The Term "Newbie"

Options

Replies

• sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    "Person who has little or no previous experience." Sounds the least inflammatory, I suppose?

Would you say such a person is "inexperienced?" Perhaps "New?" Maybe we could come up with a catchy little word like "Newbie?"
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    "Person who has little or no previous experience." Sounds the least inflammatory, I suppose?

I'm not sure, might not meet the OP's criteria for not implying inferiority. It needs to be more cheerful, like "Potential powerlifting champion of tomorrow"
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I dont know if its an improvent, but in the military new people are called "privates". Maybe not..

;-) I'm new to weight training too. And liking it!

Don't know about working out one's "privates" ... I think "beginner" is good. Or even "novice".

Editing to say that I think of myself as "a recent convert". :happy:
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    What about newf4g?
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Just call a spade a spade.

I don't think we need a warm fuzzy term for newbies who are easily offended by being called newbies because they are newbies.
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    FNG's
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Better than what my on-line gaming community tends to use: Noob. Or N00B … Derived from newbie and definitely more derogatory.

or, as is actually the case, exactly the same, n00b is just l33t speak for newbie.

just another example of how people take political correctness too far.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Untrained
    Beginner
    Novice

frankly there is nothing deragatory about "newbie". it's a cutsey term.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I love the terms "newbie", "n00b" and "newb". A lot. Those are names my strength training buddy and I used to give each other when we started lifting more than a year ago.

Now the terms of endearment are downright vulgar and non-PC. Why? To piss each other off badly enough so we go into beast mode and make crazy gains.

:flowerforyou:
  • taso42
    Options
    see, i think n00b and newb might be derogatory, but newbie is neutral.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    How about "newfies"?
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    How about "newfies"?

Because I'd prefer not to be confused with a Canadian. Much worse than being called a noob. :P
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'm a lifting newbie. I've been doing it since October.
  • taso42
    Options

If you don't mind me saying so, you look Intermediate. Maybe even advanced :)
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, do you think we can come up with a better term to describe people who are new to strength training than "newbie"?

You're oversensitve. Toughen up.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

Why, thank you :flowerforyou:
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    This is why we can't have good conversations about privilege and what-not.... Cuz some people take this PC business WAY TOO FAR.

You are new to weightlifting (or anything else)??? Guess what- that makes you a NEWbie. Nothing derogatory about it.

SMH.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    My strength standards measure in the "advanced" category for the lifts I do.

But I have never done a snatch.

When I try to do a snatch, I will probably ask questions about form and I will start by saying
    "I am a noob at this!"
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Being that I just started Starting Strength a couple of months ago, I always refer to myself as a noob or newbie. I find nothing derogatory about it...I'm a noob...I am what I am.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

No doubt...rockin'