Most ridiculous serving size?

Options

Replies

• crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Ben And Jerries Ice cream... A pint should be a serving... cuz you cant tell me you actually measure out a half cup and place the rest in the freezer.:noway:
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Definitely Oreos or any cookie or chip. I'm always like, "Serving size: 2 cookies? I think they meant 2 sleeves. Yeah, let's go with that." Same with cereal.

Another one for me is nuts. 1/4 of a cup of nuts = 1/2 a mouthful. Screw that.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Pasta. 1 ounce is approximately 3 strands.
  • gemaquaries
    gemaquaries Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    2 T of potato salad, or ham salad, or macaroni salad, or all the other salads hahaha thats moronic!!
  • MonsterSugarBug
    Options
    PASTA! pisses me off, 85grams or 56 grams is an ant on the plate, BAH I just stay away from it, there's not point, well actually I now found the whole wheat yolk free egg noodles, I can have 2.5 cups.

You beat me to it! I was about to say how come nobody mentioned that? 56 grams (2 oz) of cooked pasta is just sad.. I need to have 4 times that quantity to consider it a meal.

According to this website http://www.barilla.com/faq?p=measuring you measure out 2oz of dry pasta/person. That's what I do anyway....

Mine are pop tarts, serving size is ONE pop tart, but they put TWO in the package...so I'm supposed to give away the other one or eat it stale tomorrow?!?
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I bought a 23g bag of popcorn that advertised less than 100kcal per serving, but then advised that one serving = 20g... Not sure what you're meant to do with the 3 spare grams!

those 3 grams are the ones that get dropped on the floor... :tongue:
  • sweetsknit3
    sweetsknit3 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My favorite are the Trader Joe's dark chocolate bars. Serving size is 2/3 of a bar. Servings per container reads 2.5.

Somewhere the math is wrong.

I ruined my friend's day on our way to yoga by bringing her attention to the calories she had in her chocolate milk bottle. Then, I made it worse by pointing out there was probably more than one serving inside. She clutched it to her chest all betrayed. I felt so bad for her.
  • kkpal
    kkpal Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I concur.
  • NancyKhuu
    NancyKhuu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Ben And Jerries Ice cream... A pint should be a serving... cuz you cant tell me you actually measure out a half cup and place the rest in the freezer.:noway:

Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with ice cream serving size? I eat like a medium scoop each time and never wants more. When buying ice cream at the fair or something I always buy the half a cup tub. Never understands why people would want to eat more ice cream in one sitting. But yeah I might be just weird.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with ice cream serving size? I eat like a medium scoop each time and never wants more. When buying ice cream at the fair or something I always buy the half a cup tub. Never understands why people would want to eat more ice cream in one sitting. But yeah I might be just weird.

I've never seen a half a cup tub. Even the kids size is one cup here... and that's about right for me.
  • NancyKhuu
    NancyKhuu Posts: 87 Member
    Options

I've never seen a half a cup tub. Even the kids size is one cup here... and that's about right for me.

Oh I forget to clarify, I haven't been to a fair in the US, only in Asia. And serving sizes are tiny (I would call it "proper" serving size tho) overseas so I was able to get the half cup serving. I sure do see the one cup tub here in the US.
  • Francl27
    Options

Oh I forget to clarify, I haven't been to a fair in the US, only in Asia. And serving sizes are tiny (I would call it "proper" serving size tho) overseas so I was able to get the half cup serving. I sure do see the one cup tub here in the US.

Makes sense. In France if I got an ice cream cone... I got one scoop in it. Here... they give you 3.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Muesli, before I got my electronic scales I used to pour what I thought was a regular bowl of the stuff, thinking fab loads of dried fruit, nuts and oats, (I also used to slice in a banana and have it with reduced fat yoghurt and a teaspoon of honey) so good for you and keeps me full till lunch, a few months later got some scales and bam I'd been pouring myself 2.5x what the recommended 40g portion was.

My breakfast had been about 600-700cal mark about double what I'd guessed calorie wise and was basically putting me on maintenance :/
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I could've had a ruddy bacon and egg butty for breakfast everyday for that :P
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    PASTA! pisses me off, 85grams or 56 grams is an ant on the plate, BAH I just stay away from it, there's not point, well actually I now found the whole wheat yolk free egg noodles, I can have 2.5 cups.

I'm pretty sure the 2 oz thing on pasta is the precooked weight, so how much can I have after it is done? I've looked all over the the food data base and can't find it. Does anybody know?
  • Francl27
    Options

I'm pretty sure the 2 oz thing on pasta is the precooked weight, so how much can I have after it is done? I've looked all over the the food data base and can't find it. Does anybody know?

Numbers are all over the scale, unfortunately it depends on how firm you like it. It's about one cup of pasta for 2oz is all I can tell you. Now it's the one thing I make sure to weigh raw, even if it means making two different pots if I make some for more people...
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I find that the way I cook my pasta, it about doubles in weight, so 2 oz dry becomes 4 oz cooked. But when I cook pasta for my family, I'll make 4 servings (weighed dry) then, after cooking and draining, weigh it again, divide by 4, and that is the serving size for everybody's plate.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Definitely Oreos or any cookie or chip. I'm always like, "Serving size: 2 cookies? I think they meant 2 sleeves. Yeah, let's go with that." Same with cereal.

Another one for me is nuts. 1/4 of a cup of nuts = 1/2 a mouthful. Screw that.

Obviously this theory is working for you (peeped your profile pics). I think I'll go with the 2 sleeve conclusion as well. Thanks!
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Packet of Rolos - serving size is 4 Rolos which is about one third of the packet that's being sold as an 'individual' rather than 'sharing' packet.
  • Tryxxie2013
    Tryxxie2013 Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Hummus...the serving size isn't enough to cover even half of the veggies I bring in with me.

And Nuts...who in the world stops at 1/3 cup? I love nuts of all kinds (no comments people :laugh:) and it's hard to stop, even knowing that that 1/3 of a cup is approx. 300 calories. How can something that is so good for you be so bad?