What to do with all those egg yolks?

Options

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    egg yolks are good for you!! but yes, if you are trying to watch your cholesterol, just have an egg, and mix it with some egg whites from a carton.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with eating the whole egg. But, if you're going to be nixing the yolk, you might be better off buying the Egg White cartons, that way you aren't wasting anything :)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    For the love of all things holy.... CARBONARA!!!!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Don't waste them. Even if you really don't want to eat them (I would, though), use them and let other people eat it.

Use leftover egg yolk and make lemon curd, pastry cream, hollandaise, creme brulee, key lime pie, etc.
    The options are endless.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Eat them! Lol.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    egg yolks are good for you!! but yes, if you are trying to watch your cholesterol, just have an egg, and mix it with some egg whites from a carton.

This.
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i limit mine....1 yolk to 4 or 5 whites....the cats get the rest:)
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    ....do you just throw the egg yolk into the dog bowl, or do you cook it first? I am intrigued by this.
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Do you have kids? Do they like pudding? Home made pudding is so much better than store bought! You can control the amount of sugar and there are no nasty additives!

3/4 cup packed brown sugar 1/4 cup cornstarch 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 12 ounce can evaporated milk, divided 3 egg yolks 1 cup milk 3 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces 1 teaspoon vanilla

NOTE********* THIS IS NOT A LOW CAL PUDDING*************

Mix all ingredients except yolks in a microwave safe bowl. Boil for 1 minute, stir, boil for 1 minute, take out and temper ( add small amount of hot liquid to yolks while stirring) the yolks, add yolks to liquid and boil for 1 minute, stir. If thick and bubbly it's done, if not boil in 30 second increments until thick. cool and enjoy.
  • Peanutbutterx
    Options
    lots of vitamins in egg yolks! I always eat them.. my anatomy teacher just gave us an article about how all these new studys are coming out about how eggs are good for you and dont really raise your cholesterol but that saturated fats do because the live produces cholesterol when it breaks down fat (a way shorter version of what he said) but yeah i say eat the whole egg.. yumm i love eggs.
  • dollsalive55
    Options
    Give them to your dog!!! My dog loves the yolks!!!
  • Peanutbutterx
    Options
    liver**
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    i toss my yolks sometimes, but if i want quicker egg whites i buy cartons of all egg whites from aldis and they are ONLY egg whites (no other unpronounceable ingredients), so that keeps from wasting if thats what you are worried about.

Also, i do eat egg yolks, but i eat the egg whites when i want not a lot of calories but a lot of protein. If i always ate the yolks, I would be taking in a HUGE amount of calories every day :-)
  • HatherM
    HatherM Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I have started eating just the egg whites, even when I eat the hardboiled eggs. But I'm wondering what to do with the yolks rather than just toss them. It just seems wasteful to me. Any suggestions?

If you have a pet, give it to them, they usually like them
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i eat them. They are the best part
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I have started eating just the egg whites, even when I eat the hardboiled eggs. But I'm wondering what to do with the yolks rather than just toss them. It just seems wasteful to me. Any suggestions?

Eat them.

This thread is on page 2, so hopefully I'm the 31st person to say this by now and you've gotten the message
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    invite guests and make some delicious custard or creme brûlée for the crowd. They are much easier to make than it sounds :)
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

There is a lot of goodness in the yolks. All I can suggest is to actually eat the things, because you are correct, it is a waste.
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks freeze well. You can do them individually in an ice cube tray and thaw them for recipes.
  • uzmina
    Options
    Freeze them (if you plan to eat scrambled) and make a dessert when you have an occasion like a custard pudding