Bench Press.... are they idiots, or am I???

Options
12346»

Replies

• XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I crossfit and can assure you we don't bounce our BP.
    Maybe untrained muscle heads who think they are crossfitting do.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

Hmmm.

He has no chest?

Can't judge a person's knowledge by their physique.

And thank you for explaining the PL method Ilovedeadlifts.

Me personally, I pause my first rep of every set and touch and go for the following ones.

Of course you can't judge it just by their physique. But it helps show they may have an inkling.

Quite right, but to be fair to him, he was bed ridden with a disease for over a year and unable to train for 3 years. But his knowledge is quite vast.

Also, Matt Wild?! Wow man, big fan! Bit of a celebrity moment right here!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    There isn't "bench pressing" in CrossFit. It's not a functional movement.
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I just read the book new rules of lifting for women and in it they said that form wasn't important and locking is okay. I quickly put it down and was thankful I didn't buy it and just got it out at the library because I can't believe that technique isn't important. I then went out and got two more books. In the one it said Don't lock the joints. It says that when you lock the joint you are moving past where your joint normally rests. Locking knees can not only injure the knees but can cause lower back pain. Locking your elbows causes excessive pressure on your elbow joints, tendons and ligaments and doing this too frequently can cause tennis elbow, bursitis. They also said that locking is cheating because it takes the weight off the joint temporarily allowing you to rest. Now, who knows if what i'm reading is correct. Especially since i read two different things in two different books so i'm going to go with the one that makes sense, the second one.
  • DostThouEven
    Options
    Stick to full ROM. They might be working on a particular sticking point, or they might just be idiots.

Yes. There can be some uses for partial ROM lifting, but most of the time you see people doing it, they are probably just idiots.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

But there are pushups???
  • DostThouEven
    Options

By whose definition? Fail...
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been paying attention to some of the "regulars" at the gym while they are lifting. I see a lot of them doing the whole routine where they bounce the bench press off their chest and don't fully extend their arms.....

Now, I've always been under the impression that doing this is basically worthless and a waste of time. I was taught to slowly bring the bar to your chest, then extend until your arms are locked out, then repeat. Basically the same routine for every other lift I do as well. I see more and more people doing it the way I mentioned earlier (without full extension). I've also noticed that with this whole new "crossfit craze", this is basically the "new way" to lift.

So I guess my question is......are they the idiots, or am I? I am so confused

bouncing off the chest is not only dangerous but ridiculous.. anything that uses momentum when lifting takes away from any type of gains... not extending your arms fully however can target the chest better by putting more tension on it when lifting basically staying in the mid-lower part of the rep... this can be used often by someone with a small chest compared to triceps or anyone who wants a larger chest in general.

and for anyone who does not touch the bar to their chest when they bench are setting them self up for failure.. if you do that because of "shoulder pain" or "lack of flexibility" be ready to tear your sh-t up when u have a lot of weight on the bar and go lower than your normal rep mobility goes, you will tear the flesh off the bone.

go all the way down to your chest on every rep.. flat, incline bench or otherwise.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    bouncing off the chest is not only dangerous but ridiculous.. anything that uses momentum when lifting takes away from any type of gains... not extending your arms fully however can target the chest better by putting more tension on it when lifting basically staying in the mid-lower part of the rep... this can be used often by someone with a small chest compared to triceps or anyone who wants a larger chest in general.

and for anyone who does not touch the bar to their chest when they bench are setting them self up for failure.. if you do that because of "shoulder pain" or "lack of flexibility" be ready to tear your sh-t up when u have a lot of weight on the bar and go lower than your normal rep mobility goes, you will tear the flesh off the bone.

go all the way down to your chest on every rep.. flat, incline bench or otherwise.

I agree with your general points, however it should be mentioned that the momentum you refer to isn't always bad. Using the stretch reflex is actually a good thing for moves like the squat.

Additionally I don't think you need to touch the bar to your chest on incline.