Aspartame in Milk?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    By putting aspartame into milk and not labeling it in the ingredients list,

Stop right there. No one does that. No one wants to do that. That is not what they are asking for permission to do.
  • accipiter
    Options
    Maybe I'm confused? From what I read in the original article:
    Dairy industry groups have asked the Food and Drug Administration to be able to put artificial sweeteners in milk, and not change the label, claiming that it is so consumers can "more easily identify its overall nutritional value".

Isn't that what's happening? I'd like some clarification :(
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: The American Dietetic Association?//!! Really---don't make me laugh. The ADA is TOTALLY in bed with the Big Pharma/Big Chemical dynamic. Type II diabetes is TOTALLY reversible, in most cases, with proper diet (avoiding sugar and simple carbs and avoiding artificial sweeteners---because they spike blood insulin levels) and through a program of cardio and weight lifting (which increases insulin sensitivity in muscles). But all that the ADA mentions on their website is that if "diet and exercise" (and remember, the ADA promotes a low-fat diet when a low-fat diet has NEVER proven to successfully defeat Type II diabetes, but a low sugar/simple carb diet has) "doesn't help, then medication might be in order". And when you look at their official website---my, my, what do we see? But adds from some of the biggest pharmaceutical houses in the world! There is an odor of rattus, rattus about that, don't you think?
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    :mad: :explode: :mad: :explode: :mad: :explode: :mad: :explode:

We're all going to end up like on that Buy&Large Spaceship from Wall-E. We're going to be floating around on hovercrafts with 60oz shakes in hand.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Dairy industry groups have asked the Food and Drug Administration to be able to put artificial sweeteners in milk, and not change the label, claiming that it is so consumers can "more easily identify its overall nutritional value".

The original article is terrible. Here is a better one:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/26/aspartame-milk_n_2764729.html?utm_hp_ref=business

They are allowed to add sugar or HFCS to milk and still call it milk. For example "chocolate milk" always has HFCS or sugar added to it.

They want to be able to add zero-calorie sweeteners like aspartame, Stevia, etc, instead of HFCS/sugar and still sell the items as "chocolate milk." Right now, doing so is illegal.

I think it would be good to be able to buy "chocolate milk" that has aspartame or stevia instead of HFCS added to it.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: The American Dietetic Association?//!! Really---don't make me laugh. The ADA is TOTALLY in bed with the Big Pharma/Big Chemical dynamic. Type II diabetes is TOTALLY reversible, in most cases, with proper diet (avoiding sugar and simple carbs and avoiding artificial sweeteners---because they spike blood sugar/blood insulin levels) and through a program of cardio and weight lifting (which increases insulin sensitivity in muscles). But all that the ADA mentions on their website is that if "diet and exercise" (and remember, the ADA promotes a low-fat diet when a low-fat diet has NEVER proven to successfully defeat Type II diabetes, but a low sugar/simple carb diet has) then, "medication might be in order". And when you look at their official website---my, my, what do we see? But adds from some of the biggest pharmaceutical houses in the world! There is an odor of rattus, rattus about that, don't you think?

Agreed! .....doh I was heading to bed
  • accipiter
    Options

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/26/aspartame-milk_n_2764729.html?utm_hp_ref=business

They are allowed to add sugar or HFCS to milk and still call it milk. For example "chocolate milk" always has HFCS or sugar added to it.

They want to be able to add zero-calorie sweeteners like aspartame, Stevia, etc, instead of HFCS/sugar and still sell the items as "chocolate milk." Right now, doing so is illegal.

I think it would be good to be able to buy "chocolate milk" that has aspartame or stevia instead of HFCS added to it.

Ah, I see, thanks for the clarification! As long as it's labeled (cane sugar, HFCS, stevia, aspartame), then that's fine. As long as the consumer can see what's in the milk and decide based on that. Personally I don't consume aspartame because it gives me headaches and I try to avoid artificial sweeteners, but if someone who is, say, diabetic wants to buy chocolate milk, then it's a good option to have!
  • gingerygal
    gingerygal Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    In my college biology class we did an experiment with slime molds and their rate of growth with certain foods and conditions. The slime mold came on petri dishes, and HAD to be returned IN CLASS after the experiment because if you threw it away it would cause an outbreak of this stuff that did not sound pleasant. It can live through negative temps, extremely hot temps, and will grow off of basically anything put into the dish (oats, cheese, etc). It's kind of a boss.

I chose aspartame as my weapon to see how fast it would grow. IT KILLED IT IN LESS THAN A DAY. I thought maybe I had the rogue bad slime mold because they never die, so I got another one and it killed it again. My professor was pretty shocked, as no one had ever killed it before.

