hey Ya'll I'm Fixin' to get me a Coke

Options
124»

Replies

• LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    And all the talk of Big Red 1. makes me want to try it (I should be able to find it somewhere around here) and 2. makes me remember that CHEERWINE is the "Big Red" of the Carolinas. :wink: YUM! I :heart: Cheerwine.

Once I was carrying a 12 pack of it into my dorm & the security officer stopped me. She thought it was alcoholic. :laugh: I was like "Ma'am, Cheerwine is cherry flavored soda." Yep, in the south, we call all women "ma'am." I try not to do it because so many people who aren't southern seem to find it offensive (like I'm calling them old.. but I say it when talking to women younger than me, too!). :laugh:
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Ok, I grew up (in West Texas) and have always said "ya'll" and spelled it that way, NO not Y apostrophe ALL....regardless of my husband's corrections!

The hubs grew up in upstate NY...now that's hilarious! (no offense, so don't go off on me)...he still says EARL, get it.

Anyway, I also say "fixin'" WITHOUT the g...

& when I ask him to bring me a "COKE" I don't want the brand! I want a Big Red (fairly exclusive to Texas)...

I LOVE THIS KINDA STUFF...the hubs says that Texas "AIN'T" the only place with this kind of nutty stuff...

What can "Ya'll" share...?!

I'd love to educate myself
    It is ya'll I promise tell your husband it's not you all which would be y'all it's ya'll as in "ya'll come with me I'm goin' joggin' LOL!! I totally get you my hubby's from Cali. It is halarious! I went to the dr about 6 mos ago and had to have my appendix removed. When I had stayed overnight to "heal" the doc came in to check me and he said "Hey Ya'll wana go to the house?" I know what he meant he was sayin' "OK time for you to go home!" My husband thought he was asking us over to his home. It was really cute!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    @LittleSpy :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: All TRUE! And yes, I say/have heard all of those phrases and I say heebie jeebies :tongue:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    And all the talk of Big Red 1. makes me want to try it (I should be able to find it somewhere around here) and 2. makes me remember that CHEERWINE is the "Big Red" of the Carolinas. :wink: YUM! I :heart: Cheerwine.

Once I was carrying a 12 pack of it into my dorm & the security officer stopped me. She thought it was alcoholic. :laugh: I was like "Ma'am, Cheerwine is cherry flavored soda." Yep, in the south, we call all women "ma'am." I try not to do it because so many people who aren't southern seem to find it offensive (like I'm calling them old.. but I say it when talking to women younger than me, too!). :laugh:

Hehe...so true. I don't mind being called ma'am. I LOVE cheerwine (it's one of the few soda products I drink and I'm from Georgia the land of Coke-and yes we say Coke for every softdrink). My hubby is from Durham NC and lived off Cheerwine growing up...we now have it in our local Publix, so how he has a little bit of home.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Ok, I grew up (in West Texas) and have always said "ya'll" and spelled it that way, NO not Y apostrophe ALL....regardless of my husband's corrections!

The hubs grew up in upstate NY...now that's hilarious! (no offense, so don't go off on me)...he still says EARL, get it.

Anyway, I also say "fixin'" WITHOUT the g...

& when I ask him to bring me a "COKE" I don't want the brand! I want a Big Red (fairly exclusive to Texas)...

I LOVE THIS KINDA STUFF...the hubs says that Texas "AIN'T" the only place with this kind of nutty stuff...

What can "Ya'll" share...?!

I'd love to educate myself

@KIMBERSNEWLIFE RE:
    It is ya'll I promise tell your husband it's not you all which would be y'all it's ya'll as in "ya'll come with me I'm goin' joggin' LOL!! I totally get you my hubby's from Cali. It is halarious! I went to the dr about 6 mos ago and had to have my appendix removed. When I had stayed overnight to "heal" the doc came in to check me and he said "Hey Ya'll wana go to the house?" I know what he meant he was sayin' "OK time for you to go home!" My husband thought he was asking us over to his home. It was really cute![/quote]

We discuss this endlessly! & laugh hysterically...when he leaves for work I tell him, "Ya'll do good today," & he says there's only me...so I tell him, "Well I can't say Ya do good today! how dumb would that be?!"

too funny! thanks girl!
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Ok, How did Big Red get so outside of Texas? Do ya'll see Justin Boots?

too funny! someone a few posts back mentioned that, after moving up north she had to go thru speech to be understood...

so true! my kids started school in the UK and picked it up so much that only thru speech therapy could they get straightened out! There ain't nothing like a good ol' Texas gal with a spinkle of Brit in her speech...priceless.

