So who's upped their calories to lose?

Options
It's a scary thing! lol I was eating around 1250 per day and working out pretty intensely 5-6x a week. Hit a stall and after much research and speaking with experts I am slowly upping my cals to top off at 1800 per day. I still work out 5-6x a day, cardio and weights.

I'd love to hear success stories!

Replies

• rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories and lost 2.2lbs the first week. I was also not hungry and moody because I was eating enough.
  • JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    I recently upped my calories from 1200 to 1325, and its the best thing I could do. I don't feel hungry and have better work outs.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I'm upped mine to 1850. Haven't lost yet, but haven't gained either!
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I was doing the same as you and wasn't losing. I upped my calories from 1200 to 1400 and cut my exercise from 6 days a week to either 4 or 5 days a week and eat back most of my exercise calories. I started lifting weights and lost a few pounds, but my body shape has changed and in 3 weeks I have lost 2 inches around my middle.
  • Icedcoffee29
    Options
    I'm at 1500 this week. I admit I am scared to climb to 1800. LOL
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    ive been between 1800-2000 and lost 20 lbs..

It works as long as you are not choosing a random number to up your cals to and are actually basing the number on calculations about your body and activity level.

It is a 100% mental battle... good luck!
  • kionig
    kionig Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm maintaining at about 1800 per day with no exercise. I cant wait to get physically better so I can go back up to about 2300. Its a bumpy ride and the scale may go up before it goes down, but after about a month for me it was smooth sailing. I had to do a metabolism reset before I could break the plateau though.
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    me too, I use the scooby workshop calculator, and Im doing 5 hrs a week exercise from now on. That gives me 2100cals to eat but im aiming for 2000cals just to be a little under as thats a bit amount for me. Even at goal and exercising 3-5hrs a week Il be able to eat 2100cals so its all good now. It worked great for me the past month of eating tdee minus 20% so im keeping it up
  • Icedcoffee29
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Oh yeah this is all calculated out, not a random #. :)
  • leedebter
    leedebter Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1500 this week. I admit I am scared to climb to 1800. LOL

I went up to 1500 too. It's hard to go higher. I've only been at it 2 weeks. I haven't lost or gained in that time.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I was around 1700-2200 total the entire time I was losing (except maybe those first couple weeks when I was set for 1200 before I knew better). I'm now maintaining eating about 2000-2300 monday through friday and not logging (in other words, probably eating more) on weekends.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I upped mine about 5 days ago and have already lost another 1lb since then.
    Went from 1200 - 1400 and I find now sometimes I struggle to eat all my calories back rather than being miserable and hungry thinking that I'm not allowed anymore food that day.
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I just ate 1500 calories worth of almonds as a snack. So today I'm upping.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I eat about 2100 calories a day. My TDEE ranges from 2300 on a rest day to over 3000 on a very active day. I haven't had any problem losing weight and the fact that I am not starving myself makes it easy to stick with.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Have you read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience

I lost weight eating too little (right at my BMR of 1300 actually), then started gaining once I began "maintenance" calories, ugh..... I did a reset (eating at TDEE for 8 weeks), gained 2 pounds more of water weight...BUT now it's all come back off and I am eating1800 cals a day.

Everyone's, BMR, TDEE and calories will be different but I highly suggest it!
  • Icedcoffee29
    Options
    Have you read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/521728-upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience

I lost weight eating too little (right at my BMR of 1300 actually), then started gaining once I began "maintenance" calories, ugh..... I did a reset (eating at TDEE for 8 weeks), gained 2 pounds more of water weight...BUT now it's all come back off and I am eating1800 cals a day.

Everyone's, BMR, TDEE and calories will be different but I highly suggest it!

Thanks for the link!
  • Bssh
    Bssh Posts: 123
    Options
    Me. I must admit I've never "undereaten" so when MFP put me on 1200 cals I saw red. I worked out my TDEE and ate at 10-15% cut of that - around 1800-2200 cals on average, often more - and lost weight (see my ticker) even when MFP told me daily I'd put weight ON with the amount I was eating LOL.
  • Icedcoffee29
    Options
    Me. I must admit I've never "undereaten" so when MFP put me on 1200 cals I saw red. I worked out my TDEE and ate at 10-15% cut of that - around 1800-2200 cals on average, often more - and lost weight (see my ticker) even when MFP told me daily I'd put weight ON with the amount I was eating LOL.

MFP likes to mess with your mind! LOL

Great to hear!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I didn't lose anything at 1800 calories while doing p90x for 90 days. I upped it to 2600 calories and did CLX and lose 16lbs and 3% body fat in 90 days. It's not bad when you only have 30 lbs to lose.
  • juliebahr
    juliebahr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just ate 1500 calories worth of almonds as a snack. So today I'm upping.

I thought I was the only person who did that!