Could I wear this dress to a friend's wedding?

Options

Replies

• jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    PLEASE don't. My 17 yo cousing wore a long lace gown to my wedding... and I wore a long... lace... gown :( I really didn't notice until people started talking about... I wanted people to talk about me, not my cousin. DON'T be that person ;)
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Noooooo. Honestly, you have a huge palette to choose from--why that? That honestly isn't even in style for this season. :noway:
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    Too bridal, I would not be happy ... But if you run it by your friend and she doesn't mind than it doesn't matter what it is. You probably should ask her, and not us.
  • Tennolina
    Tennolina Posts: 2,413
    Options
    No...way to close to "wedding dress" style. It's gorgeous, but wearing a white, floor length dress to a wedding is not advisable.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    If you wear a dress like that in white or off-white (bridal dress colors) people are going to think that you were actively trying to be disrespectful to the bride and the whole wedding. Sometimes people never forget things like that. You will make a bad impression. As others said, there is a whole rainbow of colors to choose from. A whole combination of attractive, beautiful styles that do not look like wedding gowns.

People really think stuff like that? I mean, really?

I'll be honest. If I was at a wedding and I saw someone wearing that dress I'd think "Wow. Gorgeous dress!" Not "OMG! I can't believe she wore that! How DARE she! I hope she's not seated at my table because I'll just b*tch slap the crap outta her for being so disrespectful!"

And if I were the bride I'd be thinking "Wow. What a gorgeous dress!"

I'm with you.

Maybe the bride is wearing blue(my grandmother did), or a huge frou-frou ball gown.

Arbitrary "dress codes" irritate me. Not judging people by the clothing that they wear is one lesson many people still need to learn.

I was only informing the gal of things I have heard other people say about weddings. Unless you know that the bride and her friends and family do not care, it is always best not to wear white to a western wedding (to avoid potential issues). In other countries a bride would never wear white, she wears bright colorful clothing because white is what a nun or a recent widow in mourning wears. I had two wedding ceremonies. At the first wedding my husband and I wore white and I just so happened to have another silvery white dress that I had worn to my college graduation that looked similar to this dress (only mine was tight and almost see through, so very revealing, it had been a gift) and I could change into it later to continue dancing and hanging around with my friends more comfortably (so at my wedding she would have been dressed almost identically to the bride). And at the second wedding celebration my husband and I were dressed colorfully and everyone else was wearing white. I was very young when I got married and the dress I got was very much on sale and was 8 sizes too big for me and a friend altered it to fit me, but it never really fit me perfectly, it was a bit too big. I would choose differently now that I have more fashion sense. But, it was pretty anyway.

But, I will always consider etiquette when going to another person's wedding (and I do not consider that to be an inconvenience to myself). I just thought everyone knew not to wear white to a wedding. I'm not saying I would judge people, but I am saying that people will. I personally do not remember what any of the guests were wearing to my wedding. If anyone wore white, I did not notice. The reality is that there are dress codes. You don't wear white to a wedding, you don't wear bright red to a funeral, you don't dress in a sexy slip dress when going to an office job or a parent/teacher conference. Because people "make a statement" with their clothing and people will wonder why you chose to make that statement.

And just for the record I would never think the things the first responder posted and I would never b!tch slap anyone for any reason other than as self-defense because they were attacking me. I honestly do not know where that came from or why her mind went there. B!tch slapping someone is way more disrespectful than the color of a dress. You definitely read a tone into my post that was not there.
  • ericadawn92
    ericadawn92 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I think the dress is gorgeous, but I agree with the many posters who have already said it would probably offend SOMEONE...if not the bride, then someone else who may or may not be offended enough to say something to you OR the bride OR both. People get crazy at weddings :P

Definitely find another occasion to wear it though! it's super beautiful!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Because you had to ask I'm assuming you already know the answer.

When I got married I'd be pretty pissed if someone else showed up in a bridal gown, and if I went to a friends wedding and someone other than the bride was wearing something that could be considered a bridal gown I would unabashed talk about them.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If you wear a dress like that in white or off-white (bridal dress colors) people are going to think that you were actively trying to be disrespectful to the bride and the whole wedding. Sometimes people never forget things like that. You will make a bad impression. As others said, there is a whole rainbow of colors to choose from. A whole combination of attractive, beautiful styles that do not look like wedding gowns.

I'll be honest. If I was at a wedding and I saw someone wearing that dress I'd think "Wow. Gorgeous dress!" Not "OMG! I can't believe she wore that! How DARE she! I hope she's not seated at my table because I'll just b*tch slap the crap outta her for being so disrespectful!"

I'm with you.

Maybe the bride is wearing blue(my grandmother did), or a huge frou-frou ball gown.

Arbitrary "dress codes" irritate me. Not judging people by the clothing that they wear is one lesson many people still need to learn.

I was only informing the gal of things I have heard other people say about weddings. Unless you know that the bride and her friends and family do not care, it is always best not to wear white to a western wedding (to avoid potential issues). In other countries a bride would never wear white, she wears bright colorful clothing because white is what a nun or a recent widow in mourning wears. I had two wedding ceremonies. At the first wedding my husband and I wore white and I just so happened to have another silvery white dress that I had worn to my college graduation that looked similar to this dress (only mine was tight and almost see through, so very revealing, it had been a gift) and I could change into it later to continue dancing and hanging around with my friends more comfortably (so at my wedding she would have been dressed almost identically to the bride). And at the second wedding celebration my husband and I were dressed colorfully and everyone else was wearing white. I was very young when I got married and the dress I got was very much on sale and was 8 sizes too big for me and a friend altered it to fit me, but it never really fit me perfectly, it was a bit too big. I would choose differently now that I have more fashion sense. But, it was pretty anyway.

But, I will always consider etiquette when going to another person's wedding (and I do not consider that to be an inconvenience to myself). I just thought everyone knew not to wear white to a wedding. I'm not saying I would judge people, but I am saying that people will. I personally do not remember what any of the guests were wearing to my wedding. If anyone wore white, I did not notice. The reality is that there are dress codes. You don't wear white to a wedding, you don't wear bright red to a funeral, you don't dress in a sexy slip dress when going to an office job or a parent/teacher conference. Because people "make a statement" with their clothing and people will wonder why you chose to make that statement.

And just for the record I would never think the things the first responder posted and I would never b!tch slap anyone for any reason other than as self-defense because they were attacking me. I honestly do not know where that came from or why her mind went there. B!tch slapping someone is way more disrespectful than the color of a dress. You definitely read a tone into my post that was not there.

The reality is that traditions and etiquette are alive and well, especially surrounding weddings. You may not agree with it (not "you" the person I quoted, but "you" the people she was responding to) but someone else's wedding isn't the place to be a rebel. White/ivory is a no-no. There are tons of beautiful dresses in the world and it's the bride's day, not the OP's.

Although, OP, if you think the bride won't mind then ask her. Just be aware that even if she says it's fine there will likely be people talking about it at the wedding.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

I'm with you.

The reality is that traditions and etiquette are alive and well, especially surrounding weddings. You may not agree with it (not "you" the person I quoted, but "you" the people she was responding to) but someone else's wedding isn't the place to be a rebel. White/ivory is a no-no. There are tons of beautiful dresses in the world and it's the bride's day, not the OP's.

Although, OP, if you think the bride won't mind then ask her. Just be aware that even if she says it's fine there will likely be people talking about it at the wedding.

OMG the comment about b*tch slapping was a JOKE. Chill out.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Some of the comments on here are another reason I won't ever have a real wedding...or if I do it will be a FUN, no snobby rules wedding. If the bride gets her panties in a twist over that dress clearly she isn't focused on the point of that day. To marry the man she loves. Not get all uppity over a dress. Ugh. Weddings are so lame. Vegas+Elvis+ no lame rules = real fun.

Oh and if tradition was really alive and well today in weddings why are 99.9% of the brides who wear white gowns not virgins? Just saying.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Some of the comments on here are another reason I won't ever have a real wedding...or if I do it will be a FUN, no snobby rules wedding. If the bride gets her panties in a twist over that dress clearly she isn't focused on the point of that day. To marry the man she loves. Not get all uppity over a dress. Ugh. Weddings are so lame. Vegas+Elvis+ no lame rules = real fun.

Oh and if tradition was really alive and well today in weddings why are 99.9% of the brides who wear white gowns not virgins? Just saying.

Because it's an urban legend that white was meant to represent purity? White was to signify wealth/the ability to wear a dress meant only for one day, and white to boot (which is, even now, an incredibly difficult color to maintain/wash).

Obviously, I and others know what the day is about... to get married to the person we love; but if a tradition exists and is upheld, why would someone want to wear a dress that would take attention away from BOTH the bride and groom? No one likes the heckler in the comedian's audience, or the aunt who talks at the top of her lungs about her medical issues. Why the need to focus attention on oneself at an event meant for another's attention?

It's sort of like going to a birthday party for someone else, but bringing a present for yourself. Sure, you can do that--but why would you, when it's not a day meant to highlight yourself?

This whole situation isn't something to fling at the bride as her being self-absorbed, not focused on the right thing, whatever. This is about the guest being aware of social norms, etiquette, and respect and choosing to go against them.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

I'm with you.

OMG the comment about b*tch slapping was a JOKE. Chill out.

Don't worry about it, I was just joking also.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Because it's an urban legend that white was meant to represent purity? White was to signify wealth/the ability to wear a dress meant only for one day, and white to boot (which is, even now, an incredibly difficult color to maintain/wash).

Obviously, I and others know what the day is about... to get married to the person we love; but if a tradition exists and is upheld, why would someone want to wear a dress that would take attention away from BOTH the bride and groom? No one likes the heckler in the comedian's audience, or the aunt who talks at the top of her lungs about her medical issues. Why the need to focus attention on oneself at an event meant for another's attention?

It's sort of like going to a birthday party for someone else, but bringing a present for yourself. Sure, you can do that--but why would you, when it's not a day meant to highlight yourself?

This whole situation isn't something to fling at the bride as her being self-absorbed, not focused on the right thing, whatever. This is about the guest being aware of social norms, etiquette, and respect and choosing to go against them.

Yeah, this. It's not that hard people, just don't wears white (just in case, ya know). It is a social convention and has nothing to do with what the bride and groom are focused on. No one even said the bride would care, just that someone would wonder what your intentions were. It's not even about tradition. It's just like you don't whip out a brush at the dinner table and start brushing your hair and causing pieces of your hair to land in everyone's food. Just basic social skills like that.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options

This, this and more this!!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Yeah, this. It's not that hard people, just don't wears white (just in case, ya know). It is a social convention and has nothing to do with what the bride and groom are focused on. No one even said the bride would care, just that someone would wonder what your intentions were. It's not even about tradition. It's just like you don't whip out a brush at the dinner table and start brushing your hair and causing pieces of your hair to land in everyone's food. Just basic social skills like that.

Yeah, and I'll be the first person to go against many social customs or norms I find ridiculous, but in terms of the "white" debate... I view it much more in terms of that "special day" etiquette (see also: birthday party, graduation party, whatever). The "respecting a special day for someone" doesn't seem out of place for someone to do. Someone is (generally) giving someone a dinner, entertainment, etc. because they want to share and celebrate one of the most important days of their life with him/her--why would one try to "one up" that with an outfit, or behavior, or anything, that would be nothing more than shifting attention away from the people of honor?
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    The reason I was considering this dress is because if you look at the close up it really looks much more GOLD than ivory to me. Before all the feedback I saw it as a gold dress with a little ivory.

And I could get if for half it's price in my size - a rare chance. It does not come in any other colors.

I don't know what bride is wearing. Our friend is the groom. But I know she is a nice girl and not the bridezilla type.

I also have a black cocktail dress. That is also inappropriate for a wedding. When it comes down to it there is way more than one arbitrary restriction.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Yeah, and I'll be the first person to go against many social customs or norms I find ridiculous, but in terms of the "white" debate... I view it much more in terms of that "special day" etiquette (see also: birthday party, graduation party, whatever). The "respecting a special day for someone" doesn't seem out of place for someone to do. Someone is (generally) giving someone a dinner, entertainment, etc. because they want to share and celebrate one of the most important days of their life with him/her--why would one try to "one up" that with an outfit, or behavior, or anything, that would be nothing more than shifting attention away from the people of honor?

Yeah, I agree with this and the other poster. There are many opportunities to rebel, but why do that at a friend's wedding? Or any celebration, trying to become the center of attention. And, like I said, you wouldn't show up at your friend's mom's funeral in a bright red dress, unless red was her favorite color and everyone was honoring her by wearing bright colors and singing and dancing.

It's fine to do things differently at your own wedding, but you don't decide to do that at some other person's wedding.

And it is not a reflection on what the bride and groom are thinking, or their marriage. To jump to a conclusion like that is complete nonsense. I'm surprised this conversation ever went this far. I had my wedding at a friend's summer home and my friends all worked together to create the beautiful decorations and cook food. They had an outdoor shower and my husband rebuilt it for them before the wedding. I helped paint their home. We wrote the entire ceremony ourselves (it was not traditional). It was very unusual and a lot of fun and full of love. We all have really good memories from it. During the ceremony we each planted a rose bush. The rose bushes are still there, 13 years later, flourishing. There are lots of ways to create your own beautiful celebration to enjoy your wedding with your partner and with your friends.
  • shawaniea
    shawaniea Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    if you hate the bride then YES! lol
  • paleirishmother
    Options
    Are you the one getting married to your friend? YES! So beautiful!
  • spinnybecky
    Options
    I'd hate to think that deep colors are my only option. It would be nice to wear something glamorous like this. But to where?

I don't go to top level benefit dinners, but I do go to plenty of weddings.

It would be nice to go all out and look gorgeous after loosing some weight.

Go out to see a play at a fancy theater, and to a fancy restaurant before or after. Or wear it to an office holiday party - my husband's office parties are always formal.

It is SUCH a gorgeous dress!!