So who's upped their calories to lose?

Options

Replies

• LovinDaNewLiz14
    LovinDaNewLiz14 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    MEEEEE!!!!!!! SO THANKFUL AND GLAD I DID:)

Started at 1350 and now I am at 1850...the weight and inches started falling off, for a week I came to a hault but I LLLLOOOOVVVVEEEE the new me:)
  • grapefruitannie
    grapefruitannie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    ive just up'd mine accordng to my TDEE and the advicce etc on road map and i agree it is very scary.
    i up'd it because i was having hunger signals but my first day trying to eat all the calories and i'm not hungry lol

i am still looking around this site for answers as i do not really understand if i am meant to do it exact ie carbs protein fat sugar or just keep it under the figures.

I do not see the point of eating for the sake of it but i do see the point of listening to your body and eat when hungry.

I suppose my biggest personal scare is that my hunger signals are not really hunger and i will eat more and put on weight IF THAT MAKES SENSE i don't know if it does acually i will keep reading.

Good luck hunny xx
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options
    I was a 1400 when I hit a 3-month plateau. Increased calories to 1500 at the beginning of this week and lost 3 lbs.
  • Dfracassa
    Dfracassa Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1400 right now and even that seems high to me. I have not lost ANY weight in the past few years, though, so anything I can do will be better than nothing. I'd even take a pound, hell. I am getting married in August and so I don't want this crap to take TOO long...
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1400 right now and even that seems high to me. I have not lost ANY weight in the past few years, though, so anything I can do will be better than nothing. I'd even take a pound, hell. I am getting married in August and so I don't want this crap to take TOO long...

If what you've BEEN doing hasn't been working. whats it going to hurt to try a different method..
  • Apples38
    Options
    I so don't get this upping your calories to lose weight! Sorry, total novice here can someone explain please!! :-)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

If what you've BEEN doing hasn't been working. whats it going to hurt to try a different method..

This is EXACTLY why I tried it. I had nothing to lose (so to speak).
  • hannahpark3r
    hannahpark3r Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about! I usually eat under 1200 (I've been struggling with an eating disorder, so this is a lot for me) and I've been thinking about getting up to 1500 as a start. I feel like I'm plateuing right now, but I also haven't been around a scale in about a month. I'm so scared though! I love reading yall's success stories...gives me hope!
  • themeaningofthemorning
    Options
    Looking at your diary, it seems like you're consistently either a ton OVER under your calorie goal... and I can't make a definite statement without whipping out a calculator, but it seems like your indulgences are outweighing the extra deficits you're earning on days where you're coming in under goal... and then some. You probably need to be paying more attention to your calorie goal and trying to end each day MUCH closer to that goal. If you end a day with an extra deficit, be extremely careful not to out-eat that number on your indulgence days.
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I went from 1220 + exercise calories to eating a static number of 1700, which I calculated out using my TDEE -20% after including a basic exercise schedule. I've been losing a pretty steady 1 -1.5 per week, and I'm satisfied! :)
  • victoriacedeno96
    Options
    Ok so Calories need to be upped so that your metabolism doesn't go into starvation mode. If your body is in starvation mode it will hold onto your fat instead of get ride of it. Also you cannot Yo-Yo from day to day. You have to be consistent no going crazy on cheat days. Look at your calories for one week they need to average out to the amount your suppose to be eating. I went from 1200 calories to 1800 and lost 3 pounds the first week.
  • TallGiraffe
    TallGiraffe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for this info, i am going to try the tdee because my weight loss has stalled
  • glassxxballerina
    Options
    I'm set on 1546 based on TDEE/BMR (30% deficit). I usually exercise 6 days a week (triathlon training) and, depending on the day and how hungry I am afterwards, might eat back most of my exercise calories (based on burn calculated by HR monitor). So I usually end up around 2,000 or so most days.

I've been having a rough time lately with keeping my calories on track but when I do I lose between 2-5 pounds per week.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I so don't get this upping your calories to lose weight! Sorry, total novice here can someone explain please!! :-)

Don't think about it as "eating more," think about it as "eating right."

We need to eat less than our body burns in a day to lose weight. But if you eat toooooo much less, your body freaks out. Hormone levels get screwed up, you can get fatigued, you retain fluid when you do eat, and eventually, it can mess up your metabolism. Not to mention, any time you lose weight, you lose some amount of muscle with the fat. If you're not eating right, you lose a larger percentage of muscle than you would if your body was getting the right nutrition. In other words, you're losing pounds, but not necessarily all that much fat.

For instance, my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is about 2300 calories. The ideal deficit for weight loss is between 10-20% below your TDEE, especially if you don't have a lot of weight to lose. So that's between 1800-2100-ish calories a day.

If I were eating just 1200 calories, that only giving it about HALF the fuel my body needs.

If your employer cut your salary in half, you'd have a hard time getting by for more than a few weeks. But you could probably manage, if you HAD to, on a 10-20% cut in wages. You'd adapt. Same thing with your body.
  • Icedcoffee29
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! Love reading this.
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    I went from 1200 to 1500 - 1600 and lost 4.5 pounds pretty quickly! And being so close to goal, I was really surprised by that. Stalling out for me now though....I'm thinking about upping again. I work out a lot, too.

It feels so good to fuel myself! :)

Good luck!
  • Icedcoffee29
    Options
    I went from 1200 to 1500 - 1600 and lost 4.5 pounds pretty quickly! And being so close to goal, I was really surprised by that. Stalling out for me now though....I'm thinking about upping again. I work out a lot, too.

It feels so good to fuel myself! :)

Good luck!

Wow you've done amazing! Nice job!
  • Lyndz_88
    Options
    I was given 1200 a day but i have over 5 stone to lose, so i am eating 1600 a day, then im gonna drop 100 every stone i lose, to prevent a plateau (hopefully)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    <
    Been eating at 1800+ for nearly a year with fabulous results. Best progress I've made has been since making this change and eating according to the info here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

This past week I've been tired, and eating over goal every day, so decided to up cals again - just reset to 1950 and will see how this goes for the next 4-6 weeks, and adjust if needed.

It works, it's sustainable, and so much easier for me - I really wish I had discovered the the thread I linked three years ago. No more guilt from going over 1200, or even 1400 or 1500 cals, no more plateaus, no more anxiety over birthdays, dinners out, holidays - my body is so much happier, and I look and feel so much better.

Don't be afraid to eat more - there are so many of us having such good results, and countless threads posted weekly from people who are "staying below 1200, working my butt off and scale isn't moving" or "tired and burnt out", "scale is stuck, this doesn't work even though I eat my 1200", etc etc. Which crowd do you want to be like? :tongue:

My dairy is open, and there are other photos in my profile (I think those are public, not sure), feel free to have a look. I'll never go back to under-fueling this body - 44 years old and I look and feel better than I did in my 30's. :drinker:
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I eat 2000 calories every day.

I lost every single pound eating this way.