What is the WORST food and nutrition advice....

Options
12345679»

Replies

• error_number_404
    Options
    basically everything everybody has ever said in the forums ever.

"omg u will go into starvation mode if u eat under 1200 calories and then when u go back to eating normal (aka the mcdonalds every day and 5 twinkies before bed diet) u will gain it all back. starving only makes u gain weight!! and coffee makes u fat"
  • kristirlk
    kristirlk Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Wasn't given to me directly, but "Take this pill so you won't digest fats, oh and don't worry about anal leakage, just wear brown pants."

WTH?? LOL
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    Any 'diet' with a name attached to it and celebrity endorsements. Any diet requiring you to 'cut out' entire food groups. Anything blabbing about certain foods being 'inflammatory'. Huge rolleyes.
    My pet peeves are the low carb craze (uh whatever) and the obsession with 1200 calories. What is this magic number?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Eat way less to lose weight, you're short and sedentary so you must eat at *insert depressingly low number*. Also turn into a hungry raging monster who no one can stand to be around. I, as a general rule, don't do less than 1600, and usually around 1800.

Don't eat carbs. Or dairy. Or fruit. Or meat. Or fat. Or I could eat all the things.

Eat clean.
  • ChubbieCanuck
    ChubbieCanuck Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The worst advice I ever got was "Hey, stay fat, everybody likes you fat n' funny. I even took a job as an actor once where I contractually had to GAIN WEIGHT!
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Only eat raw food because cooking destroys nutrients and causes cancer and created a hole in the ozone and kicks puppies. And baby ducks.

Props to you for having the will power to eat a 100% raw vegan diet, but I can't. And I don't wanna. And bacon. And hot food. I love hot food.
  • SteviMcEwan
    Options
    That's what I figured. I looked at the label, and it's got guarana in it. Basically a very concentrated form of caffiene. I guess you could burn 80 calories fidgeting for the next 3 hours.

LAWL this made me giggle out loud!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    That if I followed some bizarre new age diet with a lot of food restrictions, this will cure my allergies to animals.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    eat 1200 calories. everyone else can do it, so can you.

I couldn't do it. I tried on and off for a year. yep, all of 2012 I was trying. it just wasn't for me, I was so hungry, so angry and would binge like crazy. I have been eating around 1800 a day, sometimes more, sometimes less. And the weight has been falling off.

I am not bashing 1200. but man was it a terrible thing for ME to read, it took a year to shake it and get it out of my head that if I couldn't do it at 1200 then I was a failure.

ur lucky your body responds to more calories....I was doing 1500 and gaining, so went to 1200 in june and barely eat any exercise calories back to lose weight...im within my IBW, however would like to lost about 15 pounds to be at the lower end...im 5'6 and not very active...ie, desk job at home 40 hours a week
  • levelene2
    levelene2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    "I'm on a 500 calorie a day diet for 30 days and only eat salad and crunchy breadsticks. I'm so hungry though!"

Wonder why? geez....
  • anna_conkers
    anna_conkers Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you do a bit of exercise, you can eat anything you want, as much as you want.
  • MamaMaryC
    MamaMaryC Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that I should never eat after 5 pm. He recommended I eat 1000 to 1500 calories to maintain. Um... I totally eat after 5 every single night. I eat 1850 to 2100 to maintain.
  • martinbeks
    martinbeks Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    My old roommate kept on me to use Ally to lose weight, but I don't like taking chemicals if I don't have to, and my mother had a coworker who died from taking it, so I will pass, eat clean and lift heavy.
  • AnaCoffee
    AnaCoffee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that I should never eat after 5 pm. He recommended I eat 1000 to 1500 calories to maintain. Um... I totally eat after 5 every single night. I eat 1850 to 2100 to maintain.
    WTF? :noway: Most people aren't even off of work, let alone home, by that time to start making dinner. Bet your doc eats after 5 pm considering he/she probably has late office hours and sees patients at the hospital.

Sorry, just had to jump on this one. It's the earliest "don't eat after a certain time" I've ever heard of. :grumble:
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    GM Diet / Any Kind of Detox. Did the GM and literally wanted to punch myself in the face for following it through. Lost like 2 lbs in a week and gained it back the second I went off of it.

"During the first seven days you must abstain from all alcohol
    You must drink 10 glasses of water each day
    Day One All fruits except bananas. Your first day will consist of all the fruits you want. It is strongly suggested that you consume lots of melons the first day. Especially watermelon and a loupe. If you limit your fruit consumption to melons, your chances of losing three lbs. on first day are very good.

Day Two All vegetables. You are encouraged to eat until you are stuffed with all the raw or cooked vegetables of your choice. There is no limit on the amount or type. For your complex carbohydrate, you will start day two with a large baked potato for breakfast. You may top the potato with one pat of butter.

Day Three A mixture of fruits and vegetables of your choice. Any amount, any quantity. No bananas yet. No potatoes today.

Day Four Bananas and milk. Today you will eat as many as eight bananas and drink three glasses of milk. This will be combined with the special soup which may be eaten in limited quantities.

Day Five Today is feast day. You will eat beef and tomatoes. Eat two 10 oz. portions of lean beef. Hamburger is OK. Combine this with six whole tomatoes. On day five you must increase your water intake by one quart. This is to cleanse your system of the uric acid you will be producing.

Day Six Beef and vegetables. Today you may eat an unlimited amount of beef and vegetables. Eat to your hearts content.

Day Seven Today your food intake will consist of brown rice, fruit juices and all the vegetables you care to consume."

The wonder soup : The following soup is intended as a supplement to your diet. It can be eaten any time of the day in virtually unlimited quantities. You are encouraged to consume large quantities of this soup.

28 oz, Water, 6 Large Onions, 2 Green Peppers, Whole Tomatoes (fresh or canned), 1 Head Cabbage, 1 Bunch Celery, 4 Envelopes Lipton Onion Soup Mix, Herbs and Flavouring as desired.

Anything "UNLIMITED" is bad bad bad.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Worst was an excercise thing. when i was thinner, i was walking to work (4 miles); plus walking 8 miles on saturday and also walking from the train to my job on other times plus going out and walking 1/2 hour at lunch time;

then i went to a gym and a trainer - and i say that loosely because of her next comment which was totally potentially discouraging and made me feel like giving up with all the hard work i was doing for nothing); she told me my walking was doing me not much good because i was not in the gym to be able to get the much higher intensity and being able to guage it on the workout machines,,

but i think she was making a thoughtless sales pitch, for her to tell me after I had worked so hard walking outside by the lakefront here in chicago, putting up with not taking the bus to work (on the bus all i'd be doing is sitting for the ride) and getting tired and sweaty, and here this beyotch made such a stupid statement, enough that for a minute there i thought of quitting my hard work outside.. but i didn't .
  • peanutbutterrunna
    Options
    Here's a new one: "don't eat apples after 3pm or else the sugar will be stored as fat."
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Paleo.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    funny this thing popped up today..i just had a friend tell me..that her PT adviced her not to eat anything (or no-carb atleast) after 4 PM..right 4 PM!!!!
    it is believed that the earlier you eat in the day, the faster it gets burnt off...hmmm :S
    also, all the food eaten at night gets converted to fat!!!

This is what i have been pretty much hearing my entire life though..even celebreties in our country, give out this sort of fitness advices..alas!! good i have learnt so much from MFP