. Trader Joe's has decent egg whites in the carton too. That way I don't waste the whole eggs. :)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I use one whole egg and mix with liquid egg whites. I hate wasting, so the cartoon stuff works for me. But usually give the hard boiled yolks to the dog (don't like hard boiled yolks...lucky me).
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I never thougth about putting them in with the dog's dry food - she would probably love it and it would help her coat.

I am trying to keep my cholesterol in check so the doctor will take me off medication when I go back for my annual physical in a couple of months. The last time I had blood work done my cholesterol was in the higher end of the normal range so he wanted me to stay on a low dose. I am trying to get rid of all medications (blood pressure which is genetic and cholesterol).

It's great for the dog's coat (hair). Make it shine like never before. I wish I had a composter for mine...shells and yolks..
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Great dog treats!!!