Most ridiculous serving size?

Options
1272829303133»

Replies

• NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Today for me was tortilla chips. I weighted out 28g, and it was 8 chips, not all of them whole. Their serving size says 14 chips is 28g. Which is right here?

And this is why people are skeptical over serving sizes and sometimes just disregard them.

Alos, cream cheese, salsa, cheese and pickles!
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    It will always and forever be mayo for me. That one serving of mayo barely wets some of the bread
    *cries*

My mom taught me to hate the stuff :D She was always talking about how she didn't like it, and scraping it off bread that I never got the courage to touch it. I've tasted it now, and it's not bad, but I'm still grossed out about it.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    oreos - serving size is 2 cookies. WHO EATS JUST TWO OREOS!?

Not me! I don't even eat one; I just don't like Oreos (or cookies).
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    For the Oreos ... that 2 cookies/serving doesn't include the peanut butter you dip them into either. :sad:

The mayo ... I buy both reg and light, use mostly light on the bread then add some regular. You get all the flavor but for less cals. I do that when I make home made chicken salad too.

The tuna ... where are you getting a can of tuna with 6oz? Around here they reduced the size of the can to 5oz. Used to be an 8oz can some years back and I can see eating half of that. But now that it's only 5oz ... no one eats less than the whole can. Well, my daughter does. Weird kid.

Oh, and the 'Family Size' bags of Oreos? Yeah, the regular size bag of Oreos used to be just a bit bigger than that (used to be 20oz). They cut the size while keeping the price the same (which essentially jacks the price), then reintroduce the original size as 'family' like they're doing me a favor. *kitten*!

The can says 2 ozs is a serving and there are 2 servings per can. I've been weighing my drained tuna and I only get 2 1/2 to 3 ozs per can :huh:
  • willywonka_71
    willywonka_71 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Another one for me is nuts. 1/4 of a cup of nuts = 1/2 a mouthful. Screw that.

Yes. Totally this
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options

noooooo!!! you don't like cookies???
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Exactly how big is that sandwich?!! Holy wow!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

noooooo!!! you don't like cookies???

nooooo, I don't. Are you mad at me? :sad:
  • zinc6
    zinc6 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sea Lord Fish Fingers - 400 gram pack - 15 fingers in a pack - serving size 100g ??????????????????????
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Cereal! Who can eat 1/4 cup of cereal, really? I certainly can't! So I don't eat it much... when I eat it I need a giant bowl of it! HAHA

Yes! This drives me nuts.
  • mweb21
    mweb21 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ben And Jerries Ice cream... A pint should be a serving... cuz you cant tell me you actually measure out a half cup and place the rest in the freezer.:noway:

Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with ice cream serving size? I eat like a medium scoop each time and never wants more. When buying ice cream at the fair or something I always buy the half a cup tub. Never understands why people would want to eat more ice cream in one sitting. But yeah I might be just weird.

I wouldn't say you are weird. People are just raised different and have different likes and weaknesses. I can turn down any sweet, any cake or candy but ice cream is so hard for me to turn down. I almost ate a full half gallon tub once or twice. One of the reasons I got so big.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Ben And Jerries Ice cream... A pint should be a serving... cuz you cant tell me you actually measure out a half cup and place the rest in the freezer.:noway:

Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with ice cream serving size? I eat like a medium scoop each time and never wants more. When buying ice cream at the fair or something I always buy the half a cup tub. Never understands why people would want to eat more ice cream in one sitting. But yeah I might be just weird.

I wouldn't say you are weird. People are just raised different and have different likes and weaknesses. I can turn down any sweet, any cake or candy but ice cream is so hard for me to turn down. I almost ate a full half gallon tub once or twice. One of the reasons I got so big.

I second that. Here we rarely buy the tub kind. Most of the the servings range between 1/4 (yes 1/4!) and 1/2 cup and most ice cream is sold single servings on a popsicle stick or an ice cream sandwich. When we do buy a tub, we are so used to the single servings that we just portion out a similar amount. Scoop ice cream we usually have 1-2 scoops each of which is about 1/4 a cup.
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    MIcrowave popcorn. I don't have a bag in front of me, but it reads something like "Serving size, unpopped, 3.5". Unpopped!? It's in a sealed bag! Why waste our time?

Thank you! Who the hell is eating this stuff unpopped? Same with dry pasta vs. cooked, as the volume does change. And you have to watch boxed mac and cheese labels carefully, I recently realized some of the brands give the calorie count for unprepared ONLY. In teeny, tiny fine print that I'd never before noticed it gave some info for "prepared as directed with butter and 2% milk adds approximately blah blah calories, etc." :grumble:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    So I bought those waffles at Whole Foods today. Always loved them - fancy frozen waffles with sugar bits inside, so delicious... 4 a package. I remember I didn't buy them last time because the calories were horrendous for each waffle, today I looked, 140 calories a serving, it wasn't that bad, so I bought a box.

I was looking them up to log a couple for tomorrow's breakfast, and had to enter the information manually... it's 140 calories per 33g, and there are 8 servings in a box. So basically, a serving is half a waffle. Who in their right mind eats HALF a frozen waffle? They're not even that big... And to think I used to just eat the whole box! Now I wish I had looked at the info for the chocolate ones...

Guess I'll have two servings for breakfast tomorrow with something lighter in calories...

And yeah, I got some toaster pastries while I was there, to have with ice cream, the Nature Path's Organic brand, it's also two a package and a serving of one. So dumb.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    mine is peanut butter...a serving size = 2 tbsp! which is not as much as what people think. I love peanut butter or almond butter and this just isn't right...

I hate to be THAT person, but I have the opposite problem. I by the time I weigh out 1 tbsp of peanut butter, I can't imagine eating double that amount. I've always thought that a little goes a long way with pb.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Most little bags of candy or nuts. Walgreen's "Nice" snacks are notorious for this...tiny packet with 2 fudge covered grahams is 2 servings, or cocoa almonds 1.4 or 2.4 servings...clearly a one time kinda snack for most people. I mean yeah, I follow the suggested serving sizes more now that I am on this website and don't find it problematic to package up the other 1/2 for later...but I think most people are not going to do that, or even notice the serving number isn't one.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    mine is peanut butter...a serving size = 2 tbsp! which is not as much as what people think. I love peanut butter or almond butter and this just isn't right...

I hate to be THAT person, but I have the opposite problem. I by the time I weigh out 1 tbsp of peanut butter, I can't imagine eating double that amount. I've always thought that a little goes a long way with pb.

Honestly I am the same way with PB and also Nutella or Nutkao. I just had an exact TBSP of Nutkao on a half banana at lunch and it was a lot to me.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Cereal! Who can eat 1/4 cup of cereal, really? I certainly can't! So I don't eat it much... when I eat it I need a giant bowl of it! HAHA
    THIS! 1/4 cup is nothing!
    I usually fill the bowl to the brim. 2.5 - 3 cups.
  • BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Ahaha wow I never knew that! I used to LOVE them and eat ten at a time XD
  • BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    MIcrowave popcorn. I don't have a bag in front of me, but it reads something like "Serving size, unpopped, 3.5". Unpopped!? It's in a sealed bag! Why waste our time?

Thank you! Who the hell is eating this stuff unpopped? Same with dry pasta vs. cooked, as the volume does change. And you have to watch boxed mac and cheese labels carefully, I recently realized some of the brands give the calorie count for unprepared ONLY. In teeny, tiny fine print that I'd never before noticed it gave some info for "prepared as directed with butter and 2% milk adds approximately blah blah calories, etc." :grumble:
    I looked at that too and was annoyed! Who the heck is eating this stuff unprepared? lol