Satisfying My Sweet-tooth

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I had a sweet craving yesterday. Had a bowl of organic oatmeal mixed with skim milk, cinammon and artifical sweetner. I know it´s not ideal but filled me up and got rid of the sweet craving.

You should know that researchers have discovered that artificial sweeteners provoke the exact same insulin spike as does eating sugar. :sad: That is why many dieters find that they are "ravenous" soon after eating or drinking something that is artificially sweetened.
  • Nulookdotbody
    Nulookdotbody Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I like healthy choice frozen yogurt but when I'm looking for a homemade treat I like to take 2 tbs of sour cream, any flavor extract ( I prefer pound cake), and 1 packet of sugar substitute. I whip it up and freeze it. If I want something nutty or crunchy I will add nuts or granola.
  • FitBlackChick
    FitBlackChick Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Skinnycow ice cream sandwiches. Oh yeah...

I would like to give these a try, where can i buy them please?

I know for sure you can buy them at Walmart and Walgreens.

Although Skinnycows are low in calories, they are also FULL of chemicals. They aren't really food, they're more of a lab experiment. I used to eat them and now I don't. I would just go for some real icecream, just a bit. Pleaaaaassee don't put more money into this company's pockets! they are just like those silly weight watchers "snacks" with the mile long ingredient list.

Try this recipe, I use it ALL the time and it TOTALLY satisfies me.
    2 frozen ripe bananas
    1 tablespoon peanut butter (all natural)
    1/4 cup almond/soy/dairy milk
    (optional: a tablespoon of cocoa powder)

This makes about 3/4 cup I'd say, and is TOTALLY delicious and full of healthy nutrients!
    It tastes almost exactly like real icecream with a hint of banana flavor (Its not gross or overwhelming though)

also, check out www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com and skinnytaste.com. Excellent sites for delicious treats!

Thank you for this! :smile:
  • FitBlackChick
    Options
    Hi Chick

I see you are still using that euphemism "sweet tooth". Why not call it what it REALLY is?

Sugar addiction.

Then the question becomes, "how can I follow a healthy diet AND continue to feed my sugar addiction"?

I tried to do that for years and it never, NEVER worked. In the end I had (very reluctantly) to come out of denial and fess up - I was addicted to sugar and was finding any excuse or justification to keep eating it. (Same thing happens with smokers, drug addicts and alcoholics).

Then I had to go Cold Turkey to get rid of a 50-year sugar addiction. Painful? YES, I won't lie to you. Worth it? Definitely! Am now free of the addiction, and I feel that I have really achieved something. I can follow a diet without continually trying to find ways of adding sugar. PHEW!

Congratulations on your success!

A BIG congratulations on your success :) I better get started on my journey too :ohwell:
  • FitBlackChick
    Options
    Mostly, I'm okay with a non-sugar lifestyle. After a while of being off sugar, if you ever do eat something (like cake at a birthday party or something) it tastes nauseatingly sweet. But, on my heavier workout days, I find that I get a craving for chocolate (probably for the magnesium) so I make my own with dextrose (the industry name for pure glucose). If you MUST eat something sweet, glucose is the way to go, because it doesn't have the "anti-satiety" effect that sucrose has (it is actually the fructose portion of sucrose that has this effect---it's been tested).

I take four ounces of baker's unsweetened chocolate and melt it in a double boiler, then I add about 1/3 of a cup of dextrose/glucose and stir it in--it dissolves quickly. Then I add a large splash of pure vanilla extract (it really is up to you how much vanilla you want) and stir that in and then divide it into 4 servings onto parchment paper (you could use waxed paper but I find the parchment paper works better). I refrigerate them and then eat one on heavy workout days. This is a very intense chocolate and I make it as bitter as I can stand it. Sometimes, I add powdered espresso to it to give it an extra kick (it intensifies the chocolate flavor). You really can't eat more than one piece of this chocolate and it is very satisfying. Unsweetened chocolate and dextrose can be gotten at your local bulk food store. (Sometimes the dextrose/glucose is called "corn sugar" ---but not to be confused with high fructose corn syrup solids--totally different substance. The hfcs lobby group wanted to call hfcs "corn sugar" but, so far, the FDA has turned them down so as not to confuse hfcs with dextrose/glucose.) The caloric hit is less than 200 calories.

Thank you, will definitely give this a try
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Mostly, I'm okay with a non-sugar lifestyle. After a while of being off sugar, if you ever do eat something (like cake at a birthday party or something) it tastes nauseatingly sweet. But, on my heavier workout days, I find that I get a craving for chocolate (probably for the magnesium) so I make my own with dextrose (the industry name for pure glucose). If you MUST eat something sweet, glucose is the way to go, because it doesn't have the "anti-satiety" effect that sucrose has (it is actually the fructose portion of sucrose that has this effect---it's been tested).

