Please stop saying everything is starvation mode...

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ...but if you eat like 1000 calories a day, which I do not, it is impossible to be in "starvation mode" as truly defined...
    I agree to the extent that I believe "starvation mode" is one of the most abused/misused and most misunderstood terms on MFP. With that said, long-term VLCDs definitely can lead to metabolic adaptations which have an adverse effect upon the metabolism.

I agree that long term under eating can cause a problem...

but if I miss meal 99 and done eat till meal 102 I wont be in starvation mode LOL
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I think I read somewhere that starvation mode only happens when you hit <5% BF...

basically if you do not eat for 72 hours you will start to see slight affect of starvation mode..i.e. body turning to muscle for energy but this is slight and you would have to continue fast for like another two days to really start suffering damage ...(I think that is the time frame)..

not sure on the sub 5% body fat thing...
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    <
    HATES the term "starvation mode":explode:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    but if I miss meal 99 and done eat till meal 102 I wont be in starvation mode LOL
    Meal 100 and 101 are the most important meals of the day! ;)
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!!!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I go into starvation mode anytime I miss my evening bowl of ice cream.

And bacon.
  • ndj1979
    Options

And bacon.

mmmm if I dont have my daily intake of bacon I definitely go into starvation mode...
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

And bacon.

mmmm if I dont have my daily intake of bacon I definitely go into starvation mode...

Wait!!! Does someone have a gif of bacon AND ice cream? Anyone? Anyone?
  • ndj1979
    Options

I agree if you are trying to tell others to do a three day fast to lose weight (saw this in a thread) or something insane like that then you WILL go into starvation mode...

Agreed. And I saw it, too: OP was an idiot.

Three days without food = hungry Howl

I think we both posted in that thread...
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I've been to Africa and met lots of people who survive on far less than 1200 calories a day for long periods of time. Actually, 1200 calories a day would have been a feast. Maybe they were in starvation mode but I guarantee you none of them were anything but lean! One meal a day was common and it was often a cup of rice and a few beans. North Americans have no idea what starvation is.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Given the number of bacon pics I've seen on MFP, I'd bet someone has an entire hard drive full of bacon pics.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I've been to Africa and met lots of people who survive on far less than 1200 calories a day for long periods of time. Actually, 1200 calories a day would have been a feast. Maybe they were in starvation mode but I guarantee you none of them were anything but lean! One meal a day was common and it was often a cup of rice and a few beans. North Americans have no idea what starvation is.

I hope no one tries to use that as an excuse in the next defending ~1200kcal a day thread.

"But the starving, bony, nearly dead African children do it! And they're anything but lean!" :P
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Did you also happen to notice a near-total absence of muscle mass? Google "marasmus" for examples of what chronic underfeeding looks like. Not exactly the look most people are striving for.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Given the number of bacon pics I've seen on MFP, I'd bet someone has an entire hard drive full of bacon pics.

more like a freaking off site server full of em!
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I had to take a break from eating my snack to type this so I'm probs in starvation mode now. Plz halp.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options

You asked for a bacon sundae sir???

baconsundae-531x550_zpsa1e1b042.jpg
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    There is such a ridiculous amount of misinformation on these forums that I kind of have to turn a cheek to most of it or my head will explode. But yeah, one of my favorites is when someone says something like "I missed lunch, what do I do now? I don't want to go into starvation mode!" like it will immediately happen upon skipping a meal. You are not a cat, skipping meals won't give you fatty liver disease.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options

Or maybe a Bacon ice cream sammich???

Ice-Cream-Sandwiches-with-Candied-Bacon-5_zps13a9b072.jpg
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Why yes. Yes, I did. Thank you ma'am!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    chocolate-dipped-bacon-in-ice-cream-19525-1299882570-31.jpg

bacon-ice-cream.jpg

peanut-butter-concoctions-3.jpg?w=500&h=365