Aspartame in Milk?

Options
This scares me and if approved could set up a scary precedent!

http://www.courthousenews.com/2013/02/21/55075.htm

"Dairy Industry Wants to Put Aspartame in Milk
By NICK MCCANN

WASHINGTON (CN) - Dairy industry groups have asked the Food and Drug Administration to be able to put artificial sweeteners in milk, and not change the label, claiming that it is so consumers can "more easily identify its overall nutritional value".
Read Courthouse News' Environmental Law Review.
The Food and Drug Administration is asking for data related to those sweeteners.
The International Dairy Foods Association (IDFA) and the National Milk Producers Federation (NMPF) filed a petition in 2009 requesting that the FDA amend its standard of identity for milk.
The petition asked the agency to allow the use of "any safe and suitable" sweetener for milk and asked to amend the standards of identity for 17 other milk and cream products.
Those products include sweetened condensed milk, whipping cream, yogurt and eggnog, which the groups say should be allowed to have "safe and suitable" sweeteners.
The groups request that the FDA "allow optional characterizing flavoring ingredients used in milk (e.g. chocolate flavoring added to milk) to be sweetened with any safe and suitable sweetener - including non-nutritive sweeteners such as aspartame."
FDA regulations currently only allow milk products to contain "nutritive sweeteners" (those with calories) which the agency generally recognizes as safe.
The groups say the amendments "would promote more healthful eating practices and reduce childhood obesity by providing for lower-calorie flavored milk products."
"They state that lower-calorie flavored milk would particularly benefit school children who, according to IDFA and NMPF, are more inclined to drink flavored milk than unflavored milk at school," the FDA wrote in its notice.
The groups also say they would help with programs that aim to improve nutrition in school meals and argue that the proposed amendments would promote "honesty and fair dealing in the marketplace," the FDA wrote.
The agency published a notice of the petition on Wednesday requesting comments, data, and information about the proposed amendment to the identity of milk products. The comments are due by May 21. "

Replies

• HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Just reading that makes me want to gag. I can't stand the taste of Aspartame. I don't like the idea of my kids getting it at school without me knowing either.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    yeah, no sugar added chocolate milk would not be a product I'd be interested in AT ALL...
  • sherim71
    sherim71 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Aspartame causes migraines. And other issues that I'm sure I"m unaware of. I don't like this idea either.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with them adding things, so long as they're on the label. While I don't believe there's anything wrong with artificial sweeteners, there are people who are sensitive to them so they need to be able to informed choices.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    If its really because they want to prevent obesity then they should stop making flavoured milk and only offer whole milk. It's quite worrying where the food industry is heading.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Ugh! Quit trying to poison every thing we eat!

Makes me glad I can't drink it!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    once again - grateful I live in Canada.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    They would have to put it on the label because:

"One caveat: Aspartame contains phenylalanine, which can be harmful to people with the rare disease phenylketonuria and should be avoided by them."

As recognized by
    adalogo-small5.png
    http://forecast.diabetes.org/magazine/food-thought/size-your-sweetener-options?page=1
  • _noob_
    Options

"One caveat: Aspartame contains phenylalanine, which can be harmful to people with the rare disease phenylketonuria and should be avoided by them."

As recognized by
    adalogo-small5.png
    http://forecast.diabetes.org/magazine/food-thought/size-your-sweetener-options?page=1

but could they get around that because milk already has phenylalanine. I can't remember seeing any warnings on yogurts sweetened with aspartame.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    .... What makes milk so special that you can't sell "chocolate milk" that has artificial sweetener in it?
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

As recognized by
    adalogo-small5.png

but could they get around that because milk already has phenylalanine. I can't remember seeing any warnings on yogurts sweetened with aspartame.

Didn't say warning just said it would have to be in the list of ingredients.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Obviously aspartame would be in the ingredients if it was added.

But what's so special about milk products that you can't put aspartame or sucralose in them? What's the reasoning there? You can put it in any other product, as long as you list it in the ingredients.
  • _noob_
    Options

As recognized by
    adalogo-small5.png

oh, you see PKU warning on sodas sweetened with aspartame. that's why I mentioned that.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I'm intolerant to aspartame, it makes me ill. So no, I really don't agree AT ALL with it going in food without it being on the label

Also, I don't get this whole thing about putting *anything* in food without listing it on the ingredients.... for every food or additive that exists, you can probably find someone, somewhere who's allergic or intolerant to it. And people have the right to choose what they eat and don't eat. They can put what they like in processed food as far as I'm concerned, but I at the very least want to be able to read the list of ingredients and make my own choice about whether or not I eat food that contains any particular ingredient.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

As recognized by
    adalogo-small5.png

oh, you see PKU warning on sodas sweetened with aspartame. that's why I mentioned that.

I was actually talking to OP after reading:
    "Dairy industry groups have asked the Food and Drug Administration to be able to put artificial sweeteners in milk, and not change the label"
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    OH MYLANTA TIME TO BUY ME A COW AND MILK THAT MOOMOO
  • Astacia74
    Astacia74 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Gee - finally something that makes me glad I am lactose intolerant :huh:
  • Shock_Wave
    Options
    Gee - finally something that makes me glad I am lactose intolerant :huh:

lol it has not been approved..
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Obviously aspartame would be in the ingredients if it was added.

If that's the case then I don't have a problem with it. The wording in the article implied that they're not changing the label.... which implies that it won't be in the ingredients....? or is this some Brit Eng. vs Am Eng thing?
    But what's so special about milk products that you can't put aspartame or sucralose in them? What's the reasoning there? You can put it in any other product, as long as you list it in the ingredients.

Nothing. So long as it's on the label (which in my dialect means anywhere on the label, which would include the list of ingredients) so I can choose to not eat it, because it makes me ill.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    wuts mare gross is 'puss' in milk BMAO