So who's upped their calories to lose?

Options

Replies

• MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories from 1200 to 1400. I work out, eating some of my calories back and aim for a 250-350 deficit at the end of the day.

I'm maintaining. I don't have much to lose and the last few pounds are stubborn. I don't know why the weight isn't coming off but I'm not torn up about it either. I feel healthy and happy and I'm not hungry anymore.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I am a bit confused with the TDEE calculation. Based on http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ , I get around 1700 calories with just sleeping and doing office work. If I do my intense 45min running and another 30min weights training, the TDEE goes to 1800.
    2 questions:
    1) why some that weight less than me are set at 2300 calories?
    2) some says to eat back your calories. I normally burn 600-700 calories. Based on the calculator it doesn't make sense. 100 < 600-700!

If I put that you sleep for 8 hours and the rest very light, then your TDEE is 1764. If I input based on the exercise level that you listed, and allocating 2h in light, your TDEE is 1988.(But if you burn 600-700 with your exercise, then it is probably more)

Sleeping: mins
    Very light: mins Reading, Sitting, Driving, Eating, Chatting, WatchingTV
    Light: mins Walking, Cleaning, Cooking, Slow bicycling
    Moderate: mins Fast walking, Carrying bags, Sex
    Heavy Moderate: mins Swiming, Running, Basketball, Fast bicycling, Workingout

So, you should be eating at TDEE-15%= 1689. Otherwise, you can do 1500 if you start as sedentary, but you have to eat all your exercise calories.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Me.
    Worked like a charm.
  • steffers151
    steffers151 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was at 1200 and lost half a pound in a month. I changed my goal settings, and MFP bumped me up to 1400. I've been eating between 1250-1350 calories, and this past week I actually lost 1.2 lbs!!
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    From 1200 to 1350 :drinker:
  • ANNMARIE101062
    Options
    Hi I am new to this and my calories are 1250. i have been doing this for a week and only lost just about 2 pounds . i have to admit i dont really exercise i know i should but im being honest . My protein for the day is usually no more than 47. im always over what do you eat with little protein ? any suggestions ? thanks everyone
    Ann Marie
  • jal16jal
    Options
    I am upping mine today. After logging my first couple days I realized I am only eating around 650 calories a day. My calculator says 1200 so I will be going up to that. Hoping it works.
  • healthyjmt
    Options
    My TDEE is 2190 and my BMR is 1517. So what does everyone think - do I go to -20% and eat 1623 or go with 1800 calories. I exercise 70 minutes 6 days a week. I do all cardio - bike, treadmill or elliptical 3 days a week and the other 3 days I do the circuit at Planet Fitness for 3o minutes and then get on the treadmill. I'm on information overload and just want some advice. Thanks.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    when I was a teenager I didn't eat that much at all, I think when I first started on here my friend suggesting noting down what I did eat. It came to about 900 calories a day, my relationship with food was terrible. Soon as I started eating much more, I'm eating 2090 at the moment, the weight started to come off. I've lost 31lb so far but hit a bit of a wall but I'm going to keep going as there's more to loose :D
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    me too, I use the scooby workshop calculator, and Im doing 5 hrs a week exercise from now on. That gives me 2100cals to eat but im aiming for 2000cals just to be a little under as thats a bit amount for me. Even at goal and exercising 3-5hrs a week Il be able to eat 2100cals so its all good now. It worked great for me the past month of eating tdee minus 20% so im keeping it up

I've been doing the exact same. The scale was going up and down so I put it away. After eating like this and several weeks of lifting 4 days a week with 15-30 minutes of treadmill or bike and 1 day of cardio and abs and I have seen a huge difference in my body. I love it!
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1500 this week. I admit I am scared to climb to 1800. LOL

Its a decent jump from 1250 to 1800, but from 1500 to 1800 is just 2 protein shakes (or 2 large scoops in one big shake).

Or have you added those in to your diary already to go from 1250 to 1500?
  • JlenniferL
    JlenniferL Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1350 calories and walking everyday and hungrier by end of work day, I increase to 1400.
  • Dfracassa
    Dfracassa Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I moved up slowly -- from 1300 to 1400 -- and haven't seen any changes yet. Maybe I should go higher?
  • Icedcoffee29
    Options
    I'm at 1500 this week. I admit I am scared to climb to 1800. LOL

Its a decent jump from 1250 to 1800, but from 1500 to 1800 is just 2 protein shakes (or 2 large scoops in one big shake).

Or have you added those in to your diary already to go from 1250 to 1500?

I'm going slowly, I went 1250 - 1350 for a week, now at 1500, then moving to 1700 for a week, then 1800.
  • missjeevious
    missjeevious Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i went straight from 1200 + eating exercise to 2150-2250 daily. I was scared as hell. I had stalled out around 170 for months and months despite feeling like i was working so hard. I dropped four lbs. this month (I started eating more to weigh less at the beginning of February). I'm just set to take my first week-long break and eat at TDEE for one week. It is a hard leap to make, but man I feel amazing and am enjoying life and my body is looking better and better. for the first time in my life i think i have a plan that can work for the rest of my life, it's so achievable.
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Wow, I needed this thread BAD! I just upped mine to 1850 from 1400. We'll see how it goes!
  • woodsy0912
    Options
    Bump! I am considering this soon.
  • Lilyyy7
    Options
    Doooo it! :) It worked for me. I had a couple weeks where I wasn't able to go to the gym and eat the amount of calories that I wanted. Went back on the scale to see I lost weight. I think once you start hitting your plateu, you want to start working on building muscles. Your muscles need FUEL! And these muscles with help with burning calories too! Good luck!
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 2190 and my BMR is 1517. So what does everyone think - do I go to -20% and eat 1623 or go with 1800 calories. I exercise 70 minutes 6 days a week. I do all cardio - bike, treadmill or elliptical 3 days a week and the other 3 days I do the circuit at Planet Fitness for 3o minutes and then get on the treadmill. I'm on information overload and just want some advice. Thanks.

Since you are exercising that much, I would go with 1800.

My BMR is 1507 and TDEE is around 2200, I eat around 1600-1700 ( I Just upped it a week ago) and I have way more energy now for all my workouts. You are doing a lot more than me, I would suggest 1800 absolutely.
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I did.

Started out doing what most people do which is "just don't eat very much". By not very much, I mean about 1700 calories while exercising 4 days a week. I'm 6'2", 228 so that is half of my maintenance level. I lost a lot of muscle mass and then stalled (not surprising). Figured my tdee-20% to be around 2600, slowly increased to that level over the course of 4 weeks or so, have lost weight and bf% in the process, and most of all am satisfied during the day and not starving.

If you jump up a lot at once, don't be surprised to see the scale jump up a couple pounds at first. This is most likely glycogen stores filling, along with water weight, and is NOT fat. That is a typical response to upping calorie intake. Just remember that it will disappear as soon as it appeared and stay on track.