I take four ounces of baker's unsweetened chocolate and melt it in a double boiler, then I add about 1/3 of a cup of dextrose/glucose and stir it in--it dissolves quickly. Then I add a large splash of pure vanilla extract (it really is up to you how much vanilla you want) and stir that in and then divide it into 4 servings onto parchment paper (you could use waxed paper but I find the parchment paper works better). I refrigerate them and then eat one on heavy workout days. This is a very intense chocolate and I make it as bitter as I can stand it. Sometimes, I add powdered espresso to it to give it an extra kick (it intensifies the chocolate flavor). You really can't eat more than one piece of this chocolate and it is very satisfying. Unsweetened chocolate and dextrose can be gotten at your local bulk food store. (Sometimes the dextrose/glucose is called "corn sugar" ---but not to be confused with high fructose corn syrup solids--totally different substance. The hfcs lobby group wanted to call hfcs "corn sugar" but, so far, the FDA has turned them down so as not to confuse hfcs with dextrose/glucose.) The caloric hit is less than 200 calories.

Thank you, will definitely give this a try

Whoops---I just noticed that I said to use 1/3 of a cup of glucose--it should have read,"3 TBS to 1/3 of a cup" of glucose, depending on how sweet you like it. I usually use only 3 TBS for 4 oz. of chocolate for me, but when I make some for my husband, I use 1/3 of a cup.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes do it for me. I use a frozen banana (that'll make it crazy creamy!), a cup of skim milk, and a serving of peanut butter if I've got calories to spare, and that does it for me. Quite similar in consistency to an ice cream shake and the flavor is great. If you're not interested in protein, a scoop of Nestle quick powder, or something like that, is great too (my kids love it).

Good luck! :)
  • omanitshann
    Options
    dark chocolate<3
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Today I had an orange with my lunch, and it was deliciously sweet. Then I decided to follow it up with a chocolate covered marshmallow. Just comparing the two so close together, the orange was sooo much better! I haven't had a lot of sugary stuff lately, and the marshmallow was just too much.
    Something I really enjoy is a bowl of frozen blueberries, heated up, and then I add a little liquid stevia and a dollop or two of nonfat cool whip. Very yummy!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • GaJavaGirl
    Options
    Slice a banana and place on waxed paper. Drizzle a small amount of chocolate syrup on each piece, then freeze all of them. A few pieces should satisfy your craving. You can also use peanut butter on top or even crushed graham crackers. All are yummy, sweet and not bad for you.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow Lowfat Mint Truffle Bars, or Lowfat Chocolate Pudding
  • mgpage
    mgpage Posts: 123
    Options
    South Beach has dark chocolate covered sunflower seeds and soy nuts. Only 100 calories and usually does it for me. I tried the mashed bananas and oats cookies and they were nasty. However, the muffins made with a chocolate cake mix and Libby's 100% pure pumpkin was pretty good.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    No Sugar Added Fudgesicles - 40 calories each and taste awesome!!!!!!
  • I love sherbet and TCBY frozen yogurt. Also, graham crackers and I have recently feel in love with the Special K fruit crisps!
  • mrswhitmore
    mrswhitmore Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I mix peanut butter and whipped cream or cool whip. It's quick and filling. Make as much or as little as you want. Also, lately I've been drying fruit in a dehydrator. Yummy!
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Everything single serve lol. It tastes so much better when you can eat the WHOLE thing. And single serve packs of cookies and pudding. I have a thing for whipped cream and marshmallows those are low in fat so I usually add them to puddings and cookes.
  • Maxieboy123
    Options
    Sugar free hot chocolate is good because you get a dairy serving in and you can't chug it.
    Extra Dessert Deights gum is weirdly good for about 5 minutes, sometimes enough to get you past a craving. They have a root beer float flavor that's good- also a key lime, lemon bar, an orange dreamsicle type...I can't stand the apple pie though.
  • getfitgal123
    getfitgal123 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Here are my go-to options and they have no added sugar.

fat free plain greek yogurt mixed with instant sugar free jello or sugar free pudding mix to taste.
    SF lemon jello is really good. So is SF chocolate fudge pudding and SF pistachio pudding.

apple "baked" in microwave for a minute or two. topped with cinnamon and a glaze made from 1 tsp melted coconut oil + truvia.

sugar free popsicles
  • tharrington82
    tharrington82 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hot chocolate....there are so many different kinds. You can get sugar free for 25 calories or if you want a splurge there are flavors for roughly 140 calories like mint or raspberry. It's hot so it takes a while to consume. PERFECT!!!!