Selfish-ness

atamrowski
atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
What do you consider selfish behavior? How do you differentiate between selfishness vs. narcissist? Conceited vs confident.?

I ask because I know of someone who is all the above, in my eyes. This person is an important person in my life but only seems to care about herself. The type that only reaches out to friends/family when something is needed. There's no initiation on her part to just say hi and see how others are doing; only responds when the other party reaches out to them first.

Your problems are nothing compared to hers. Put yourself in her shoes and see what she has to do (single mother). It's been like this for many years and it gets to a point where it's exhausting. I finally said "I am going to evict the people that live rent free in my mind and my life" and focus on myself. Am I being selfish?

Just a point to ponder and get your feedback.

Replies

• Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    I think we are all selfish to a point. We do the right thing because we have been programmed to know that it is the right thing to do, but that doesn't necessarily mean that our motives are pure.

Narcissism, not sure I really know anyone truly narcissistic...as in can not pull themselves away from their reflection and are madly in love with themselves. Conceited howeve, yes, I know people like this. I find that the difference between them and the confident people I know is that the ones who are confident don't crave/demand/expect as much recognition/attention.

Having said all that, when I talk to someone who is my truest-bluest-deepest friend, I have no expectations on them to call first, because I thought that they should. If I want to talk, I call, and if they need to vent/talk/cry/ask for help, then I welcome it, and do help, because they are my friend, and I care for them no matter what. When things in their life calm down, then maybe they will be more able to return the initiated calls or whatever, but I never keep score, and if it were life or death or something like that, I woudln't hesitate to call.

So, are you being selfish? Probably, but like I said, I truly believe that we all are selfish in a sense. Maybe it's time to think about all the ways this person is important to you, and an important part of your life, and not worry so much about who picks up the phone first.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    This should be good. Y'all hold on while I grab some popcorn.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Yay I'm selfish!!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member

:laugh:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member

Grab me some.... *slides up a chair all giddy with anticipation*
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Everything I do has a selfish purpose and I'm one of the most narcissistic people ever... Do I win the prize? :laugh:
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    tumblr_lu6o8ydL4i1qhxn4f.gif
  • kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member

^^This:)
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    So my not wanting to have kids. While I realize I have selfish motive, I don't want to share my millions or ruin my bidness or anything (No, I'm not saying all mom's have ruined bidness. So hush)

BUT. I recognize it enough to not spawn. Doesn't that give me brownie points or something? I think it's a pretty selfless thing not to bring a child into a world where I really don't want it. Not everybody is made to be a mother.
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member

Grab me some.... *slides up a chair all giddy with anticipation*

Scoot over...let's watch. Who's the man with the popcorn? Hi I'm Cliff can i share.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    So my not wanting to have kids. While I realize I have selfish motive, I don't want to share my millions or ruin my bidness or anything (No, I'm not saying all mom's have ruined bidness. So hush)

BUT. I recognize it enough to not spawn. Doesn't that give me brownie points or something? I think it's a pretty selfless thing not to bring a child into a world where I really don't want it. Not everybody is made to be a mother.
    You get brownie points from me. Parenting is hard, even for people who always wanted children. So.....
  • smittieaj
    smittieaj Posts: 151 Member

Scoot over...let's watch. Who's the man with the popcorn? Hi I'm Cliff can i share.

Sorry, but the show isn't free. You can't watch unless you contribute to the trolling or buy a ticket.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Not selfish. It's called doing whatever the *kitten* you want because it's your life.

Why would you keep someone around who is only there to suck life out of you and not breathe life into you?

Ditch them.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Great generalization....Bless your heart.:flowerforyou:
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    People who don't want to get married.
    People who don't want to have kids.
    People who don't want to beleive Christianity.

Stuff like that.

Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear—

1 Peter 3:3
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member

*pulls up a chair*
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    People who don't want to get married.
    People who don't want to have kids.
    People who don't want to beleive Christianity.

Stuff like that.

Ummmm......

BRB, gotta go get saved, get married and reproduce for the sake of unselfishness.
  • Cliffslosinit

Sorry, but the show isn't free. You can't watch unless you contribute to the trolling or buy a ticket.

Hi newb, get me a beer.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Scoot on in, Cliff. Play with my hair while you're here....

judge.png