What's the single most effective change you've made?

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Realizing that there's a difference between "I could live like this (the eating, logging, exercise) indefinitely" and "I am going to live like this (the eating, the logging, the exercise) forever." Once I realized that version one was a clever way of lying to myself, and adopted version two, the weight of the world came off of me in terms of rate of weight loss, etc. It doesn't matter how fast it happens. It will happen.
  • keepitnewmarcia
    keepitnewmarcia Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Started walking a mile plus every day at work with a friend; she's a talker and it is fun and entertaining walking with someone. Also, the accountability helps. If I didn't know there was someone there expecting me, counting on me to walk every day, I would find it easier to talk myself out of it.
  • Pepper150
    Options
    Well really three things but #1 portion control and then protein every meal and 3 fruit a day
  • donnadawson7399
    Options
    Cutting out fast food, cleansing out my body, and exercising 30 minutes a day.
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    developing a routine. I get out of bed every am and before I can think straight I'm in the gym. That way I have no time to talk myself out of it because the laundry needs folding, dishes need washed, floor needs hoovering ect. Then after I have a filling smoothie homemade with spinach, flax seed and some frozen berries while I ice my knees. I don't feel right if I don't start my day this way!
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Mine's a bit different. It was a change in attitude I guess. I've done the yoyo thing for years. Lose the weight, swear I was never going "back there" again, and did it anyway. This time seems different. At times, when the weight wasn't dropping off, I just relaxed and figured my body was adjusting itself and, sure enough, pounds would begin to drop off again. I'd always keep "fat clothes" in a box...just in case...and they'd always be out and used again. I've relaxed about the whole thing, taken the fear of regaining the weight out of my head, and even though I could stand to lose a few more pounds, the fifty-four I've taken off have not reappeared in over 9 months...a record for me. If I a gain a couple pounds, I immediately get back to watching my meals a little more carefully and they drop off again. I think when I tell myself, "Never again," this time I will follow through.
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    The most effective change for me has been logging every single thing I eat here on MFP.
  • hunterjumper642
    hunterjumper642 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Planning meals in advance.....it helps, also, if you go ahead and enter it into your food diary. That way, you won't be as inclined to have to add extra calories that you've eaten.

Also....drinking water. drink as much water as you possibly can. I carry a bottle around wherever I go and I drink a lot of tea as well.
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    1st writing a food diary ( couldn't live without now)
    2nd running
    3rd joining the gym
  • brewman01
    brewman01 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I make all of my meals that I take to work on Sunday. I freeze them and pull them on the way out the door. Even breakfast and snacks. Makes decisions easy.
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    first 50 lbs

- switching to whole food diet (cutting out refined carbs and crap sugar and packaged foods)

gained 10 lbs

getting going again (down another 16 lbs)

-joining mfp and track nearly everything
    -changing positions at work so I have the opportunity to go to the gym everyday at lunch
  • leslieschoenle
    leslieschoenle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i had the same effects... i was a bottle drinker and probably drinking about 3 bottles of Mt. Dew a day! i haven't had any pop since Jan. 9th, 2013 and haven't smoked a cigarette since that day either! talk about a rough couple weeks following that was! :)