Bench Press.... are they idiots, or am I???

Options

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    They are idiots. Unless they are on roids, "cheating" or having bad form will hurt muscle and strength gains. Yeah they prolly look strong but they probably have been doing that for years, and probably should be bigger/stronger than what they are now if they used a lower weight, went full ROM and used proper form and technique. Using bad form will get you hurt in the long run as well. If they are barbell benching more than 50% or so of what they can bench with dumbbells, they are doing it wrong.

so if you use roids, then bad form suddenly becomes okay, but if you're natural it won't have a positive effect?

pls go.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options

Heaviest situps I'll ever do - my bodyweight plus 60kg an arm :laugh:

People look at me like I'm an alien in my gym (and I've gotten comments too about it being "weird") when I don't drop the DB's when I do DB bench.

If for anything else I don't want to work out with a bent DB the next time I grab them...
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    They are idiots. Unless they are on roids, "cheating" or having bad form will hurt muscle and strength gains. Yeah they prolly look strong but they probably have been doing that for years, and probably should be bigger/stronger than what they are now if they used a lower weight, went full ROM and used proper form and technique. Using bad form will get you hurt in the long run as well. If they are barbell benching more than 50% or so of what they can bench with dumbbells, they are doing it wrong.

so if you use roids, then bad form suddenly becomes okay, but if you're natural it won't have a positive effect?

pls go.

^ :laugh:
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I just think anyone who throws DBs down is a complete tool. Of course if you are star, and you are well known, can afford to replace the weights and the gym want you to look like some bad *kitten* in their gym fine! But holding DBs weighing at times up to 60-70kg above my face that wobble and look broken, not for me. I like having a face!
  • linseylucia
    linseylucia Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    To my understanding, full ROM is definitely best for the bench press, but Crossfit is an entirely different can of worms.

Crossfit isn't a "new" way of lifting by any means, but Crossfitters do workout much differently than a traditional gym rat. It's just a different school of thought. For example, Crossfitters, as well as competitive lifters, normally will go below parallel with their squats (extending below a 90 degree angle), whereas you generally will get a lot of flack for going below parallel at the gym.

Crossfit is an excellent conditioning program for law enforcement and military as well as anyone who wants to be in amazing shape, but it can also be dangerous if the workouts are not performed correctly.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Dunno if I should admit it here but I don't let the bar touch my chest when I bench - am I bad?

Just fyi I am talking about chicken chested guys going less than halfway down, there is no method to the training for them.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Dunno if I should admit it here but I don't let the bar touch my chest when I bench - am I bad?

Just fyi I am talking about chicken chested guys going less than halfway down, there is no method to the training for them.

Cool beans!

FWIW I said that not to anyone, but in jest on the general tone of the thread :o)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Wait, so you're claiming that you actually lift? Provide links or never happened

OK :wink:

Barbell
    http://youtu.be/JVbPyAStS4I

Dumbells
    http://youtu.be/kBs5dtuJwI4

Whelllllp. That happened. Totally.

But I'm sure the methodology you used to achieve such gains are rooted in bioscience and therefore invalidated
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    What I have found works best for me is to put four 45's on each side, then just sort of walk around the bench a lot and stretch. Then once someome I want to impress comes by, I offload the 45's grunting about how tired and torn up I am.

Form and control mean nothing. You have to look impressive. All that counts.

Do you work out at my gym?! I swear I see guys doing this ALL THE TIME!!

When I see those dudes pulling their "these chicks can't even stand how badass I am right now". I walk up all fat and unkept, smile at them and hit up some paused reps with 405. Their stiffies go limp so fast, it's hilarious.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    TUT in the fact that you want the muscle under tension at all times - bouncing is not controlled though

and locking out I've heard strains your joints more. I don't have any scientific articals or what have you - I just follow it

If you are under control, you can reach full extension without "locking out".
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    For example, Crossfitters, as well as competitive lifters, normally will go below parallel with their squats (extending below a 90 degree angle), whereas you generally will get a lot of flack for going below parallel at the gym.

What gym is this? A high bar full olympic squat goes all the way down. If you catch flack it's because those criticising you don't have the mobility to achieve this, so they think that you are going to hurt yourself like they would if they tried.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Its a METHOD used to keep the muscle under tension throughout the whole movement . stop judging and try it , u will see results .
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

So...much...win...
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    So many uninformed in this thread. Good job to those who actually know what they are talking about.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

Hmmm.

He has no chest?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Hmmm.

He has no chest?

Can't judge a person's knowledge by their physique.

And thank you for explaining the PL method Ilovedeadlifts.

Me personally, I pause my first rep of every set and touch and go for the following ones.
  • YouGonnaEatThat
    Options
    No, they should not be bouncing it off their chest.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

Hmmm.

He has no chest?

Can't judge a person's knowledge by their physique.

And thank you for explaining the PL method Ilovedeadlifts.

Me personally, I pause my first rep of every set and touch and go for the following ones.

Of course you can't judge it just by their physique. But it helps show they may have an inkling.