Morbidly Obese mother files complaint

Replies

• kaylaknight4247
    kaylaknight4247 Posts: 31 Member
    I think the doctor was wrong is lying to the woman about the situation, but definitely not wrong on his call to send her to a more experienced hospital. If I was in the same situation, I most certainly wouldn't want a doctor who was uncomfortable delivering my baby -- in a way he's doing a good thing by trying to increase the chance of a successful delivery. Also, definitely not discrimination. It's the job of our health professionals to make those sort of calls, and obesity is definitely a factor doctors should consider for things like this.

I think another thing to note based on some other comments is that you can be in a healthier state and be this much overweight; you can have a healthy BP, be able to run up and down stairs, not be diabetic, or have any other serious health concerns. But who's to say this women didn't have health issues that the doctor saw that affected his choice? Needless to say, being that much overweight I can understand health concerns merely based on the weight and no other factors, from a doctor's perspective. "fat discrimination" is about not being hired for a job because of weight, being treated differently in social situations, etc. It does exist, but there's a line between a doctor that only wants the best for his patient, even if that means wanting her to go to a more experienced hospital.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    He shouldn't have lied and said it was hospital policy. Everything else he suggested seem pretty valid, though. If there's a hospital better equipped, she should go there since it will increase the likelihood of her child and her coming out ok.

I agree. I have met someone who later died in childbirth, and so has my SO (different women). The woman I knew was 30 and in pretty good health. It was her first baby and not a complicated pregnancy. I think that we, as a culture, take for granted that a delivery will go well because that's usually the case, but giving birth, although a natural and beautiful thing, is a process with an inherent level of risk to both mother and child. I would personally rather my doctor admit she was uncomfortable delivering me and refer me to a more equipped doctor at a more equipped hospital than to try to deliver my child but not be confident in their ability to do so safely. Yes, a mother's wishes and her comfort should be considered when planning a birth, but safety should trump all.
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    I dont think its discriminating, one of the smaller hospitals here will not do surgery on anyone over 250 lbs, Since there is a higher risk the heavier you are, anyone over that weight has to go to the larger better equipt hospital
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    If a doctor or hospital was not equipped to treat me the last thing I would do is complain. I would find a hospital that could give me and my baby the best care. Her weight has created a complication. Doctors take an oath to do no harm. What more can you ask for than a doctor that is honest enough to assess your situation and say 'I am not qualified. But here are people that are.'?

perfect.

/end thread.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Yes, the whole point of this is fat acceptance. As the article states, she went to the media so other overweight women wouldn't have to be treated the same as her.

This isn't an issue of fat acceptance, in my mind. The lady is high risk because of her weight and the doctor doesn't want to take on that liability.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    At my highest weight, 357, I was healthy. Granted, I was too heavy, but my numbers were just fine. My blood pressure, heart rate, cholesterol, blood sugar, thyroid, triglycerides, etc were all within normal levels. No diabetes. No high blood pressure. None of the issues many obese people have. Doctors were usually pretty shocked.

My point is, you can't assume she isn't healthy just because of her weight. If she's speaking in terms of bloodwork alone, she may be right. On paper, I was perfectly healthy (if you ignored my BMI). Still am. I've lost 54 pounds, and I'm sure my numbers are about the same or better. Am I a healthy weight? Heck no. Am I healthy, generally? Yes.

I don't think it's right that he lied to her. He should have explained her options. He took the chicken way out of it, and that's wrong.

I have to call BS on this. I have never had problems with my BP, I have never had problems with my cholesterol, diabetes or anything like that either. But just because those vital stats are ok does not mean you are healthy. At 260 pounds, all my stats were good too, but it made me sick to my stomach to walk for 20 minutes. It took me losing 50lbs to realize how unhealthy I actually was and how much potential I was lacking physically. Denial is a horrible thing.

I have to call BS on you, dear. I currently weigh close to 300lbs. I am also pregnant. My blood pressure was taken yesterday and was 101/70. All of my stats are awesome. I can RUN up and down stairs no problem. I can EASILY walk more than 20 minutes. With no pain. And I do. All of the time. In the summer I walk around the small lake near our house 1-2 times per week and that is a 4 mile walk and I do it in a little over an hour.

