What to do with all those egg yolks?

Options

Replies

• _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    If you're really not going to eat them (that's a shame!) then just buy the carton of eggwhites. Don't waste perfectly good yolks!
  • lazybut1
    lazybut1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    buy liquid egg whites, you can get it at any store and it isn't wasting any yolks in the process
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of eggs and dont always eat the yolks. Like tonights dinner will be 6 egg whites with two whole eggs.

I feed the yolks I dont eat to my.....chickens. :glasses:
  • Domi_BTGfit
    Options
    I just throw them out. In Australia they now sell the equiv of 18 egg whites in a milk carton in the fridge section, so maybe check out your dairy section at the supermarket to see if you're able to buy the same? That way there's no wasting the egg yolks.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I eat them. Grreat nutrients.
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    You would have to eat a lot of yolks to affect cholesterol.

An experiment on a programme I saw had the woman eat over 20 whole eggs over a weeks and her cholesterol levels had not changed.

Eat them or freeze them for later.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I couldn't bring myself to throw away the best part of the egg.
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Trust me, you've received some bad advice.........all the win (nutrients) is in the yolk and it improves cholesterol ratio's. :happy:

^^^^This! Eat the whole egg!
  • Yani51
    Yani51 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'd eat them unless Dr says 'no'.
    Otherwise, what about making them into shampoo for you and the dog? Plenty of recipes via google.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Make ice cream.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I would so love to take over everyone's unwanted egg yolks ...
  • mylifeisbeautiful
    mylifeisbeautiful Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Make egg tempera paint!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I have started eating just the egg whites, even when I eat the hardboiled eggs. But I'm wondering what to do with the yolks rather than just toss them. It just seems wasteful to me. Any suggestions?
    Eat them? Nothing wrong with an egg yolk, you get alot of important nutrients from the yolk that you can't get from the whites!

Except they are gag inducing gross. Yuck.

Haha I feed mine to the dog.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    It has already been said, egg yolks won't raise your cholesterol so eat them! They are the healthiest and tastiest part too. they don't have very many calories either at around 70.
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommends eating 12 whole eggs per day per 100 lbs of bodyweight for up to a month and liberal whole egg consumption following that month. Want to know why, pm me. My cholesterol is great and whole eggs are an important part of a healthy diet unless one is allergic to them.

But if I had eaten all of the eggs I wanted in any given day, I'd make flan or pudding with liquid vanilla stevia. Good dessert, melts fat builds muscle. :)
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Eggs are fantastic for you in their complete form. Do not toss the yolk!!! EAT IT!!!

The whole myth of yolks increasing cholesterol has been around forever, but it is simply not true.

The International Journal of Cardiology:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167527304001391

One of the many articles:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2005/04/13/egg-myths.aspx
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I agree with comments about giving them to your dogs...mine adore them. I also recently found great egg whites (humane certified from free-range chickens) at Whole Foods. You might want to check that out (it's just egg whites and non of the weird stuff in Egg Beaters kind of yuck). You can also use them to make an awesome custard and then you can freeze that.
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Eggs are fantastic for you in their complete form. Do not toss the yolk!!! EAT IT!!!

The whole myth of yolks increasing cholesterol has been around forever, but it is simply not true.

The International Journal of Cardiology:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167527304001391

One of the many articles:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2005/04/13/egg-myths.aspx

I'm not worried about the cholesterol, but I can get a lot more protein for my buck (cals) without the yolks. So, there are some dietary reasons to ditch the yolks that are valid.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Trust me, you've received some bad advice.........all the win (nutrients) is in the yolk and it improves cholesterol ratio's. :happy:

^^^^THIS^^^ Egg yolks are incredibly nutritious---especially organic ones. Cholesterol is a vital nutrient---it nourishes the brain and nervous system. The lecithin in the yolks is a potent fat emulsifier and actually improves the HDL to LDL ratio. Eating cholesterol does NOT give you high cholesterol---your liver makes 3 to 4 times as much as you can possibly eat. Nor does eating cholesterol give you heart disease---the scientific community has known this for a long time:

"In the early 1950's the Framingham study included dietary analyses. Almost one thousand individuals were questioned in detail about their eating habits. No connection was found between the composition of the food and the cholesterol level of the blood. Wrote Drs. William Kannel and Tavia Gordon, authors of the report: 'These findings suggest a cautionary note with respect to hypotheses relating diet to serum cholesterol levels. There is a considerable range of serum cholesterol levels within the Framingham Study Group. Something explains this inter-individual variation, but it is not diet.' For unknown reasons, their results were never published. The manuscript is still lying in a basement in Washington."

"Studies of African tribes have shown that intakes of enormous amounts of animal fat does not necessarily raise blood cholesterol; on the contrary it may be very low. Samburu people, for instance, eat about a pound of meat and drink almost two gallons of raw milk each day during most of the year. Milk from the African Zebu cattle is much fatter than cow's milk, which means that the Samburus consume more than twice the amount of animal fat than the average American, and yet their cholesterol is much lower, about 170 mg/dl (38)...Shepherds in Somalia eat almost nothing but milk from their camels. About a gallon and a half a day is normal, which amounts to almost one pound of butter fat, because camel's milk is much fatter than cow's milk. But although more than sixty percent of their energy consumption comes from animal fat, their mean cholesterol is only about 150 mg/dl, far lower than in most Western people (40)."

And it isn't genetic because they looked at the same tribesmen who have migrated to the cities and have adopted a more "Western" style of diet with lots of sugar (a very cheap source of calories for Third World urban dwellers now) and simple carbohydrates. Guess what? Their cholesterol is 25% higher than their agrarian brothers.

You can read the rest of the article, entitled "Cholesterol Myths" by Uffe Ravnskov, M.D. Ph.D. here: http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    You would have to eat a lot of yolks to affect cholesterol.

An experiment on a programme I saw had the woman eat over 20 whole eggs over a weeks and her cholesterol levels had not changed.

Eat them or freeze them for later.

Yep. When they have done studies of "lowering cholesterol" diets---it only changes the blood levels from 0% to 4% ---hardly worth getting excited about. The liver makes 3 to 4 times as much cholesterol as anyone could possibly eat.