Thanks, all of ya'll, for sharing and educating me on so many beautiful colloquialisms! They are just beautiful :happy: & quite hysterical:laugh:
  • xecila
    xecila Posts: 99
    Options
    It's so funny that when you start naming all those things, I realized I didn't even think to write them here because although I don't say them, I hear them so often they're normal to me. You mean not everyone says taters and maters? :laugh:

And you know, *BEFORE* Larry the Cable Guy was around, people really did say "get 'er done." I mean, they still do, but I don't know whether they're making a little joke or if they would have said that anyway.

And one thing my Blues professor in college said he loved so much about southern speak (he was from Switzerland -- yes, an awesome blues harmonica player from switzerland. youtube Walt Liniger if you're interested) is the phrase "Bless your heart." He said southerners pull off the timing of that phrase so that it comes across so appropriate and so sweet and so perfect but when anyone else tries to use it, they just sound like a condescending douche. :laugh: "Bless his/her/your/their heart"

Oh, and in the south the word "ill" doesn't mean sick, it means angry or irritable. So, if you say "I'm feeling a little ill," people aren't going to ask you what's wrong or if there's anything they can do for you, they're just going to walk on eggshells around you until it seems like you're in a better mood. :laugh:

Also, there are all kinds of stupid phrases people say in the south that will make you think "WTF?!" every time you hear them. Like "I'm happier than a tick on a fat dog" and "Don't just sit there like a bump on a log." I've also heard "Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit." WHAT?! Haha "Gooder'n grits."

An example of how a southerner would call a woman unattractive is "Bless her heart, she fell out of the ugly tree & hit every branch on the way down."

It's so much fun to think about this stuff. I never really thought about all the silly things that are said down here. I'm going to enjoy listening to people talk more now. :smile:

You forgot my all-time favorite: "Happier than a pig in *kitten*."

And I can't believe no one's mentioned "ain't".
  • elf1590
    elf1590 Posts: 28
    Options
    a pretty cool write up about "Appalachian English"

Appalachian English has long been derided as an inferior dialect.[citation needed] Detractors both within and outside of the speaking area mistakenly cite laziness, lack of education, and the region's relative isolation as reasons for the dialect's existence. Writers throughout the 20th century have used the dialect as the chosen speech of uneducated and unsophisticated characters. While research has largely disproven these stereotypes, use of the Appalachian dialect is still often an impediment to educational and social advancement.[1]

Extensive research has been conducted since the 1930s to determine the origin of the Appalachian dialect. One theory is that the dialect is a remnant of Elizabethan (or Shakespearean) English that had been preserved by the region's isolation.[2][3] Another theory suggests that the dialect developed out of the Scots-Irish and Anglo-Scottish border dialects brought to the region by some of its earliest British Isles settlers.[4] Recent research suggests that Appalachian English developed as a uniquely American dialect as early settlers re-adapted the English language to their unfamiliar frontier environment. This is supported by numerous similarities between the Appalachian dialect and Colonial American English.[5]

So see, we're not un-educated -- we talk just like Shakespeare :P And you can definitely tell when someone isn't from Appalachia by the way they pronounce it. We pronounce it "apple-latcha" ....well...kinda haha thats the best phonetic spelling i could come up with lol the mountains are "appa-latch-uns" instead of "apple-ations"

Don't forget (pronounced fur-git) hollow is pronounced "holler". a town nearby spelled Dante is actually pronounced "daint" rather than "don-tay"

i wear tennis shoes, drink pop, and the only tea around here is sweet tea and yeah, it's cold. i put groceries in a poke (bag) and then the buggy to take em to the car. i make bacon in a skillet instead of a pan.

i've got friends in north carolina (just a hop skip and jump away.....about 3 hours) and gotta say cheerwine and sun drop are excellent!

my granny (grandmother to some of you) said "haint" instead of ghost.

words like greasy and easy are pronounced with more of a Z than an S sound "greezy" and "eazy"

often times you'll hear people around here say things like "he don't know no better" instead of any...and have trouble with IS and ARE. ex: apples is good for ya. we is goin to get (git) some.

a lot of folks around here use double nouns...like hound dog, widow (widder) woman, or rifle gun.

we say things like young'uns instead of children. big'uns instead of big ones.

the word Right emphasizes adjectives. it's right cold. that music's right loud.

"directly" = later. i'll get to the dishes directly.

instead of skipping school or work, we're "layin out"

whistle pig is another word for groundhog, and polecat is another word for skunk

i get chillbumps, not goosebumps. carry a backpack instead of a bookbag, and a pocketbook instead of a purse