Then why are you close to 300lbs with all this exercise?
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    I grew up most of my life in Terre Haute and Indy. I think that the doctor was afraid he wouldn't be able to deliver the baby at such and obese size and he was concerned the baby would be harmed if he tried or damage could be done and he didn't want to be liable. I think the mother is acting like a drama queen and wanting to make a federal case out of it. but a doctor is within his rights to decline a patient if it poses a huge risk like that.
  • janalo55
    janalo55 Posts: 50 Member
    Before my daughter was born, I was told I had to choose one of two hospitals my doctor went to. They were both good hospitals, but one had the best neonatal care unit in three states and I am Rh Negative. Her father is Rh Positive. They told me if there were any complications, she would be transferred to the best care possible and they may or may not have room for ME to be there as well. It didn't take 3 seconds to choose the hospital (even though the two hospitals are only about 5 miles apart and I originally thought I wanted the other because of my perceived friendliness, accessibility, etc.) As it turned out, my daughter is Rh Negative so there were no issues. I have still never regretted my decision, 34 years ago this year! Why she would even WANT to go to a hospital that is less prepared for possible issues is beyond me.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    To clarify. It started as an article posted on the news, which I posted in the the OP so people wouldn't feel baited with my opinions or comments. The woman went on the newsfacebook page and posted additional comments. She and I have had civil exchanges.

Yes, the whole point of this is fat acceptance. As the article states, she went to the media so other overweight women wouldn't have to be treated the same as her.
    OK. Thanks for clarifying. Based on the story I've read so far, I'm not getting a "fat acceptance" agenda (though I could be missing something).

The news article you linked to (http://www.wlfi.com/dpp/news/local/woman-says-doctor-lied-about-hospital-policy) makes the story out to be about the doctor lying about hospital policy. I read that she simply wants to be treated the same as others with regard to information and communication from the hospital. Yes, the communication was related to her weight. But isn't she pushing a "truth" agenda? Or "fairness"? Or "equal treatment"? Where do you get "fat acceptance"?

At what point does discrimination end and fat acceptance begin? Asking not to be discriminated against isn't the same as acceptance is it? I don't believe so, but am curious what others think.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member

This isn't an issue of fat acceptance, in my mind. The lady is high risk because of her weight and the doctor doesn't want to take on that liability.

I agree, but from what the patient is stating, she is being judged because her weight.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member

Agreed! This woman is high risk in many ways, not just because of her weight for this pregnancy, but because of issues she had in her first pregnancy.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member

I agree, but from what the patient is stating, she is being judged because her weight.

This is COMPLETELY an issue of fat acceptance.
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    BUMP
  • perfectingpatti

She is being medically treated a certain way because of her weight. Doctors make judgement calls all the time.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Incidentally, it's funny that almost everybody is referring to the doctor as "he" even though s/he's referred to as "she" in the article!

I noticed that too. Not all doctors are male!
  • captndalton
    captndalton Posts: 53 Member
    This sounds like the fat lady is just mad she was lied to.. if that is, in fact, what happened. The doctor isn't practicing bad medicine,afawk, so really there's nothing left to it but that the fat lady was personally offended. When a person is personally offended and they go to the public with their hurt feelings and one-sided accusations, it only shows that they're petty. She is not doing anything to promote 'fat acceptance'... in fact, if the fat lady becomes a symbol for fat acceptance, I am certain the opposite will happen.
    The doctor may have lied and that's bad in itself, but the fat woman is on a trivial crusade to embarrass the doctor, which is wholly pathetic.
  • perfectingpatti

How? I'm just not seeing that. Are you suggesting that doctors should just accept that their patients are overweight and not say anything to them abou it? Doctors should risk being sued by taking on high risk patients just to avoid being called "fat shamers"? Another poster said that her doctor "fat shamed" her when she'd go in for her visits. I just don't get that. No doctor should overlook a patient's weight if it is unhealthy.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    You've made this claim twice in this thread. Can you explain why this is an issue of fat acceptance? (maybe start with your definition of fat acceptance)
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    In birth there is always some risk of complication where there might be a need for C-section. That is surgery.

In morbidly obese women the chances for c-section are even greater, plus, it is more difficult to monitor the baby and ultrasound does not see as well through that level of fat....

If Dr. does not feel comfortable doing a surgical procedure on a 350lb woman, which is different from a 150lb woman, and wants someone with more experience to handle the procedure, that is a valid reason in my opinion.

I ended up in emergency C-section when nothing prior to delivery indicated that would happen, and I don't think that OR table was even equipped to accommodate someone her size.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    It was kinda stupid of the doctor to give false information in order to excuse herself from the situation (the awkward truth is best) but I don't believe it was negligent or malicious or harmful in any way. If the patient is pissy about it (probably just defensive and entitled) she should just file her little complaint and get over it. I think she just wants a paycheck. Suing over this is just ridiculous. :tongue: