Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Wait newbie and noob are offensive!

I've been calling myself those for ages :noway:

Should I report myself?
  • medeamama
    medeamama Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Why do we have to put labels on people anyway?
    I find it much more respectful when fitness instructors ask, "who is new in class?" or "who is new to me?" and describe different levels of difficulty for moves as "beginner, intermediate and advanced."

Just my thoughts.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    "Person who has little or no previous experience." Sounds the least inflammatory, I suppose?

Would you say such a person is "inexperienced?" Perhaps "New?" Maybe we could come up with a catchy little word like "Newbie?"

I like "turd".
    I'm a turd lifter.

It's sufficiently offensive that no one is going to call you a turd without meaning to offend. So the descriptor modifies the predicate and can't accidently be confused for the object.

This newbie is a turd lifter.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Why do we have to put labels on people anyway?
    I find it much more respectful when fitness instructors ask, "who is new in class?" or "who is new to me?" and describe different levels of difficulty for moves as "beginner, intermediate and advanced."

Just my thoughts.

Seriously, you find newbie disrespectful? :noway:

I'm new at weightlifting call me what you will, I'm still new. ergo newbie - it's just a label, one that is completely inoffensive. Beginner is a label too.

If it's not your name it's a label.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    "Person who has little or no previous experience." Sounds the least inflammatory, I suppose?

Would you say such a person is "inexperienced?" Perhaps "New?" Maybe we could come up with a catchy little word like "Newbie?"

I like "turd".
    I'm a turd lifter.

It's sufficiently offensive that no one is going to call you a turd without meaning to offend. So the descriptor modifies the predicate and can't accidently be confused for the object.

This newbie is a turd lifter.

2a9adef0-95b0-4c62-92b1-cc33a040ab0d.jpg
  • jmarchpark
    Options
    How about "newfies"?

Because I'd prefer not to be confused with a Canadian. Much worse than being called a noob. :P

Hahahaha this made me laugh....mostly because I'm Canadian and this couldn't be furthur from the truth, were pretty kick *kitten* I gotta say :) But perhaps you wouldn't know first hand.... :tongue:
  • Stronger_Diva
    Stronger_Diva Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I've always liked apprentice.
  • mgpage
    mgpage Posts: 123
    Options
    There's nothing derogatory about "newb"!

Newb = someone who is new at something
    Noob = someone who sucks at something

Well, I fall under both of those...LOL!!! I am new to lifting and I suck at it as I don't have the experience to yet to be good. I guess I am the Newbie Noob!!
  • LeoT97
    LeoT97 Posts: 2
    Options
    Actualy kids have shortened even that term down to nube
  • syntaxxor
    syntaxxor Posts: 86
    Options
    Any synonym you pick will mean the same thing; so changing it is pointless.