Point is, I'm not eating anything that causes something that can kill a slime mold in less than a day. Also, it gives my brother seizures and migraines.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Options

Ah, I see, thanks for the clarification! As long as it's labeled (cane sugar, HFCS, stevia, aspartame), then that's fine. As long as the consumer can see what's in the milk and decide based on that. Personally I don't consume aspartame because it gives me headaches and I try to avoid artificial sweeteners, but if someone who is, say, diabetic wants to buy chocolate milk, then it's a good option to have!

Surely a diabetic shouldn't be consuming these items at all?
  • accipiter
    Options
    Surely a diabetic shouldn't be consuming these items at all?

I agree, but there are some diabetics out there (like my father) who think that drinking junk, as long as it doesn't have real sugar, is okay for him. If the option isn't there, often he'll buy a full-sugar version because he wants that particular food or drink.

Though if someone was diabetic and had a healthy diet and wanted chocolate milk as a 'treat' once in a blue moon, I can't imagine it would be harmful for them to have a sugar-free option.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    How can SO many people miss the point?!??

Milk, the white stuff, will not have anything added, it will be, as ever, milk.

However

Flavoured milks canot have aspartame in and still be called "flavoured milk" but they can have sugar (or whatever) in, and most of them do.

So; now, at the moment (in the USA), "chocolate milk" cannot have aspartame in. It would have to be called "chocolate flavoured milk-based drink" or whatever, and the "chocolate milk" (or strawberry or whatever) you buy cannot have it in.

NOBODY is saying it wont be listed in the ingredients. Just like diet coke is still coke but contains aspartame.

Got it?

:tongue:
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Why not just sweeten it NATURALLY? Why is that so friggin' hard?! Maybe with erythritol or stevia-- or even xylitol-- it prevents cavities, for goodness sake.

Why must be shove these awful chemicals down their throats? **Sigh**
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I just want to clarify that reduced calorie flavored milks (ie, artificially sweetened) are already on many schools. Mainstream dairies, like Borden's produce them.

The purpose of this law is to change the labels on these products, so that you have to read the ingredients list to know that it is artificially sweetened, rather than having "reduced calorie" on the front. It applies to awhile list of dairy products, as well, not just milk.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Options
    I just want to clarify that reduced calorie flavored milks (ie, artificially sweetened) are already on many schools. Mainstream dairies, like Borden's produce them.

The purpose of this law is to change the labels on these products, so that you have to read the ingredients list to know that it is artificially sweetened, rather than having "reduced calorie" on the front. It applies to awhile list of dairy products, as well, not just milk.

They give flavoured milk out at school there? In UK it's only real milk.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    In my college biology class we did an experiment with slime molds and their rate of growth with certain foods and conditions. The slime mold came on petri dishes, and HAD to be returned IN CLASS after the experiment because if you threw it away it would cause an outbreak of this stuff that did not sound pleasant. It can live through negative temps, extremely hot temps, and will grow off of basically anything put into the dish (oats, cheese, etc). It's kind of a boss.

I chose aspartame as my weapon to see how fast it would grow. IT KILLED IT IN LESS THAN A DAY. I thought maybe I had the rogue bad slime mold because they never die, so I got another one and it killed it again. My professor was pretty shocked, as no one had ever killed it before.

Point is, I'm not eating anything that causes something that can kill a slime mold in less than a day. Also, it gives my brother seizures and migraines.

Salt will kill a slug pretty fast, would you also avoid all salt?
  • concordancia
    Options

They give flavoured milk out at school there? In UK it's only real milk.

Yep. Our kids are so used to this stuff that if you take it out of the schools, average consumption drops. I don't know of any studies that were carried on long term to see if consumption adjusts over time.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Why not just sweeten it NATURALLY? Why is that so friggin' hard?! Maybe with erythritol or stevia-- or even xylitol-- it prevents cavities, for goodness sake.

I'm sure they could do that too, if it needs sweetening at all. Nobody is forcing anybody to drink chocolate milk, just like nobody is forcing anybody to drink coke, or juice or whatever.

Just drink plain milk, problem solved. NOBODY IS SUGGESTING ASPRTAME BE ADDED TO PLAIN MILK.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Research has shown that artificial sweeteners cause insulin spikes and those insulin spikes make the Type II diabetic person ravenous! They would be much better off without artificial sweeteners. I do not use sugar, simple carbs or artificial sweeteners and I'm still here! In fact, my health has significantly improved.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Options

I'm sure they could do that too, if it needs sweetening at all. Nobody is forcing anybody to drink chocolate milk, just like nobody is forcing anybody to drink coke, or juice or whatever.

Just drink plain milk, problem solved. NOBODY IS SUGGESTING ASPRTAME BE ADDED TO PLAIN MILK.

They are giving it to your children!
  • concordancia
    Options

Some do: http://www.cargillfoods.com/wcm/groups/public/@cseg/@food/@all/documents/document/na3062630.pdf

But if they add any sweetener without calories, it has to have the "reduced" label on the front.