So who's upped their calories to lose?

Options

Replies

• dangerouscurvesNZ
    dangerouscurvesNZ Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Awesome thanks! Looks like my tdee is 2400, no wonder I am tired and emo at 1300. Will aim to eat all my exercise calories (total will be around 1700) and see if that makes a difference.
  • Icedcoffee29
    Options
    Little update here. After a month + Plateau I was DOWN -3.6lbs this morning and hit 61 lbs lost. So upping those calories worked for me. Upping a little more this week.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I did and guess what? I gained weight.

How much did you up them by?
    Was is still under your TDEE?
    and how long did you give it?
  • Icedcoffee29
    Options
    I'm not sure I can eat 1700 calories a day. No really. Any tips how to get high good calories in?
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I can eat 1700 calories a day. No really. Any tips how to get high good calories in?

There are a bunch of threads about this on the forums already, so for a more detailed list, check there by doing a search, but in short: nuts, avocados, full fat dairy, jerky, sweet potatoes, dried fruit, granola, trail mix, chocolate, etc. Small, calorie dense foods can get you there easily!
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    MFP put me on 1370. My excercise varies day to day so I changed to eating BmR + 50 which worked out almost the same as TDEE-200 -20%. I minus 200 after reading something online that suggested that your TDEE is about that much different to a 'normal' metabolism when you have the thyroid trouble I have. I'd stalled at about 6 kg lost and gone up and down a bit but since then i've lost a kg about every 6 days.

My BMR is now about 1750 but I've left my cals at 1850 for now. My TDEE is between 2400 and 2600 depending on my excercise. I try and have a 1000 cal deficit so I try and do an average of 300 cal excercise a day. I don't eat those back, but I don't sweat it if i've gone a few cal over.

I'm never hungry, I'm never 'hangry', I don't feel deprived, I look awesome and feel amazing. And I eat peanut butter by the spoonful, which is awesome :)
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Little update here. After a month + Plateau I was DOWN -3.6lbs this morning and hit 61 lbs lost. So upping those calories worked for me. Upping a little more this week.

that's great! weirdly, same issue/same result (3 lbs)- just tracking to see if its water weight or not.
  • Eatkansasbeef
    Eatkansasbeef Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Read later
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I just added 400 calories but I will see if it works or not.......
  • Gatus98
    Gatus98 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It's a scary thing! lol I was eating around 1250 per day and working out pretty intensely 5-6x a week. Hit a stall and after much research and speaking with experts I am slowly upping my cals to top off at 1800 per day. I still work out 5-6x a day, cardio and weights.

I'd love to hear success stories!
    Same here. I was losing the first couple of weeks, and have been at 136 for the past two weeks in spite of staying between 1200-1400 calories. I was trying NOT to eat back my excercise calories, but I'm thinking that I should start and see what happens. Many people say that one should eat at a 20% of his/her TDEE. That would give me around 1550 calories a day, versus 1200.
  • inksyrup
    inksyrup Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Need to bump this so I can go back and re-read!

I'm really confused about my BMR/TDEE, though. Last time I calculated it, my BMR is 1,250 or so without exercise. My TDEE is around 1,500. It's hard to find out what I should do--if I should just keep doing what I'm doing or if I should try upping my intake. I'm not looking to lose weight really, just inches.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I did. From 1200 to 1400. Not sure how's it's working yet. It hasn't been a full week.
  • shariannamarie
    Options
    Great post!!! Thank you!!! Think I am going to up mine from 1200 to 1600.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Upped my calories to gain and I ended up loosing more first.
  • Icedcoffee29
    Options

There are a bunch of threads about this on the forums already, so for a more detailed list, check there by doing a search, but in short: nuts, avocados, full fat dairy, jerky, sweet potatoes, dried fruit, granola, trail mix, chocolate, etc. Small, calorie dense foods can get you there easily!

Thank you!!
  • Icedcoffee29
    Options
    Upped my calories to gain and I ended up loosing more first.

Loosing more at first only? Or more than you did ever before?
  • kazitykaz
    kazitykaz Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories this week on peoples advice and only lost 0.25 lb. i used to just eat the recommended 1200 calories but this week tried to net 1200, so eat my exercise calories back.

This week:

Sunday ate 1302 calories, net 1201
    Monday ate 1544 calories, net 1200
    Tuesday ate 1782 calories, net 1304
    Wednesday ate 1583 calories, net 1583
    Thursday ate 1217 calories, net 165
    Friday ate 1070 calories, net 837
    Saturday ate 2142 calories, net 1341

I ate under my net some days to account for what I had eaten over my net on other days. Need to lose another 25 lbs and I have no idea why progress is so slow or what I should do.

Please help as I still don't know what to do.

Thank you
  • Icedcoffee29
    Options
    I upped my calories this week on peoples advice and only lost 0.25 lb. i used to just eat the recommended 1200 calories but this week tried to net 1200, so eat my exercise calories back.

This week:

Sunday ate 1302 calories, net 1201
    Monday ate 1544 calories, net 1200
    Tuesday ate 1782 calories, net 1304
    Wednesday ate 1583 calories, net 1583
    Thursday ate 1217 calories, net 165
    Friday ate 1070 calories, net 837
    Saturday ate 2142 calories, net 1341

I ate under my net some days to account for what I had eaten over my net on other days. Need to lose another 25 lbs and I have no idea why progress is so slow or what I should do.

Please help as I still don't know what to do.

Thank you

From everything i am reading, gaining and not losing for the 1st 3 weeks of upping calories is normal. Your body is adjusting. Give it more time.
  • jcperkns
    jcperkns Posts: 109
    Options
    I've been stuck at the same 129.8 lbs for the past four weeks. My goals were 1400 (by BMR) plus exercise calories. However, I only netted on average around 1200-1300 calories still. Upped my goals to TDEE - 20% starting today which is 1730 calories. I am going to make a conscious effort to eat as close to that as I can and continue my workout schedule of strength training 5 days a week and cardio 1 day a week. Good luck to you!!
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories form 1200 to 1314 recently and well I lost another lb and a half pound so 18 lbs since Jan 1st .Woohoo though I do find it difficult to hit it most days since my body is use to less Im 4ft 10in so 1200 wasnt to hard for me actaully I was eating 1400 before and exercing and well the wieght never moved.I have 2 daughters 19 months apart and the youngest a turns a year old this sat.Im finally able to lose all the baby wieght.Feeling awesome to and well lost 13in off of me too.Im thinking this site works awesome :)