So who's upped their calories to lose?

Options

Replies

• jtmurph7
    jtmurph7 Posts: 83
    Options
    i just upped mine last week from 1200 to 2065 which is my TDEE it has taken me almost all week to increase my calories. I feel so much better I work out 5 or more days a week I have cut back on my cardio and started increasing the weight I am lifting. I glanced through this thread to see if any one has mentioned EM2WL ( Eat More 2 Weigh Less) There is a group on MFP and there is all kinds if information and great people to help you out and answer questions. I haven't lost or gained in this week but I feel so much better. I have more energy and I am able to workout harder.
    Increasing your calories is the best thing you can do!

Tammy :flowerforyou:
  • friggie
    friggie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    mfp says I should eat 1200 calories before adding excersize in. I knew that was a bit low, so I upped it to around 1500 -1600 a day and I am losing very well. In the past 9 days I have lost 6 pounds.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I upped from 1200 to 1400 net and broke a 3 week plateau.
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1200 calories and not eating my exercise calories in the beginning. I was so hungry, cranky, etc.... Now, I eat at least 1500 and am thinking I need to up that to 1700 because I do a lot of exercise. Its actually feeling doable with being able to eat this many calories.
  • kerryanne68
    kerryanne68 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi all,I have been EM2WL at 1800 calories just under a week and have already lost almost a kilo.I was in retailing and was on my feet all day,was eating maybe once a day,bad i know but having coffee,etc on my breaks.I didn't really have an appetite.Anyway i never had a set of scales so didn't know how much i weighed.I jumped on a friends body/fat scales and i weighed 96 kilos..shock horror!I decided to start eating properly around 1600 calories a day at least,my weight wasn't budging,or so i thought but i tried on pants i haven't worn since last summer as they were too tight and they fit perfectly.So i have lost inches.I have been stuck on 96 kilos for weeks,so decided to eat at 20% below my TDEE and the weight has started dropping.It's all trial and error but i'm happy to know i'm losing inches as well as fueling my body.
  • nannukka
    nannukka Posts: 52
    Options
    I couldn't believe this would work - but it freaking does. I put my numbers in and I'm following the calorie amount it gives me (I put the recommended 1 lb a week weight loss) and it has been great. I can eat a lot and I am loosing for first time in LOOOOONG time. I have lost 5 lb in 2 weeks, which is such a miracle. I would highly recommend doing it slowly (putting 1lb recommendated weight loss/week) and tracking EVERYTHING you eat....
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I'd been plateaued since September, until last week! I upped to 1700 from 1500, I've dropped around 4lbs since I upped my cals on 11th of Feb. :)
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1550 calories plus my exercise calories and lost 1.1 pounds solid every week for 11 weeks straight. Lost the rest without calorie counting while in China. I have been averaging just over 2000 calories lately, with just standing and walking around at work, and I lost 1.4lbs last week! Even if your weight loss slows down a bit, it just means that you are maintaining more lean muscle mass while you lose fat.
  • ForABetterMe89
    Options
    I was eating 1200/ day and just no losing and not losing. I bumped it up to about 1400 and the weight is not starting to disappear.
  • Loulousq
    Loulousq Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    started at 1200 upped to 1300, then 1400, then 1800 recently and have lost what i gained during the upping :)
  • i went from 1,000,1200,1500 to im at 1770 and ive lost more and have had more energy
  • Icedcoffee29
    Options
    I definitely have more energy now!
  • Missyann68
    Missyann68 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    How long before you noticed weight loss once you increased your calories?
  • Icedcoffee29
    Options
    How long before you noticed weight loss once you increased your calories?

I personally had a almost 4lb loss the week I really upped. Most people it can take 3-5wks.
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories last week and have lost over 2lbs in the past week. I know that it will be slower but i read Fat 2 Fit's website and bought the book and the science makes sense.

Basically they say to eat the calories of the thinner you and eventually you will become that thinner person and it will be easier to maintain as you will know what you need to do to maintain. The biggest bonus is I am no longer hungry all the time!
  • AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    From 1300-1500 to 1900. I really thought I was going to gain weight, but nope, I lost 2 pounds after weeks of not losing anything.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I was using MFP's numbers to start even though I knew they were low. Found it hard to stick to it, found myself hungry often, but did lose 5 pounds the first week. Next week I couldn't help but eat more though and basically maintained. So ran numbers for myself on a few different websites for my TDEE then averaged the -20% figures to get a better caloric intake number. As suspected, I was about 500 calories down with MFP numbers. So I manually corrected it as what would be my average TDEE -20%, and then subtracted my exercise as well since MFP adds it back in. Been doing this two weeks and lost 3.8 pounds the first week and I believe I am down another 2 pounds still this week (weigh in is tomorrow). Feeling MUCH better with the extra calories and also feel it will be sustainable over time.

Good luck.
  • Susan2BHealthier
    Susan2BHealthier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Makes sense. I keep falling into the 1200 trap which is unsustainable. Then I wonder why,after a month, I stop losing weight and plateau, which makes me give up, and then I gain the weight back. Need a higher calorie amount I can live with and stay on to go the distance.
  • Alanakrahenbil
    Alanakrahenbil Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I started out with 1200, went up to 1400 and just changed it today to 1650. I also eat my exercise cals.
  • Icedcoffee29
    Options
    Welp I had a 2 pound gain this week and this is the week I went up to 1700 cals. I know it's normal, but still ugh!